Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Krz
Currently (from few days) there is no list on page "Transiting in Dubai". It includes only:
"Transiting passengers are not required to present a COVID 19‑PCR test certificate unless it is mandated by their final destination.
Thanks. That's a very recent change and it's a vast improvement. I filled in a feedback form about the previous version, so maybe they took customer feedback into account!
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: EK Silver
Hi all,

Hoping you could help as I'm a bit confused with the COVID requirements for my particular journey.

When I was booking the ticket, the itinerary showed a stop in Malaysia. It is not a transit, we stop for 1h 35mins (disembark and then get back on the same plane).

My ticket does not show this part of the trip, however. It simply shows me leaving AKL, transiting in DXB and onward travel to LHR.

Anyone come across this? I'm confused because Malaysia requests a COVID test before arrival in Malaysia...but I'm not arriving? It's a stop? So I'm trying to figure out if I need a test or not...

Last edited by Mitglied; Feb 8, 2022 at 8:10 pm
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:00 pm

I may have answered my own question, but if anyone knows otherwise then please do chime in.

The gov.uk site is a lot clearer (to me at least!) on the testing requirements when you are either arriving or transiting Malaysia (I have a stop in KUL on my way to DXB from AKL, to be specific in my case). They split it into 'Entry Requirements' which requires a test and 'Transit' which does not (as long as you remain airside).

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...all-travellers

Originally Posted by Mitglied
Hi all,

Hoping you could help as I'm a bit confused with the COVID requirements for my particular journey.

When I was booking the ticket, the itinerary showed a stop in Malaysia. It is not a transit, we stop for 1h 35mins (disembark and then get back on the same plane).

My ticket does not show this part of the trip, however. It simply shows me leaving AKL, transiting in DXB and onward travel to LHR.

Anyone come across this? I'm confused because Malaysia requests a COVID test before arrival in Malaysia...but I'm not arriving? It's a stop? So I'm trying to figure out if I need a test or not...

Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:03 pm

Just an update for anyone else that may encounter this issue and try to search the forums for Malaysia, KUL, Kuala Lumpur, transit, stop:

I found the answer to my query below via Emirates who were very helpful. My itinerary is AKL - DXB - LHR, with a 1hr 35min stop in KUL between AKL - DXB. A COVID test is NOT required for this stop in KUL as passengers starting their journey in AKL and continuing to DXB do not disembark the aircraft. Passengers going to KUL leave the aircraft and passengers leaving KUL board the aircraft.

I may have answered my own question, but if anyone knows otherwise then please do chime in.

The gov.uk site is a lot clearer (to me at least!) on the testing requirements when you are either arriving or transiting Malaysia (I have a stop in KUL on my way to DXB from AKL, to be specific in my case). They split it into 'Entry Requirements' which requires a test and 'Transit' which does not (as long as you remain airside).

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...all-travellers
Hi all,

stewardo likes this.

Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:26 am

UK Passport holder here. I'm flying from the UK to Portugal on Friday 11th Feb and then from Portugal to Dubai on Thursday 17th Feb.

Fully vaccinated. Do I need a PCR test 48 hours before departure?

The language on the Emirates site says that I don't as I'm traveling from Portugal. However, I would have been in the UK within the past 14 days, so not sure what to do.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: CX Gold
Does EK require passengers to have a negative PCR test before allowed to board even if the destination country don't require the test if fully vaccinated?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:34 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by boybi
Does EK require passengers to have a negative PCR test before allowed to board even if the destination country don't require the test if fully vaccinated?
No, not as far as I am aware.
boybi likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
This question appears to have been asked before, but I'm still not clear on how it actually works. We are traveling JFK - DXB - MLE, with 23.5 hours in DXB and so have booked Dubai Connect. Maldives requires a test, as does Dubai. Based on the language on the website (pasted below), I can't tell if I need 2 tests or if 1 suffices:

"COVID‑19 RT PCR test certificates must be issued by an authorized facility in the passenger's departure country. Certificates that have already been presented for travel to another destination can't be used for re-entry even if they are still within the validity period. PCR test certificates issued in the UAE can be used for re‑entry if they are still within the validity period of 48 or 72 hours as required for travel from the departure country."

