Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by Will08
If you are local to LHR they have a pretty decent drive through covid test site (express test) I have used them quite a few times and always received results the same day. As for your flight, they will check your docs at LHR for both DXB and MNL requirements and as it stands you will be allowed to board both flights without a PCR. When you arrive in DXB, transit is as normal with no checks made until boarding your next flight.
Thanks for your really comprehensive reply Will. I'll try and make PCR but as a backup I now have in writing from Emirates that it's not needed for my destination.
Will08 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Qatar Gold
Anybody know if I can re-use PCR tests for Emirates if still in the window? I.e. if I fly into DXB on a test taken at 20.00 on Weds and fly out 15.00 Saturday - can the same test be used (assuming the arriving country is <72hrs from dept. rule)
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by pifly
Anybody know if I can re-use PCR tests for Emirates if still in the window? I.e. if I fly into DXB on a test taken at 20.00 on Weds and fly out 15.00 Saturday - can the same test be used (assuming the arriving country is <72hrs from dept. rule)
Emirates specifically mentions that you can't reuse tests that have already been used to enter a country.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by xobile
Emirates specifically mentions that you can't reuse tests that have already been used to enter a country.

But ive no idea how they would actually know? The checkin agent gives the pcr test cert a cursory glance to look for the word negative. How would they know if the same cert had been used to enter the country a few hours earlier?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: EK Plat
Based on my discussions with EK, my understanding is that this language:

« Certificates that have already been presented for travel to another destination can't be used for re‑entry even if they are still within the validity period. »

is in relation to a turnaround, for example, DXB-AMM-DXB. So, a negative PCR certificate issued in DXB would not be accepted in AMM to return to DXB.

However, in the scenario LHR-DXB-AMM, a negative PCR certificate from LHR would be accepted in DXB for onward travel if you went landside during transit, provided it met the requirements for the final destination.

I have a four hour transit in DXB next week and my preference is to go home rather than sit in the lounge (sacrilege, I know).

Of course there is a risk that an agent in DXB ends up being difficult about a non-DXB issued PCR certificate but assuming my boarding passes are issued to my final destination at the point of origin, I do not see when this will be an issue.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
Based on my discussions with EK, my understanding is that this language:

« Certificates that have already been presented for travel to another destination can't be used for re‑entry even if they are still within the validity period. »

is in relation to a turnaround, for example, DXB-AMM-DXB. So, a negative PCR certificate issued in DXB would not be accepted in AMM to return to DXB.

However, in the scenario LHR-DXB-AMM, a negative PCR certificate from LHR would be accepted in DXB for onward travel if you went landside during transit, provided it met the requirements for the final destination.

I have a four hour transit in DXB next week and my preference is to go home rather than sit in the lounge (sacrilege, I know).

Of course there is a risk that an agent in DXB ends up being difficult about a non-DXB issued PCR certificate but assuming my boarding passes are issued to my final destination at the point of origin, I do not see when this will be an issue.

This makes total sense, and you would imagine its how the rules should be enforced... but as with everything at DXB it just takes one checkin agent to misinterpret something and youre in a tough situation
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:46 am

Programs: QF LTG
Does anyone know if the immigration agents in Dubai look at the covid test or if it’s entirely handled by the airline checking people in at their origin (as is the case in the US and UK)
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:01 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
This makes total sense, and you would imagine its how the rules should be enforced... but as with everything at DXB it just takes one checkin agent to misinterpret something and youre in a tough situation
I had a 13 or so hour layover recently and went into the city to do a few things. While I fully intended to get a new test done in Dubai, circumstances prevented it, and I used the PCR test from origin for my next flight. It wasn’t queried and I made the onward flight.

My next flight wasn’t especially important, and my second home is in Dubai so in the worst case I’d just go home if denied boarding. Ideally, though, I’d have had a new test. I probably wouldn’t do the same for a four hour layover.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: Skywards
My experience LHR-DXB-MNL

So I made it out to Manila, here's my experience from Heathrow through Dubai to Manila

Just flew Business class LHR - MNL - DXB Emirates

Heathrow, Emirates staff at check-in were great but confused with the rules, I did not have a PCR Test as it is not required at Manila as you have to quarantine and get a test after 7 days which you sign up for (details below)

Emirates staff almost got to the point of just saying well , I dont really understand if PCR is needed or not so we will just let you on assuming its ok

The checked that I had the Onehealth Pass which is unique to the Philippines, you have to sign up before you fly
They did also check that I had NHS double jab proof and its a good idea to print this (This is a little bizarre as no where is this written its needed)
They checked I had hotel accommodation as this is a philippine requirement
and lastly that I had Travel insurance (Again Philippines does not make this rule it seems to be an emirates requirement.

Dubai Transit was really quick and smooth literally no checks at all for transiting passengers, just pass all your bags back through security scans took a few mins and we were through.

Philippines (this may have a limited audience here) pretty organized to be honest, Philippines is in severe lockdown so the process is quite cumbersome and you have to again present your onehealth pass and then theres quite a bit of form filling with the health officials. Took around 25 mins from getting off the plane to being outside and picked up by Hotel
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Does anyone know if the immigration agents in Dubai look at the covid test or if it’s entirely handled by the airline checking people in at their origin (as is the case in the US and UK)

My experience, from 11 entries into DXB in the last year, the immigration officers do not check the pcr test cert. Im not sure if thats policy, but its been my experience
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
My experience, from 11 entries into DXB in the last year, the immigration officers do not check the pcr test cert. Im not sure if thats policy, but its been my experience
So in theory if someone was traveling XXX-DXB-USA with a long layover in Dubai they could check in with an emed antigen test as it’s acceptable for the final destination and then leave the airport in Dubai during the layover?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Immigration do not check the PCR test. It's checked at check-in at your origin and also checked upon arrival before you enter the immigration hall by general airport staff (at least as of three weeks ago).
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
So in theory if someone was traveling XXX-DXB-USA with a long layover in Dubai they could check in with an emed antigen test as it’s acceptable for the final destination and then leave the airport in Dubai during the layover?
if you already have your boarding DXB-USA pass, in theory, I suppose
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:21 pm

In theory yes... would i do it? not way... too many variables
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Won't work. Upon arrival in DXB, before you reach the elevators/escalators to the immigration hall, you have to show your negative PCR test.
B747-437B likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.