Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by LY777
When will they scrap the arrival tests?
I dont think they are going to stop right now as its important form variant detection that is only possible through deep sequencing and constant testing.
That being said, with the expected summer travel, they might have to readjust things- i cant see how the bottlenecks at the airport gets resolved without additional staffing and quicker processes.

Last edited by simba8; Apr 11, 2022 at 1:25 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:39 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Using Proof of Recovery for departure test exemption

COVID finally found me before my international travel in May and June.

Have US-based travelers been able to use proof of a positive test to become exempt from pre-departure testing for entering Israel? I'm triple vaxxed, US citizen/resident, and will be flying in and out of YVR (driving up from Seattle). As of now, Canada is the easiest country to plan travel around.

From the guidelines for entry for non-Israeli citizens, a positive test alone should suffice:

Before the flight or entry at an Israeli border crossing

The following are exempt from presenting a negative PCR resulttest:
  • Those who will present a positive result on a rapid (antigen) test at an authorized testing site, or a PCR test, taken less than three months prior, provided entering Israel is at least on day 8 after the test (the test date is considered day 1).
I only have positive self/unsupervised molecular test results (not PCR, and not antigen either), from a test system that did satisfy Canadian requirements. If it makes future travel easier, I can easily get a PCR test from a local hospital that I have used for travel before (it will not include passport number however).

But from "Who is Considered Recovered Page", I do not see a way to meet any requirements for exemption (I'm not an Israeli citizen, and the US does not document proof of recovery)

Last edited by zmb; Apr 11, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by zmb

Have US-based travelers been able to use proof of a positive test to become exempt from pre-departure testing for entering Israel? I'm triple vaxxed, US citizen/resident, and will be flying in and out of YVR (driving up from Seattle). As of now, Canada is the easiest country to plan travel around.

From the guidelines for entry for non-Israeli citizens, a positive test alone should suffice:

I only have positive self/unsupervised molecular test results (not PCR, and not antigen either), from a test system that did satisfy Canadian requirements. If it makes future travel easier, I can easily get a PCR test from a local hospital that I have used for travel before (it will not include passport number however).

But from "Who is Considered Recovered Page", I do not see a way to meet any requirements for exemption (I'm not an Israeli citizen, and the US does not document proof of recovery)
You need one of these:https://corona.health.gov.il/en/abro...zed-by-israel/
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Are you saying I can just write my passport number on the result? That would work exceedingly well!

No, whomever is doing your test will write or type the information that ultimately appears on the test results. Usually it’s your name, address, birthday! I’m saying use the second address line to sneak in the words “ passport # and the number itself”. That is what the MD I went to did! - My neighborhood goes back and forth to Israel and he probably did hundreds, if not more pre flight tests
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by zmb

I strongly suggest you go to Trip Advisor and the Israel forum. There is one person in particular who is in contact with the Israel Ministry of Health and she has explained it to others. ( sometimes on TA it is suggested people come here, and sometimes it’s better there);
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:43 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
AFAIK, COVID recovery/vaccination certificates are only for Green Pass issuance? I already have SMART Health Cards for my vaccinations, but I have not been able to scan them with the Traffic Light App.

I'm guessing airlines (in my case, Air France) wouldn't be verifying documents with the Traffic Light app at check-in, and just want to see the test results? From Timatic, the pre-departure test exemption does not mention recovery certificate, unlike the isolation exemption. I'm also curious if a positive test result requires passport number to be considered valid, like the negative test within 72 hours requirement.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I just learned two people I know went to Israel this year with "regular" PCR test results... without passport numbers. Neither the airline (UA in this case) or Israel immigration cared at all.

