Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Yes it has to have passport number not a DIY at home, easy to fraud test. With your passport number the authorities can be satisfied it ids actually you who undertook the private and authorised test.
Thanks for replying. I sure hope that's not how the Israeli athorities are counting on the test results really being from "you". Since I asked the question, I've been rooting around on the internet and most everyone says that if you need a passport number on a test result, you simply tell the test lab your passport number. What they actually use to verify it's you is your driver's license and, generally, they include your date of birth. Seems no one is ever asked to show their passport.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Thanks for replying. I sure hope that's not how the Israeli athorities are counting on the test results really being from "you". Since I asked the question, I've been rooting around on the internet and most everyone says that if you need a passport number on a test result, you simply tell the test lab your passport number. What they actually use to verify it's you is your driver's license and, generally, they include your date of birth. Seems no one is ever asked to show their passport.
But the airline allowing you to board need to be satisfied that you fulfil the immigration regulations, otherwise if you are denied entry ( which happens before you get your PCR test at NATBAG) the airline is liable for your return flight. That is why it has to have your passport number on it, and of course your passport will have DOB and other identifying data.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by awayIgo
Some policies cover and others don’t, you need to check with your carrier AND get it in writing, I know it took awhile but a friend, after a few phone calls AND requests to speak with a supervisor was successful, ( my policy does t cover anything out of the US, so I didn’t even try) I purchased through Allianz,
Can you purchase medical insurance only and not travel insurance? If so, can anyone provide companies they have worked with. I dont need trip cancellation or interruption, just whatever is required to meet this regulation. What exactly did Allianz put in writing for you that wasnt part of the policy documentation? We are traveling to Israel early May, but trying to understand what I might need.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Can you purchase medical insurance only and not travel insurance? If so, can anyone provide companies they have worked with. I dont need trip cancellation or interruption, just whatever is required to meet this regulation. What exactly did Allianz put in writing for you that wasnt part of the policy documentation? We are traveling to Israel early May, but trying to understand what I might need.
I'm traveling to Israel next month and bought a policy offered by Trawick International which I went through Good Neighbor Insurance to get. They both came highly recommended. If you call Good Neighbor Insurance, you'll can talk to a rep who can walk you through to determine what you really need and/or want. I'm only a customer.

https://www.gninsurance.com
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by jakezim
The current version of the Israel entry form for non-citizens has a checkbox asking one to acknowledge that holding a health insurance policy with coverage for the treatment of COVID is mandatory for entry.

Does anyone know if regular old American health insurance meets this test? Or is it necessary to purchase a separate travel insurance policy? Do border officers check proof of insurance?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide and sorry if this was discussed upthread and I missed it.
Most U.S. health insurance policies that you would get through your job or health exchange emphatically do NOT cover you outside the US, except possibly for limited emergency services in certain countries like Canada.

I would assume you'd have to purchase a separate travel policy. One place to start would be the airline you're flying with - they usually have links to travel insurance you can purchase through their website. Last year, when I was planning to go to Israel over the winter (before the trip got canned due to the omicron closure), I saw that Delta was offering policies for purchase through Allianz. I didn't look closely into the details because the borders got shut again so I had to cancel the trip, but you could always give them or another of the big global insurers a call and see what they offer.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
If you just need health coverage, GeoBlue is about the best. My Israel policy for this July's trip is with TravelSafe but I am using Trawick International for a Tanzania trip in September.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:22 pm

Thanks. For all the suggestions. Ive got some research to do..
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I now have a trip booked for the summer - here's hoping nothing happens to screw that up again.
davidcamp6 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide

sorry, just saw this!

Allianz sells without most of the trip cancellation etc. They have what they call an “Embassy letter” which clearly states Corona! My 65 day policy ( one person) was a grand $67. It had $50,000 in medical expenses! I think it automatically includes a medical flight home, if need be - I didn’t check since I gave a different policy for that.

Last edited by awayIgo; Mar 29, 2022 at 4:05 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info... we are going to visit family, but of course they dont have the same rules to enter israel as we do.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by davidcamp6
But the airline allowing you to board need to be satisfied that you fulfil the immigration regulations, otherwise if you are denied entry ( which happens before you get your PCR test at NATBAG) the airline is liable for your return flight. That is why it has to have your passport number on it, and of course your passport will have DOB and other identifying data.
I just learned two people I know went to Israel this year with "regular" PCR test results... without passport numbers. Neither the airline (UA in this case) or Israel immigration cared at all.

The more I thought about it, having a passport number listed on the test result provides zero extra protection against fraud. The result already has the person's name, date of birth, and address, all of which has to be verified by a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license when the test is performed.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:34 pm

Jim, you can ignore that part of the regulation, you may be allowed entry or you may come when the government has pushed for ALL rules to be strictly followed. It is NOT a big deal.

Write you passport number in the second address line if need be. That is what they did when I had my test. --MD office did lots of pre-Israel PCRs and did it automatically.

So, you address will read:

Jim in Ohio
123 Any Street
Passport # 1234556789
City, Ohio, Zip

USA
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
All I can say is that EL AL and BA did check, the border official didn't. But as an Englishman I always seek to follow rules
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Jim, you can ignore that part of the regulation, you may be allowed entry or you may come when the government has pushed for ALL rules to be strictly followed. It is NOT a big deal.

Write you passport number in the second address line if need be. That is what they did when I had my test. --MD office did lots of pre-Israel PCRs and did it automatically.

So, you address will read:

Jim in Ohio
123 Any Street
Passport # 1234556789
City, Ohio, Zip

USA
Are you saying I can just write my passport number on the result? That would work exceedingly well!
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
When will they scrap the arrival tests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.