Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by dangeruss
How strictly is Emirates enforcing the RT-PCR vs standard PCR testing requirement on DXB bound flights (from USA)? We missed the note that a RT-PCR is required and got PCR tests and are now scrambling to find options for RT-PCR in NYC (which seems like everything is booked up).

EDIT: It's worth noting that most places do RT-PCR at this point, but sometimes it's not included in the results, which is what I'm worried about. We'll be getting our results fairly last second due to overstrained testing facilities in NYC.
if you get stuck there is one hour rt-pcr at jfk terminal 1
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by bdubs7
I am in the same situation as you, and have the same question.
Recently flew MLE-DXB-US. Had performed Abbott BinaxNow eMed test about 18 hours before boarding in MLE. Was prepared with QR code from Navica app, e-mailed test results, and test results posted in Navica app. At Emirates ticket counter in MLE they asked to see our test results. First thing we showed was the e-mailed test results (more specifically the attachment from that e-mail). They asked multiple times “Is this Antigen or PCR?” as they reviewed, we said “Antigen”. They kept looking at it and I was starting to think there could be an issue. We had screenshots of the DXB transit language specifying Antigen results were acceptable, just in case. After a couple minutes and comparing our passports to
the test results we were checked in without issue or any further questions.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: AC
Flying YYZ - DXB - HKG at the end of January. HK requires a PCR test taken within 48 hours of departure. I just want to confirm that window is calculated using my YYZ - DXB flight as YYZ is my point of origin and DXB is just my transit point? I.e. If I'm departing YYZ on Jan 30th at 20:15 my testing window starts Jan 28th at 20:15?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:28 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by kiokujai
Flying YYZ - DXB - HKG at the end of January. HK requires a PCR test taken within 48 hours of departure. I just want to confirm that window is calculated using my YYZ - DXB flight as YYZ is my point of origin and DXB is just my transit point? I.e. If I'm departing YYZ on Jan 30th at 20:15 my testing window starts Jan 28th at 20:15?
In most locations that would be the correct assumption, but it depends on the rules the final destination (HKG in this case) applies There definitely have been outliers (Canada interestingly being one example), so I strongly advise to check some official HKG source and not rely on FT information!
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by thijsseh
In most locations that would be the correct assumption, but it depends on the rules the final destination (HKG in this case) applies There definitely have been outliers (Canada interestingly being one example), so I strongly advise to check some official HKG source and not rely on FT information!
I actually did talk to an EK rep via live chat and that's what he told me. I more came on to FT just to get a second point of reference (reps get things wrong all the time). I've looked at the official HKG source but can't seem to find anything to clarify... they just mention 48 hours from departure.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by kiokujai
I actually did talk to an EK rep via live chat and that's what he told me. I more came on to FT just to get a second point of reference (reps get things wrong all the time). I've looked at the official HKG source but can't seem to find anything to clarify... they just mention 48 hours from departure.
Timatic currently says "at most 48 hours before departure of the last direct flight to Hong Kong" which would be the one leaving DXB in your case. Who knows what it'll say in a month?

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:28 pm

Are you considered transiting if you have two separate one way emirates tickets (one booked points, the other cash) with a 10hr layover in dubai? I'm wondering if I need to meet the dubai destination COVID test requirements or if the flight attendant will account for my second flight and see me as transiting through dubai.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:43 pm

Seems from the UK you now need a PCR test within 48 hours, it would be nice if the UAE put up notices a few days before making the change, it seems it's effective of today so I assume some pax from the UK today and tomorrow may be denied boarding, especially on the second rule that the test centre must be stated.

"Effective 2 January 2022, all passengers travelling from the UK to Dubai must hold a negative COVID‑19 PCR test certificate for a test taken no more than 48 hours before departure and the certificate must be for a Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT‑PCR) test. The RT‑PCR test result certificate must state the location of where the sample was taken. Note that NHS COVID‑19 test certificates are not accepted for travel from the United Kingdom."
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:09 am

Testing requirement for BOM-DXB-IAD?

I’ll be booking two separate tickets (one possibly cash, one with miles) BOM-DXB, DXB-IAD. The flight timings from BOM-DXB and DXB-IAD end up creating an almost 14hr layover at DXB. Per the latest travel requirements, DXB requires an RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours of departure to DXB for anyone originating from India, plus a rapid PCR test taken 6 hrs before the flight at the departure airport. There would also be an on-arrival PCR test at DXB. Can anyone here shed any light on whether this on-arrival RT-PCR could be considered as the RT-PCR test USA requires within 24 hours of departure from DXB? Or would I have to exit the airport, try to find an RT-PCR test that can give me results in a few hours, and hope they arrive within the 14 hours I have between flights? Or should I take an RT-PCR at BOM in addition to the Rapid PCR test I’d take 6hrs prior to departure, so that it is still within the 24 hour timeframe of the DXB-IAD flight?

