Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Depressing, but probably sound advice. So everyone leaving Israel - incl. tourists - needs to do a PCR test before boarding a flight?
No, they do not. Only if the destination country requires it.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Depressing, but probably sound advice. So everyone leaving Israel - incl. tourists - needs to do a PCR test before boarding a flight?
Israel will not require a PCR test if you have been in the country for less than 72 hours or have a Green Pass issued by the Ministry of Health. That said, many countries will require you to have such a test and you will not be allowed to board a flight to the destination country without it.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Israel will not require a PCR test if you have been in the country for less than 72 hours or have a Green Pass issued by the Ministry of Health. That said, many countries will require you to have such a test and you will not be allowed to board a flight to the destination country without it.
Since everyone that arrives in Israel (and is vaccinated) is supposed to receive a Green Pass, they should be exempt from the exit PCR test requirement (although I am not sure if Green Pass is actually issued to arriving visitors, just reading off of corona.health.gov.il - does anyone know?)
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:50 pm

Frankly, I urge everyone NOT to visit Israel right now. The situation is getting out of hand -- no, let me change that: the situation is already out of hand.

Even if you do not die, even if you do not have to go to the hospital, even if you feel fine, there is a very good chance that when you are tested for your flight home you will find that you have Corona and are stuck here, in isolation, for at least 10 days.
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
This comes one weekend too late for me. I already cancelled my planned Friday trip

At this point, I have no idea really what to do about rescheduling. I've made other plans for the next few weeks, and while they could be changeable, I also don't really have great confidence that the government won't suddenly change the rules again with no warning. And of course, if they go for an omicron lockdown, it may just be better to stay at home anyway. I'm going to think hard for a few days about maybe rescheduling to come in late January.
Sorry to hear about the rescheduling- im in the same boat, and have been for a few months.It's frustrating.
My sincere concern is that they might go into some type of modified lockdown to blunt the rise of cases.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:25 am

I genuinely do not understand the MoH rules. On their website, for Who is recognized as vaccinated or recovered by Israel?, for WHO vaccines, they say:

The vaccine must be administered in accordance with the protocol set by Israel, that is, those vaccinated must:
  • Receive two vaccine doses (or one vaccine dose in case of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine) and at least 14 days have passed since the date of the second vaccination on the day of arrival in Israel (but not more than 180 at the time of leaving Israel). The day of vaccinate does not count.
  • Be vaccinated with the booster shot and 14 days or more pass from vaccination day at the day of arrival in Israel.
But that's unclear, because first of all they don't clarify if it is bullet points 1 AND 2, or points 1 OR 2.
If it's points 1 AND 2, then are they saying that anyone who had their second shot over 180 days ago (i.e. before Sunday 11 July 2021) is banned from entering, irrespective of booster status?
If it's points 1 OR 2, then it is confusing why they would insist on putting a 180-day expiry on initial shots, but no expiry at all on the boosters. So, for example, am I, from the UK and with a booster in early December, good to book a holiday in Israel for late June, over 180 days after my booster?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
Since everyone that arrives in Israel (and is vaccinated) is supposed to receive a Green Pass, they should be exempt from the exit PCR test requirement (although I am not sure if Green Pass is actually issued to arriving visitors, just reading off of corona.health.gov.il - does anyone know?)
I've been to IL in November, all I needed to go back to NL (which at the time didn't require PCR test for vaccinated pax from IL) was my NL vaccination certificate which was very briefly inspected at check-in, the green pass I received upon arrival wasn't apparently the type they accept at the airport.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:36 am

The list of "red" countries has been zeroed out.

But I still see no official announcement permitting non-citizen arrivals other than "exceptional" cases.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
The list of "red" countries has been zeroed out.

But I still see no official announcement permitting non-citizen arrivals other than "exceptional" cases.
Non-citizens have been allowed to arrive all along, assuming they are not coming from a red country. With the red countries now listed as "orange" they are in the same situation as most other countries. Of course, vaccination and PCR tests are still required.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:01 am

Non-citizens have been allowed to arrive all along, assuming they are not coming from a red country. With the red countries now listed as "orange" they are in the same situation as most other countries. Of course, vaccination and PCR tests are still required.
Well, it's on Timatic now (effective January 9) so must be true
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by ButteryToast
I genuinely do not understand the MoH rules. On their website, for Who is recognized as vaccinated or recovered by Israel?, for WHO vaccines, they say:

But that's unclear, because first of all they don't clarify if it is bullet points 1 AND 2, or points 1 OR 2.
If it's points 1 AND 2, then are they saying that anyone who had their second shot over 180 days ago (i.e. before Sunday 11 July 2021) is banned from entering, irrespective of booster status?
If it's points 1 OR 2, then it is confusing why they would insist on putting a 180-day expiry on initial shots, but no expiry at all on the boosters. So, for example, am I, from the UK and with a booster in early December, good to book a holiday in Israel for late June, over 180 days after my booster?
its 1 or 2.
Its very unlikely a traveler would be able to rely on the current entry requirements for a flight in June given that these requirements have basically changed almost on a monthly basis for awhile.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: UA MM
I'm confused.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/slammi...s-to-tourists/
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The linked article is from November and is no longer valid.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: UA MM
The linked article is from November and is no longer valid.
You typed "non-citizens have been allowed to arrive all along" so that's what confused me. Aren't foreigners/non-residents still barred entry until this Sunday?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
You typed "non-citizens have been allowed to arrive all along" so that's what confused me. Aren't foreigners/non-residents still barred entry until this Sunday?
Only those from red countries -- which has been the case all along. What will be different on Sunday is that there will be no red countries.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by simba8
its 1 or 2.
Its very unlikely a traveler would be able to rely on the current entry requirements for a flight in June given that these requirements have basically changed almost on a monthly basis for awhile.
Yes, that's right; anything could happen at any time, and who knows what the world will be like in June.
I have been directed to another part of the MoH website, which includes a fairly crucial line in helping answer my initial query that simply doesn't appear on the travel page, like whoever was doing the site was copying and pasting between two pages and missed a crucial line. It says:
The effectiveness of their vaccination status: Six months from the date of last vaccination or through 28.2.2022, whichever is later.
So, presuming that it is indeed "1 OR 2," thus my question is clarified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.