Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dovster
Recording a phone call in the U.S. without notifying the other party is a federal crime.
  1. The hotel is in Israel, not the US. So US federal law doesn't apply. And Israel has one party consent rules, so as long as the caller (passenger) is doing the recording (and therefore obviously aware/approves of it), then it is perfectly legal.
  2. As for the US, slightly OT (unless perhaps OP is in the US and federal law therefore somehow applies), the vast majority of US states are also one-party consent states.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Starting next week, to enter Israel you can choose to do a rapid antigen test instead of a PCR test. The antigen test must be done from a recognized body (i.e. not a home test) and must be done within 24 hours of your flight to Israel.
(All arriving passengers will still need to do a PCR test in TLV after arriving)
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Starting next week, to enter Israel you can choose to do a rapid antigen test instead of a PCR test. The antigen test must be done from a recognized body (i.e. not a home test) and must be done within 24 hours of your flight to Israel.
(All arriving passengers will still need to do a PCR test in TLV after arriving)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Due to complete ridiculousness, you can mostly not quarantine in a hotel until your PCR results. This obviously leaves tourists in a major bind. More info here (Hebrew - Channel 12 news).

A good option, if you're willing, is to get a taxi and go right from T3 to the fast lane Check2Fly 4 hour PCR test and get tested from within your taxi. You will likely have your results by the time you get to your hotel.

I called the hotel I wanted to book and they confirmed I can "quarantine" there until the test results arrived, they will even deliver breakfast to my room, so that's one less PCR test to do (sadly I think I'm flying too early to be able to do an antigen test instead of the PCR but the price difference is insignificant and the "experience" is the same so not going to chance it).
Based on the experience of several colleagues who were visiting AMS the test results only takes several hours so hopefully by lunch time I can enjoy a stroll on the beach.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ditto
Based on the experience of several colleagues who were visiting AMS the test results only takes several hours so hopefully by lunch time I can enjoy a stroll on the beach.
I would not want to rely on an antigen test. I had one several months ago, administered by MDA, and was reported positive. The next day I had a PCR test which showed up negative. I would not like to be in a foreign country, with a reservation for TLV, only to have to worry about my flight because of a false result in a test taken less than 24 hours before my flight and hope that I can get PCR test results in time.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the excellent informatio shared in this thread!

I have two questions:

1) I have read the government guidelines, and in terms of fully vaccinated travellers, there seems to be no difference between "yellow" countries and "orange" countries. Is that correct or am I missing something?

2) Does anyone have any first-hand experience what "isolation for 24h or until you receive a negative test result, whichever is earlier" actually means regarding "small" group travel? Any idea what happens if several travellers share a taxi, maybe even share the same room, and one traveller tests poaitive? This all seems semi-straightforward for a solo, indivudual traveller, but for a (small) group of travellers this sounds like a true nightmare...
Old Nov 18, 2021, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks for the excellent informatio shared in this thread!

I have two questions:

1) I have read the government guidelines, and in terms of fully vaccinated travellers, there seems to be no difference between "yellow" countries and "orange" countries. Is that correct or am I missing something?
I think the difference is mainly around travel advice for Israelis, with an advise not to travel to orange countries.

2) Does anyone have any first-hand experience what "isolation for 24h or until you receive a negative test result, whichever is earlier" actually means regarding "small" group travel? Any idea what happens if several travellers share a taxi, maybe even share the same room, and one traveller tests poaitive? This all seems semi-straightforward for a solo, indivudual traveller, but for a (small) group of travellers this sounds like a true nightmare...
Indeed if you are considered to be in close contact to someone who tested positive you will also have to quarantine, I'm unsure whether a taxi ride will count as close contact but staying in the same room probably does.
Jasper2009 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I think the difference is mainly around travel advice for Israelis, with an advise not to travel to orange countries.
Thanks for the response! That's the way I read it too. Though that means that travellers from literally every single country in the world can currently enter Israel, whether it has 800 cases per 100k, or zero.

Indeed if you are considered to be in close contact to someone who tested positive you will also have to quarantine, I'm unsure whether a taxi ride will count as close contact but staying in the same room probably does.
That would certainly make sense, though it sounds like a true nightmare for groups. So essentially force everyone to stay in their rooms for up to 24h, and if a roommate tests positive, the entire room needs to be left behind.

Despite reading all the information I'm still not sure what the consequences are for those who receive a positive test result. Are they simply required to extend their hotel stay by 14(?) days and feed themselves by ordering room service? Or are those people transferred to a government facility?
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:10 pm

Ability to use an antigen test vs.the PCR has been debated on Trip Advisor. The consensus of all but the person who shared this information ,is that a Ministry of Health announcement is a “proposal” Only when and if the Corona Cabinet approves does it become real
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:41 pm
Suspended

When is Israel likely to reclose her borders?

With Covid hitting #s it hasnt for a year in Europe and even starting to respike in The US, when will shut her borders again? Or now that they finally reopened them will they leave them open.

Its not only allowing tourists back in but just as bad or worse is Israelis traveling to the newly spiked up areas and the returning home

FWIW I feel The US should CX its open door policy and shut itself as well, until a fool proof way to make sure those entering or returning are in full compliance
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:12 am

Despite reading all the information I'm still not sure what the consequences are for those who receive a positive test result. Are they simply required to extend their hotel stay by 14(?) days and feed themselves by ordering room service? Or are those people transferred to a government facility?
  • A foreign traveler confirmed as coronavirus positive during his or her stay in Israel shall be transported to a confirmed patients' isolation motel at the Home Front Command's responsibility, medical treatment at the expense of the foreign traveler's private insurance and subject thereto.
https://www.gov.il/en/departments/news/28102021-06

Originally Posted by craz
With Covid hitting #s it hasnt for a year in Europe and even starting to respike in The US, when will shut her borders again? Or now that they finally reopened them will they leave them open.

Its not only allowing tourists back in but just as bad or worse is Israelis traveling to the newly spiked up areas and the returning home
Why should they? You still need to do 2 tests AND be vaccinated to enter without (full) quarantine as an Israeli or enter at all as a tourist, I'm guessing they might start adding some countries to the "Red list".
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
According to the Jerusalem Post, in view of the Omnicron variant Israel is now considering not allowing any foreigners into the country.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Hopefully this travel ban only lasts 2 weeks…
tedcruz likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Do you think first degree relatives will still be able to visit?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Seby12
Hopefully this travel ban only lasts 2 weeks…
I hope so too, but I think it'll end up being extended unfortunatly.

Originally Posted by tedcruz
Do you think first degree relatives will still be able to visit?
As of now, NO.
According to Dov Lipman, that exception is not expected to be brought back under this scheme. This closure is more like the initial lockdown / closures that occurred in March / April of 2020.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Any exceptions have to be granted "by a government panel" (per Times of Israel story).

Really to soon to make any scientific judgments about Omicron but mRNA vaccination development is pretty rapid now and Moderna is supposedly already at work on a booster.

This might be a prelude to new virus realities. And it is like going after a swarm of bees with a fly swatter.

Meawhile, I am concerned about a potential March trip and a little less concerned about trip this July. But this reminds us that things can change in an instant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.