Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: United
I recently upgraded from Y and B to Biz on EVA using the UA SAUA website. Has anyone had experience upgrading from elite class -> biz? SAUA only say you can upgrade from Y, B and I think the elite class uses other fare buckets.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by opusone
Has anyone had experience upgrading from elite class -> biz? SAUA only say you can upgrade from Y, B and I think the elite class uses other fare buckets.
From the UA website listing additional upgradeable fares:
EVA Airways – K class
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: United
thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:44 pm
azj

So... would a Y class booking, upgrade to Business class? or Elite class? Is there any way to find out availability prior to making the booking? I'm not going to book in Y and not be able to upgrade, when I can find better deals in Business class elsewhere. I'd like the nonstop EVA flight, but I'd go 1-stop for the right price, keeping in Star.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: spg platinum, hyatt diamond
Help w checking upgrade availabilty

Could someone help check to see if there are upgradable seats on Eva flights on the dates below? I'd very much appreciate it.. I called united and they said they can't see availabilty for start alliance partner flights.

9/30 sfo-tpe
10/8 or 10/9 tpe-sfo

Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mellinzyellin
Could someone help check to see if there are upgradable seats on Eva flights on the dates below? I'd very much appreciate it.. I called united and they said they can't see availabilty for start alliance partner flights.

9/30 sfo-tpe
10/8 or 10/9 tpe-sfo

Thanks!
Just search the UA site (or NH or AP) for business award availability. It's the same inventory.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: spg platinum, hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just search the UA site (or NH or AP) for business award availability. It's the same inventory.
I did that but no Eva flights came up... There are fed seats left based on the Eva site...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:55 pm

I did that but no Eva flights came up... There are fed seats left based on the Eva site...
That means no upgrade.

BR (Eva) typically releases business class award seats beginning 30 days prior to departure.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
That means no upgrade.

BR (Eva) typically releases business class award seats beginning 30 days prior to departure.
Actually my experience is that BR opens up business class seats within
the last 7 days prior to departure, and sometimes within only the last
3-4 days. There is no use checking more than 1 week out.

Just set up an alert with Expert Flyer for I availability on the flights you want.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: mileage plus
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Actually my experience is that BR opens up business class seats within
the last 7 days prior to departure, and sometimes within only the last
3-4 days. There is no use checking more than 1 week out.

Just set up an alert with Expert Flyer for I availability on the flights you want.
It sounds like it's a bit of a gamble....

You spend a couple of hundred dollars more for the B/Y fare (versus cheap V fare) and hope that award upgrades open up a week or so before the flight.

Is there a better way?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by bikecraft
Is there a better way?
Don't buy Y or B, buy a premium economy K class, which is also upgradeable (using UA miles). It won't cost that much more than a V. And you'll fly in PE even if you can't clear the upgrade.

(and btw I don't agree at all with the post above that there's no point in looking for inventory more than a week out. I see it right now SFO-TPE 13 days out (Aug. 31) and I've seen it farther in advance.)

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 18, 2016 at 8:09 am
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:44 pm

Don't buy Y or B, buy a premium economy K class, which is also upgradeable (using UA miles). It won't cost that much more than a V. And you'll fly in PE even if you can't clear the upgrade.

(and btw I don't agree at all with the post above that there's no point in looking for inventory more than a week out. I see it right now SFO-TPE 13 days out (Aug. 31) and I've seen it farther in advance.)
Kacee, thanks for the info! Speaking of upgrades from Y/B/K. I thought only one-cabin upgrades are allowed. Y/B can upgrade to K, but no further. And K can upgrade to business.

On a few other threads, people are saying you can upgrade from Y/B to business IF you are using *A points.

Is that true?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by bikecraft
On a few other threads, people are saying you can upgrade from Y/B to business IF you are using *A points.

Is that true?
Yes. There are no *A upgrades to PE.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:56 pm

Yes. There are no *A upgrades to PE.
ah, ok good to know!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: United Plat

9/30 sfo-tpe
10/8 or 10/9 tpe-sfo

Thanks!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...edmiles-8.html

See post #108.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.