Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:22 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Planning on flying Chicago -> Dubai -> Male and back.

Assuming I need a RT PCR prior to my Chicago flight. Do I need one coming back from Male too or can I use a Binax at home test?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Test in country of departure?

Folks, has anyone heard of anyone being denied boarding en route to Dubai because the PCR test was done in a different country than that of origin?

I'm flying LHR-CDG (BA) on a Friday and CDG-BAH-DXB (GF) on the Saturday.

The 23 hours I have in Paris aren't enough time to guarantee a PCR test result if done there, so I would do it in London on the Thursday.

The EK website is hard to interpret: 'COVID‑19 RT‑PCR test certificates must be issued by an authorised facility in the passenger's departure country. Certificates that have already been presented for travel to another destination can't be used for re‑entry even if they are still within the validity period.'

The first point is impossible to achieve in Paris, the second point is moot as I won't have needed to present the PCR test done in London to enter France (not that they'd know anyway).

The real risk is the Gulf Air check in agent at CDG - can anyone put my mind at rest here? (sorry, I know it's GF not EK but figured i'd get a quicker answer here!).
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Ive used PCR tests from UK to board flight departing DUB-DXB, so i dont think this should be any problem'

The PCR test certs usually have a QR code on them which easily proves their validity
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Ive used PCR tests from UK to board flight departing DUB-DXB, so i dont think this should be any problem'

The PCR test certs usually have a QR code on them which easily proves their validity
Thanks modularmayhem, yeah I suspect this is one of those where 99 times out of 100 common sense is applied. Just hope the GF check in team don't take a contrarian view!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
hi all, travelling from Toronto to Maldives and wanted to know if any Covid travel test centre can be used for a PCR test or does it have to be a lab authorized by Emirates?
Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: EY
Will India / Emirates allow boarding to someone who was infected with Covid in the past 180 days and thus can't get a negative test? A doctor's note attesting to infection and recovery can be provided. EK website only mentions a test being needed.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 1:45 pm

UAE requires PCR tests, and you should typically start getting negative PCR tests as quickly as 10 days after initial infection (YMMV but almost certainly after a month or so) - it's only the antibody test which is affected by past infection.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
UAE requires PCR tests, and you should typically start getting negative PCR tests as quickly as 10 days after initial infection (YMMV but almost certainly after a month or so) - it's only the antibody test which is affected by past infection.
10 days might be the norm, but many people test positive way after that time, even 30 days later with a PCR test. Why? Because, the virus continued to mutate within them. That's why people get better and then bam back in the hospital with it again and fully infected again. Lots of documentation. But, 10 days or 2 weeks are the lucky ones.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:24 pm

Emirates says they only require a negative test itself only if the destination itself requires it. Transit in UAE alone wouldn't require one. There was a post somewhere here about someone who flew London to the Philippines without a negative test because the Philippines doesn't require it. Emirates doesn't require it to step on the plane in itself, unlike Etihad.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
10 days might be the norm, but many people test positive way after that time, even 30 days later with a PCR test. Why? Because, the virus continued to mutate within them. That's why people get better and then bam back in the hospital with it again and fully infected again. Lots of documentation. But, 10 days or 2 weeks are the lucky ones.
The vast majority of people around me who have had Covid received negative PCR tests after 14 days, which they required in order to be released from home quarantine or to come back to the office. I'd say the ones 30 days later are probably the unlucky ones. As far as I'm aware, re-infection soon after recovery is also extremely rare (presumably to be distinguished from a person that didn't fully recover and gets worse).
Originally Posted by xobile
Emirates says they only require a negative test itself only if the destination itself requires it. Transit in UAE alone wouldn't require one. There was a post somewhere here about someone who flew London to the Philippines without a negative test because the Philippines doesn't require it. Emirates doesn't require it to step on the plane in itself, unlike Etihad.
Yes, but the person who asked the question seems to be flying out of India, which means Emirates requires a negative PCR test even if only transit in DXB and going onto a destination which doesn't require PCR.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:36 am

The vast majority of people around me who have had Covid received negative PCR tests after 14 days, which they required in order to be released from home quarantine or to come back to the office. I'd say the ones 30 days later are probably the unlucky ones. As far as I'm aware, re-infection soon after recovery is also extremely rare (presumably to be distinguished from a person that didn't fully recover and gets worse). Yes, but the person who asked the question seems to be flying out of India, which means Emirates requires a negative PCR test even if only transit in DXB and going onto a destination which doesn't require PCR.
H, I (OP) was unclear I see now. My question is about someone flying TO India. Though the return aspect would be important to know as well.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by xobile
H, I (OP) was unclear I see now. My question is about someone flying TO India. Though the return aspect would be important to know as well.
Ah - sorry, I didn't realise you had asked the question. According to the Emirates website, you also need PCR tests to enter India too:
  • All passengers, including children and infants, must upload their COVID‑19 RT‑PCR results on the Air Suvidha online portal for a test taken within 72 hours prior to the start of their journey.
  • All passengers must carry a hard copy of a negative COVID 19 RT‑PCR certificate test at the time of departure. Digital copies will not be allowed. Certificate should be in English, specifying name of passenger and the outcome of the test.
  • Arrival in India without a negative COVID‑19 RT‑PCR test report will only be allowed in cases of exigency of death in family. Passengers can apply for such an exemption on the online portal at least 72 hours before boarding. The decision taken by the government as communicated on the online portal will be final.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:35 am

Just wanted to report that we returned home from Italy this weekend (MXP-JFK) and had no issue with Emirates accepting our proctored test results from Abbott's Binaxnow. We did have the hotel print out our results, but also has the results on our phone just in case. We just gave them the printed out ones, with everything else, so they never asked for anything on our phones.
HouFlyer61 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
The vast majority of people around me who have had Covid received negative PCR tests after 14 days, which they required in order to be released from home quarantine or to come back to the office. I'd say the ones 30 days later are probably the unlucky ones. As far as I'm aware, re-infection soon after recovery is also extremely rare (presumably to be distinguished from a person that didn't fully recover and gets worse). Yes, but the person who asked the question seems to be flying out of India, which means Emirates requires a negative PCR test even if only transit in DXB and going onto a destination which doesn't require PCR.
The people don't get reinfected, it's that the virus mutated inside them into a slightly different strain (not variant) that they were initially infected with. Happens quite often actually, especially in people who have weaken immune systems. But, a mild case would certainly eliminate the active virus more easily. But, everyone doesn't have mild cases.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by injian
hi all, travelling from Toronto to Maldives and wanted to know if any Covid travel test centre can be used for a PCR test or does it have to be a lab authorized by Emirates?
Any PCR is fine for EK at YYZ, I've used FH Health as well as a hospital test to board at YYZ.
Just make sure it clearly states PCR, and has your exact name and birthday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.