Here are the flight timings, just for reference:
BOM-DXB, 01/28 10:25 IST, arrives DXB 12:10pm local time
DXB-IAD, 01/29 02:25 DXB local time, arrives IAD 08:10 EST 01/29

US entry requirements would dictate I take an RT-PCR 01/28 no earlier than 02:25 DXB local time. That essentially means I’d have to take an RT-PCR at BOM airport anytime after 4:00 AM IST on 01/28, in addition to the Rapid PCR 6 hrs prior to departure for it to be considered valid to board the DXB-IAD flight. Also, would that test be considered ok at check-in in DXB, or would the check-in staff at DXB expect me to bring a local RT-PCR test (from an authority in Dubai)?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:35 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by nash_d
Testing requirement for BOM-DXB-IAD?

I’ll be booking two separate tickets (one possibly cash, one with miles) BOM-DXB, DXB-IAD. The flight timings from BOM-DXB and DXB-IAD end up creating an almost 14hr layover at DXB. Per the latest travel requirements, DXB requires an RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours of departure to DXB for anyone originating from India, plus a rapid PCR test taken 6 hrs before the flight at the departure airport. There would also be an on-arrival PCR test at DXB. Can anyone here shed any light on whether this on-arrival RT-PCR could be considered as the RT-PCR test USA requires within 24 hours of departure from DXB? Or would I have to exit the airport, try to find an RT-PCR test that can give me results in a few hours, and hope they arrive within the 14 hours I have between flights? Or should I take an RT-PCR at BOM in addition to the Rapid PCR test I’d take 6hrs prior to departure, so that it is still within the 24 hour timeframe of the DXB-IAD flight?

Here are the flight timings, just for reference:
BOM-DXB, 01/28 10:25 IST, arrives DXB 12:10pm local time
DXB-IAD, 01/29 02:25 DXB local time, arrives IAD 08:10 EST 01/29

US entry requirements would dictate I take an RT-PCR 01/28 no earlier than 02:25 DXB local time. That essentially means I’d have to take an RT-PCR at BOM airport anytime after 4:00 AM IST on 01/28, in addition to the Rapid PCR 6 hrs prior to departure for it to be considered valid to board the DXB-IAD flight. Also, would that test be considered ok at check-in in DXB, or would the check-in staff at DXB expect me to bring a local RT-PCR test (from an authority in Dubai)?
I can't help with the Dubai entry questions or transit, but for the US entry you do not need RT-PCR, any lab verified test is fine 1 calendar day before departure (can be more than 24 hours as long as it is the day prior to departure). Either way if you are forced to take a test on the 28th 6 hours before your flight to DXB then you can use that same test for your IAD flight.
nash_d likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:47 am
Krz

Programs: Skywards
Hello,
I'm going to book ticket WAW->DXB->CMB, on EK, with one or two nights stay in hotel in DXB (to see Dubai Expo)
Normally I would need PCR test done 72hrs before embarkation (iata travel centre says before first embarkation ) and I will undergo this test before departure from WAW.

So the question is: would I need to take another PCR test in Dubai? I can limit the stay in Dubai to less then 22hrs, then it could be almost impossible to get PCR results so quick (I would have to take express PCR test just after landing...).

Is there any difference if I book it as just return ticket (and select longer transition time in Dubai) or as multi city option?
I assume in both option I would be able to pass my luggage directly from WAW to CMB?

Who is checking PCR results in Dubai before departure? Is there special control line for it? or at boarding gate?

Thanks for any help, we are now in quite complicated world for travelers.

UPDATE: according to Emirates call-center, if the stop is up to 24hrs then no additional PCR test is required. If it is above 24hrs then PCR test must be taken in Dubai.

Last edited by Krz; Jan 18, 2022 at 6:00 am
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:08 am
Krz

Hello,
I'm still confused:
If I have few hour stop at DXB, do I can leave airport (assuming I keep all requirements for people arriving in DXB) and then board a plane for second leg using the same test ? or I would need to make another test?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Krz
Hello,
I'm still confused:
If I have few hour stop at DXB, do I can leave airport (assuming I keep all requirements for people arriving in DXB) and then board a plane for second leg using the same test ? or I would need to make another test?
If you are checked in all the way through from your original departure point, and you hold a boarding card for the onwards DXB-xxx flight, then i dont see how anyone would even know if you left the airport during the layover. You wont check in again at DXB when you come back for the onwards flight. Simply go back through security and on to your gate for boarding.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:48 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thinking about stopping over in DXB for a day on my way to HYD.
Routing would be JFK-DXB (1 day/24hr stopover)-HYD
I wonder if I took my COVID test in New York within 72hrs of departure of the DXB-HYD flight (which would be the day before I depart New York) if I would be able to use that one for the DXB-HYD flight, instead of having to take another test in Dubai. Thoughts?
Or would EK not let me check in for the HYD flight at DXB without a test taken in Dubai?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:34 am
Krz

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
If you are checked in all the way through from your original departure point, and you hold a boarding card for the onwards DXB-xxx flight, then i dont see how anyone would even know if you left the airport during the layover. You wont check in again at DXB when you come back for the onwards flight. Simply go back through security and on to your gate for boarding.
Well, this was my initial idea, but I will have to go through pass control before departure in Dubai. So I could be asked for test results issued in UAE?
BTW people can also make online check-in. In such situation who check test required?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.