Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver

Hi guys,

when is Israel likely to open its borders?

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:55 pm

According to a Ynet article (linked below, in Hebrew), it is rumored/estimated that quanantine-free entry will be postponed till August-September:
https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,73...748661,00.html

Last edited by hopeful_me; Jun 15, 2020 at 4:01 pm
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:13 am

TheMarker (Hebrew, paywall) concurs: not before mid-July, and likely later, due to a plethora of irrelevant reasons.
Bottom line is of course that nobody knows, and it seems to be at the discretion of the prime minister.

Shuly
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:44 am
Suspended

OP Id say as long as the #s keep increasing as they have recently where serveral citys are being considered as Hot Spots and shut down, I doubt any non-Israelis will be let in as a tourist
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:59 am

HaAretz today quotes Netanyahu as saying that the target date for renewing flights and restoring tourism is August 1st.

Shuly
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Let’s hope that the situation improves sharply
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I think they are only going to let certain countries that have shown to reduce/monitor the numbers entry for touristic reasons first. So countries like the USA will not be permitted, compared to a country like S.K. I think Greece, Cyprus and some other eastern block countries are going to be allowed entry first. Even a report today that the August 1st date is for reciprocal travel with Greek nationals.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by safari ari
I think they are only going to let certain countries that have shown to reduce/monitor the numbers entry for touristic reasons first. So countries like the USA will not be permitted, compared to a country like S.K. I think Greece, Cyprus and some other eastern block countries are going to be allowed entry first. Even a report today that the August 1st date is for reciprocal travel with Greek nationals.
Do French tourists have a chance ?
The situation is under control for now at least
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LY777
Do French tourists have a chance ?
The situation is under control for now at least
are you saying its been 14 days since any new cases have popped up? And is France open to all comers?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
are you saying its been 14 days since any new cases have popped up? And is France open to all comers?
There is still now about 200 new cases per day... But it is way better than it was in April...

And France has now opened its borders to other Countries of the Schengen area.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by safari ari
I have fully resigned myself to not being able to come to Israel this year as I had planned, as I unfortunately live in the third world (i.e., the US), and we don't stand a chicharrón vendor's chance in Mea Shearim of getting this disease under control anytime soon.

Between the utter failure of American governance and our likely slide into repression and armed conflict, I'm seriously considering aliyah... but that wouldn't be for a while yet - next year at the earliest. Unless things get really bad, in which case all bets are off...
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:51 pm
Suspended

There is still now about 200 new cases per day... But it is way better than it was in April...

And France has now opened its borders to other Countries of the Schengen area.

well there u go, u just answered your own question. If France wont let Israelis in why should Israel let the French in
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
well there u go, u just answered your own question. If France wont let Israelis in why should Israel let the French in
From July 1st, France will open its borders to selected countries outside of the Schengen area
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:40 am
Suspended

From July 1st, France will open its borders to selected countries outside of the Schengen area
Is Israel one of the Countrys whose citizens will be allowed in?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
I think that the borders should remain closed until AFTER Sukkot / Simchat Torah.

My concern is that a lot of devout Yidden (Jews) from all over the world normally decent upon Yerushalayim, Bnei Brak, and other cities to be with their Rebbe or Rabbi for Rosh Hashana / Yom Kippur / Sukkot.

I can speak from personal experience, social distancing and taking the pandemic seriously is not a thing in the religious sphere, specifically the Hareidi circles. I am not talking about Sruga circles here.

And knowing what we know about the situation in the Divided States of America, where a civil war is brewing & no concern for maintaining social distancing: it can only spell disaster for Israel.

Case in point: 10,000 Belzer Chassidim travel to Israel to be with their Rebbe for Rosh Hashana, the Shul is packed to the brim, everybody is touching each other, sharing food (Shrayim) and singing and coughing and sneezing all in close quarters- what the flip do you think will result from that?

I'm not anti-religious, I myself am a Frum Yid, but I am able to recognize the faults of my community. For the safety of Israel, the borders should remain closed to all non-citizens and all tourists from non-approved countries. In other words, any country still grappling with COVID-19 should be banned until there are either significantly fewer cases or no cases at all.

Am I taking a hardline stance? Maybe.
But I belive that my stance is the correct one to take.
ijkh and M60_to_LGA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.