Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Old Oct 29, 13, 5:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: EVA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Plus
Posts: 35
Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

was looking around but didnt find anything that answers this specific question.


Looking to book a LAX-> TPE RT ticket with EVA, i know that I need to purchase B fare ticket for upgrade.

I know that B upgrades to J, but when searching for award availability do i search for J or I? (with expert flyer)

Also to my understanding what i need to do is buy on eva B ticket, call united and upgrade, is that correct? Is there a better way to check availability for upgrade before buying the EVA ticket?
justmexp is offline  
Old Oct 29, 13, 6:23 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,704
You need to search for I inventory when you want to upgrade using miles.
You are correct that you need to purchase the B fare first and then contact United to upgrade using your UA miles.
Use expterflyer to check for I inventory for the flight you want, and once you spot I>0, purchase your flight and upgrade immediately afterwards.
If I=0, don't purchase the ticket yet and keep checking until I becomes positive.
agjil is offline  
Old Oct 30, 13, 1:51 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: EVA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Plus
Posts: 35
Is upgrade award availability and award ticket availability the same? Like if an upgrade for business is available then award should be too and vice versa?
justmexp is offline  
Old Oct 30, 13, 9:53 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,198
Originally Posted by justmexp View Post
Is upgrade award availability and award ticket availability the same? Like if an upgrade for business is available then award should be too and vice versa?
For the Star Alliance Upgrade Awards the inventory is the same. That's not necessarily the case if redeeming miles from the program which operates the flight.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 13, 11:34 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 24
Does the upgrade from economy using a star alliance mileage upgrade go into the elite class or royal class?

Thanks,
Warren




Originally Posted by justmexp View Post
was looking around but didnt find anything that answers this specific question.


Looking to book a LAX-> TPE RT ticket with EVA, i know that I need to purchase B fare ticket for upgrade.

I know that B upgrades to J, but when searching for award availability do i search for J or I? (with expert flyer)

Also to my understanding what i need to do is buy on eva B ticket, call united and upgrade, is that correct? Is there a better way to check availability for upgrade before buying the EVA ticket?
warrenc1 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 13, 11:44 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: EVA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Plus
Posts: 35
it goes directly to royal class
justmexp is offline  
Old Nov 7, 13, 1:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hollywierd Hills, CA
Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Posts: 373
I'm trying to do the exact same thing right now. I understand either Y or B fares are upgradeable. Additionally, instead of calling United, you can try using this website-

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...rdUpgrade.aspx

Hope we aren't looking at the same flights.
ORDSteve is offline  
Old Nov 7, 13, 2:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 24
Thanks!

Thank you for the information


Originally Posted by ORDSteve View Post
I'm trying to do the exact same thing right now. I understand either Y or B fares are upgradeable. Additionally, instead of calling United, you can try using this website-

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...rdUpgrade.aspx

Hope we aren't looking at the same flights.
warrenc1 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 13, 1:11 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITH
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 151
Quick q -- I was looking to do the same thing (buy econ ticket on EVA and then upgrade with UA miles) but when I check ExpertFlyer for I inventory it's not listed (as in, "I" fare class is not listed, only C, J, D, K, etc.). Did other people not have luck with this, or does ExpertFlyer just not show upgrade inventory for EVA?

Thanks!
Adam
autobahnal is offline  
Old Dec 3, 13, 1:53 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,198
I is the business award class, not a revenue bucket. Search for business class awards using your favorite tool (United, Aeroplan and ANA are all pretty solid for BR flights) and that should get you the data you need.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 13, 2:33 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITH
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I is the business award class, not a revenue bucket. Search for business class awards using your favorite tool (United, Aeroplan and ANA are all pretty solid for BR flights) and that should get you the data you need.
Awesome...thanks!!
autobahnal is offline  
Old Dec 10, 13, 5:10 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: United Plat
Posts: 371
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I is the business award class, not a revenue bucket. Search for business class awards using your favorite tool (United, Aeroplan and ANA are all pretty solid for BR flights) and that should get you the data you need.
Are travel agents able to see I class inventory in their booking system? Thanks.
sfo3388 is offline  
Old Dec 12, 13, 5:20 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: United Plat
Posts: 371
Upgraded with UA miles. The itinerary can only be credit to EVA?

Bought a BR B-class ticket and upgraded to Business Class with United miles. On EVA website, the reservation became Z class. This is what I found from EVA website:

Mileage accrual with cabin class upgrade(Booking Z/U class code)
The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines.


Does it mean once the reservation became Z class, EVA's Infinity MileageLands program is the only option I can credit the miles to?
sfo3388 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 13, 10:54 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,807
Originally Posted by sfo3388 View Post
Bought a BR B-class ticket and upgraded to Business Class with United miles. On EVA website, the reservation became Z class. This is what I found from EVA website:

Mileage accrual with cabin class upgrade(Booking Z/U class code)
The mileage record with cabin class upgrade is based on the purchased fare class and can be credited to the Infinity MileageLands membership account only. It is not applied to transfer to other partner airlines.


Does it mean once the reservation became Z class, EVA's Infinity MileageLands program is the only option I can credit the miles to?
EVA used to have this rule that if you want to use EVA miles to upgrade, you must credit to EVA. It almost seemed like an IT limitation to me.

Now that it is part of *A, I don't see how that rule can be applied to *A customers. I wonder if others are seeing their booking chaning to Z also, instead of I.
username is offline  
Old Dec 14, 13, 10:39 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,198
Originally Posted by sfo3388 View Post
Are travel agents able to see I class inventory in their booking system? Thanks.
As a general rule, no.
sbm12 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: