Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: QF LTG
The whole "Same test can't be used twice" policy is utter nonsense and isn';t enforced at all. Seems purely to be in place to try to support the covid testing economy in Dubai.

Originally Posted by justforfun
Won't work. Upon arrival in DXB, before you reach the elevators/escalators to the immigration hall, you have to show your negative PCR test.
I didn't do it but it absolutely would have worked, The staff there didn't pay any attention to our PCR tests, I am confident if you showed them a piece of paper with just your name and the word negative on it they would have waved you through.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:08 pm

When departing Heathrow are you required to ‘present’ a hard copy of your negative result i.e. a printed copy or will the email confirmation / email attachment be satisfactory? I’m getting a rapid PCR test done at a hotel on the morning of my flight. I won’t have access to a printer.

Palmer
Old Sep 22, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
If going India-DXB-US, this page seems to suggest all I need is a negative RT-PCR or Antigen test report based on a sample collected 72 hrs before arrival in the US.
Are there any other COVID specific requirements DXB or Emirates requires for pax transiting from India to the US?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 10:36 pm

Programs: EK Plat
Just flew and had no issues using PCR certificate from original destination for onward travel at DXB, confirming what EK told me.

I have not yet tried returning to DXB on a PCR certificate issued from DXB but that seems to be clearly against their policy.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 2:23 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by legionnaire
If going India-DXB-US, this page seems to suggest all I need is a negative RT-PCR or Antigen test report based on a sample collected 72 hrs before arrival in the US.
Are there any other COVID specific requirements DXB or Emirates requires for pax transiting from India to the US?
From the same Emirates site, hence the Antigen test wont suffice, you will need the PCR.

Transiting in Dubai

All transit passengers must complete all the requirements of their final destination.

Transit passengers from the following countries must present a negative COVID‑19 PCR test certificate for a test taken no more than 72 hours before departure:
  • Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Uganda, Vietnam, Zambia, Indonesia
All other transit passengers are not required to present this certificate unless it is mandated by their final destination.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:52 pm

I had a question about the entry requirements into Dubai.

On the Emirates website, they're very clear the only acceptable test is a RT-PCR test result.

I'm from Canada, and it seems like all the tests that I've been able to find locally are just "PCR" tests. From my googling, it seems that RT-PCR is a test that's a bit different from just a regular PCR?

Has anyone had any experiences traveling to Dubai from Canada?

Also just to confirm, the test results need to be within 72 of departure of the last flight into Dubai (if I have connections) correct?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 2:19 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
The whole "Same test can't be used twice" policy is utter nonsense and isn';t enforced at all. Seems purely to be in place to try to support the covid testing economy in Dubai.

I didn't do it but it absolutely would have worked, The staff there didn't pay any attention to our PCR tests, I am confident if you showed them a piece of paper with just your name and the word negative on it they would have waved you through.
Interesting as when arriving from a country that wasn't required to have a PCR on arrival at DXB there was someone asking if he could take on voluntarily and they let him.
If you are on a short visit and exiting before the 72 hrs are up this may be an interesting way to get a free PCR to go back out. Thinking of the Riyadh weekend commuters.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by pifly
Interesting as when arriving from a country that wasn't required to have a PCR on arrival at DXB there was someone asking if he could take on voluntarily and they let him.
If you are on a short visit and exiting before the 72 hrs are up this may be an interesting way to get a free PCR to go back out. Thinking of the Riyadh weekend commuters.
It may have changed now, but I didn't get a formal certificate when I had an arrival PCR test. I didn't even get a text! It just showed up in the DXB app.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:15 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It may have changed now, but I didn't get a formal certificate when I had an arrival PCR test. I didn't even get a text! It just showed up in the DXB app.
I got a text and you can download the PDF cert from https://icrs.purehealth.ae/cvdscr/ using your passport / EID
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
From the same Emirates site, hence the Antigen test wont suffice, you will need the PCR.
Transit passengers from the following countries must present a negative COVID‑19 PCR test certificate for a test taken no more than 72 hours before departure:
  • Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Uganda, Vietnam, Zambia, Indonesia
I see it now. I was going by the destination country (US) requirements (what types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?) which includes antigen or NAAT tests.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 10:04 am

On an India-DXB-US routing with a 9h 20m transit in DXB, arriving with a negative RT-PCR (based on a sample collected within 72 hours of departure) seems sufficient.
Verbiage on this page seems to suggest an additional attestation must be submitted.
Is this enforced?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I had a question about the entry requirements into Dubai.

On the Emirates website, they're very clear the only acceptable test is a RT-PCR test result.

I'm from Canada, and it seems like all the tests that I've been able to find locally are just "PCR" tests. From my googling, it seems that RT-PCR is a test that's a bit different from just a regular PCR?

Has anyone had any experiences traveling to Dubai from Canada?

Also just to confirm, the test results need to be within 72 of departure of the last flight into Dubai (if I have connections) correct?
PCR and RT-PCR are in general term usage, the same thing. There is a qPCR test, but it is not commonly used. Generally, whenever you see the PCR term used, it means RT-PCR. The rapid tests you see are either antigen tests (not accepted for entry into Canada from anywhere) or NAAT tests, which Canada does accept.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by xobile
PCR and RT-PCR are in general term usage, the same thing. There is a qPCR test, but it is not commonly used. Generally, whenever you see the PCR term used, it means RT-PCR. The rapid tests you see are either antigen tests (not accepted for entry into Canada from anywhere) or NAAT tests, which Canada does accept.
Now I'm just more confused... So is RT-PCR/PCR different from NAAT?

Cause according to the US CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...lab/naats.html

NAAT is just the name of the test, and RT-PCT is the method of testing?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Palmer
When departing Heathrow are you required to ‘present’ a hard copy of your negative result i.e. a printed copy or will the email confirmation / email attachment be satisfactory? I’m getting a rapid PCR test done at a hotel on the morning of my flight. I won’t have access to a printer.

Palmer
Apologies if you have already travelled and this comes too late. But I travelled LHR-DXB a few weeks ago, and the pdf version of the certificate on my phone was accepted without any issues.
Palmer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100K 1MM
I am planning to fly from India (HYD) to Canada (YYZ) via DXB. Canada will not accept PCR tests from India if transiting through a third country. New requirements clearly state I need to have a PCR test from the transit country. If I land at 00:25 and have a connecting flight to Toronto at 08:00 what are my testing options in DXB. Is it even possible to get a PCR in Dubai at that time? Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.