Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, ELAL Platinum, VS Gold
- UK, Denmark and Belgium RED countries as of Wednesday. Flying out to there becomes illegal (NIS 5,000 fine), flying in from there requires 10 day quarantine, including govt. Corona hotel at own expense until negative results come back.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:09 am

Horowitz said additional countries will be classified as “red” in the coming days, but stressed that the government does not currently plan to bar international travel entirely.

He also urged Israelis to refrain from non-essential travel.

Whoever is planning to travel abroad at this time needs to know that, upon their return, they are likely to go into full quarantine because the country will be declared a red country,” Nachman Ash, the ministry’s director-general, said during a press briefing on Sunday.

So basically- everything will be red
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by simba8

Whoever is planning to travel abroad at this time needs to know that, upon their return, they are likely to go into full quarantine because the country will be declared a red country,” Nachman Ash, the ministry’s director-general, said during a press briefing on Sunday.

So basically- everything will be red
It can be understood two ways: 1. That the country Israelis visited will be declared red after their arrival there. 2. That Israel, itself, will be declared red -- in which case, logically, I would have to go into quarantine when I live my house to throw out the garbage.

I hope his Hebrew was clearer than the English translation.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
It can be understood two ways: 1. That the country Israelis visited will be declared red after their arrival there. 2. That Israel, itself, will be declared red -- in which case, logically, I would have to go into quarantine when I live my house to throw out the garbage.

I hope his Hebrew was clearer than the English translation.
Better yet convince The PMs wife to take another vacation and announce where and watch as 100s of 10000s of Isaaelis flock there as well as no way will it be declared a Red Country till after she returns
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:58 am

New RED countries (may not travel to, must quarantine 7 days if returning from), effective Sunday: Ireland, Finland, France, Norway, Spain, Sweden, UAE.
Israel's government voted on Wednesday to extend a travel ban prohibiting foreigners from entering the country until at least December 29.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:28 pm

- TRAVEL... Constitution, Law and Justice announced the expansion of criteria for “red” countries to which travel is forbidden, adding that Germany, the U.S., Belgium, Portugal, Turkey, Hungary, Morocco and Canada are LIKELY candidates to enter that list SOON.

- TRAVEL... The Airport Authority said that passengers returning from the United Arab Emirates, France and Spain, which have direct flights into Israel, will now land at Terminal 1 to avoid passenger’s mixing with travelers from orange countries, which are theoretically less infectious.

- OMICRON INBOUND... Health officials also said 10 Omicron cases have been found on two separate flights bound for Israel.
“We do not know if the infections happened during the flight itself or a day or two before,“ said Head of Public Health Services Headquarters.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:41 pm

just take the bucket and splash the whole map red and get it over with already....

we all know they never had any intention of doing anything with the whole "we just dont know.....we need the data"...just one extension after another after another.

The ban extending to Dec 29 will likely just die at this point as the countries are red anyways.

They will likely come up with new rules and new forms, and new testing and new this and that..
hugolover and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by simba8
just take the bucket and splash the whole map red and get it over with already....

we all know they never had any intention of doing anything with the whole "we just dont know.....we need the data"...just one extension after another after another.

The ban extending to Dec 29 will likely just die at this point as the countries are red anyways.

They will likely come up with new rules and new forms, and new testing and new this and that..
Yup, classic.
This is ridiculous. It is not preventing anything or aiding anybody.
TPJ and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by rafi2k6
Yup, classic.
This is ridiculous. It is not preventing anything or aiding anybody.
100%
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:04 pm

Haaretz.com is reporting that the US "red" announcement might arrive as early as Tuesday. Im guessing Canada will be attached to it as well.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:09 am

- RED COUNTRIES ADDED… on Friday added six new countries to Israel's "red" country list: Ireland, Norway, Spain, Finland, France, Sweden and the United Arab Emirates. Outbound travel prohibited (fine NIS 5,000), inbound Israelis or resident visa holders must quarantine for 7 days.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:04 am

The Health Ministry recommended that Italy, Belgium, Germany, Hungary, Morocco, Portugal, Canada, Switzerland, Turkey, and the United States be added to the growing list of red countries. If the recommendation is approved, it will go into effect at midnight between the 21st and 22nd of December.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:45 am

Full red country list - https://corona.health.gov.il/en/country-status/

🟧 All other countries in the world that are not red are now Orange. An orange country is a country with a severe travel warning, and the Ministry of Health recommends that the public avoid traveling to these countries.

Returning from an orange country 🟧
▪️ Vaccinated or recovered- will be able to leave isolation after receiving a negative test result performed from the 3rd day of isolation in Israel (the day of landing is the first day).
▪️Whoever is not vaccinated or recovered - will be able to leave the isolation only after receiving a negative test result performed on the day starting from the 7th day of isolation (the day of landing is the first day).

Returning from red countries 🟥
▪️Protected (according to the Ministry of Health's definitions - triple vaxxed or recovered and vaxxed or double vaxxed depending on how long ago) returning to Israel from red countries - after performing a PCR test at Ben Gurion Airport and signing the "I agree to isolate contract", will go into home isolation for 7 days at the end of which they will be required to perform another PCR test. From insulation.
▪️Unprotected (not vaxxed, recovered, not fully vaxxed) returnees to Israel from red countries - after performing a PCR test at Ben Gurion Airport, they will be sent to isolation in a hotel until the test result is obtained, after which:
▪️If the test result is negative, the above will sign the "I agree to isolate contract" and be transferred to home isolation to complete the isolation days for 7 days, at the end of which they will be required to perform another PCR test. After a negative answer in this test, the above will be released from isolation.
▪️If the test result is positive, the above will remain in the hotel until recovery.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Nowhere else to ask this, so I'm asking for speculation from the group. With the US about to be added to the Red list, question about dual US-Israeli passport holders returning to US. Of course, any such individual travels on their Israeli passport. So would the Israeli passport prevent leaving the country (and subject to NIS 5000 fine) or does this US passport plus proof of actual residence in the US allow the individual to travel? I would imagine that the situation is so common that it has already been encountered, but I can't find any particulars about policy.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by nsoltz
Nowhere else to ask this, so I'm asking for speculation from the group. With the US about to be added to the Red list, question about dual US-Israeli passport holders returning to US. Of course, any such individual travels on their Israeli passport. So would the Israeli passport prevent leaving the country (and subject to NIS 5000 fine) or does this US passport plus proof of actual residence in the US allow the individual to travel? I would imagine that the situation is so common that it has already been encountered, but I can't find any particulars about policy.
Depends on the residency status. A dual citizen who is a resident of Israel (as per the Interior Ministry) is not allowed to fly, irrespective of the US passport.
Will you get caught? Probably, but not definitely. But very strong risk.
Not a resident of Israel? Can't see how they can keep you when you aren't a resident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.