How does this work? When I check in at JFK, I will present the COVID test. What happens when I leave Dubai?
Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:31 am
Krz

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
This question appears to have been asked before, but I'm still not clear on how it actually works. We are traveling JFK - DXB - MLE, with 23.5 hours in DXB and so have booked Dubai Connect. Maldives requires a test, as does Dubai. Based on the language on the website (pasted below), I can't tell if I need 2 tests or if 1 suffices:

"COVID‑19 RT PCR test certificates must be issued by an authorized facility in the passenger's departure country. Certificates that have already been presented for travel to another destination can't be used for re-entry even if they are still within the validity period. PCR test certificates issued in the UAE can be used for re‑entry if they are still within the validity period of 48 or 72 hours as required for travel from the departure country."

How does this work? When I check in at JFK, I will present the COVID test. What happens when I leave Dubai?
I had similar question before and the answer (in this topic, above) was that as long as I have boarding cards for both flights it is not a problem. (no-one will check PCR tests in Dubai if I will have boarding card already printed). I will check in March if it works
This is not Dubai Connect, I have just ca. 20hrs connecting time and the plan is to see Dubai Expo (and one night in hotel) - but should be the same situation.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Got it Krz - when is your trip? Mine is mid-March too...
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: AY*PL, TK*ELPL, AF*PL, HH*Diam, MR*Plat
Testing on arrival in DXB - based on nationality or origin?

Hi everyone! I tried to find an answer to this question but the search wasn't helpful, so I hope one of you might now the answer: I'm the national of a country that's on the "obligatory testing after arrival" list, but I haven't been to that country in ages and am coming on EK from Austria. Will I still have to take a test upon arrival just based on my nationality? Or can I tell them / will they know that I'm travelling from Austria, i.e. my country of residence? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by cerberusbites
Hi everyone! I tried to find an answer to this question but the search wasn't helpful, so I hope one of you might now the answer: I'm the national of a country that's on the "obligatory testing after arrival" list, but I haven't been to that country in ages and am coming on EK from Austria. Will I still have to take a test upon arrival just based on my nationality? Or can I tell them / will they know that I'm travelling from Austria, i.e. my country of residence? Thanks in advance!
it should be by origin, not nationality. Just make sure you have your inbound boarding pass handy.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by aeropix
I'm a Dubai resident who needs green Al Hosn for Abu Dhabi as well so I can offer a few tips of advice. I've been using the free "Expo 2020" PCR on arrival test. It is located in a repurposed VIP arrivals lounge underneath the escalators on the right hand (west side) and before passport control. Because it's behind you it's hard to notice unless you're really looking for it, but there is an orange sign referring to the "Expo PCR Test" that helps guide you. As a resident, they only wanted my National ID and never asked any further questions, because the room is primarily there for UAE Nationals who don't have to take a pre-departure test, and that's why I guess they don't mind if any resident comes in there. But as a tourist / non-resident you may have to justify why you are there and as others have said you should probably have an EXPO day-pass ready. Also another caveat, the "Free EXPO Test" is officially only for NON-Vaccinated people, as per the written policy so bear that in mind as you try to avail the service. I arrive from the USA around 7-8pm and always have these results by midnight. Also the process is fast, so fast that the last two times I was at the carousel before my bags in spite of doing the arrival-test. As a resident, the result is texted to me, and shows up automatically in my Al-Hosn, so the advice from others that they will not text you may only apply to tourist or that policy may have changed.

We are going to give the free expo PCR on-arrival test a shot next week (as vaccinated tourists from a country that does not require an on-arrival test). Since we are only in Dubai for ~56hrs, this would be extremely convenient vs visiting the nearest testing facility or most convenient free expo testing location. I would like to think that if the expo is providing a free test, it shouldn't matter if it's at the airport on-arrival or one of the locations listed on their pcr site list (but fingers crossed). I have already printed our expo tickets in case they are needed.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by elsenor
We are going to give the free expo PCR on-arrival test a shot next week (as vaccinated tourists from a country that does not require an on-arrival test). Since we are only in Dubai for ~56hrs, this would be extremely convenient vs visiting the nearest testing facility or most convenient free expo testing location. I would like to think that if the expo is providing a free test, it shouldn't matter if it's at the airport on-arrival or one of the locations listed on their pcr site list (but fingers crossed). I have already printed our expo tickets in case they are needed.
If you're just looking to go to EXPO, there's no need for a COVID test. You just need proof of vaccination.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If you're just looking to go to EXPO, there's no need for a COVID test. You just need proof of vaccination.
Unfortunately need it for onward journey as Dubai is just a couple day stopover :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.