The more I thought about it, having a passport number listed on the test result provides zero extra protection against fraud. The result already has the person's name, date of birth, and address, all of which has to be verified by a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license when the test is performed.
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I strongly suggest you go to Trip Advisor and the Israel forum. There is one person in particular who is in contact with the Israel Ministry of Health and she has explained it to others. ( sometimes on TA it is suggested people come here, and sometimes it’s better there);
Can you be more specific as to the person on the TA forum. I was on the site, and couldnt find a sub forum dealing with entry requirements.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:32 am

US and Europe flight have changed an approach: why are the checks and isolations for those entering israel still here?‎

Article is in hebrew- I couldnt find the english version- but relevant section is this:

(translation from google): The obligation to check upon entry into Israel burdens not only the vacation costs, but also due to the isolation required until an answer is received, which robs vacation days of tourists who come to visit on time. Standard test results should be provided within 13 hours, while a quick test (priced at NIS 85 by prior arrangement) provides a result within four hours - but this option, which was supposed to take effect before Passover, will finally only take effect in May.

Are the Ministry of Health planning to give up performing the tests on the arrivals? Ben Gurion Airport CEO Shmuel Zakai, who also serves as the corona projector at Ben Gurion Airport, estimates that this obligation will not be abolished.

Discussions about the need for inspections also raise the issue of the reliability of Israeli passengers, so that if the obligation to inspect entry into the country is passed on to passengers (before departure, as it was in the past and today only applies to tourists), past experience shows that many will find a way around this obligation. In general, it is the mindset that it is better to leave the control of the tests in the hands of the state, and not in the hands of the passenger.

Moreover, some of the reasons for the congestion at Ben Gurion Airport are due to the withdrawal of 45 counters, which were expropriated in favor of the corona testing complex located in the terminal area.

2 quick comments:
1.The testing was supposed to move outside to a tent, but as the article points out this hasnt happened yet- but given the Passover congestion is likely a preview of high season (June- Oct) my guess is that something will have to change.
2. PCR arrival testing I get, but i wish they would either remove the pre-departure test or include rapid antigen ilike they did back in back in November, as all these tests costs add up.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by simba8
US and Europe flight have changed an approach: why are the checks and isolations for those entering israel still here?‎

Article is in hebrew- I couldnt find the english version- but relevant section is this:

(translation from google): The obligation to check upon entry into Israel burdens not only the vacation costs, but also due to the isolation required until an answer is received, which robs vacation days of tourists who come to visit on time. Standard test results should be provided within 13 hours, while a quick test (priced at NIS 85 by prior arrangement) provides a result within four hours - but this option, which was supposed to take effect before Passover, will finally only take effect in May.

Are the Ministry of Health planning to give up performing the tests on the arrivals? Ben Gurion Airport CEO Shmuel Zakai, who also serves as the corona projector at Ben Gurion Airport, estimates that this obligation will not be abolished.

Discussions about the need for inspections also raise the issue of the reliability of Israeli passengers, so that if the obligation to inspect entry into the country is passed on to passengers (before departure, as it was in the past and today only applies to tourists), past experience shows that many will find a way around this obligation. In general, it is the mindset that it is better to leave the control of the tests in the hands of the state, and not in the hands of the passenger.

Moreover, some of the reasons for the congestion at Ben Gurion Airport are due to the withdrawal of 45 counters, which were expropriated in favor of the corona testing complex located in the terminal area.

2 quick comments:
1.The testing was supposed to move outside to a tent, but as the article points out this hasnt happened yet- but given the Passover congestion is likely a preview of high season (June- Oct) my guess is that something will have to change.
2. PCR arrival testing I get, but i wish they would either remove the pre-departure test or include rapid antigen ilike they did back in back in November, as all these tests costs add up.
But the key to a pre departure test is that it reduces the chance to infect other travellers and it is a good indicator that you wont end up positive upon arrival. If they dropped the pre departure test I would still do one in order to decide if I wanted to abort the trip because of a positive, I don't want to end up in a corona hotel.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: UA MM
A hopefully helpful note to Americans traveling to Israel:

When you get to the document upload step on the Israel Ministry of Health portal for entry approval, I used my digital vaccination record from Walmart (which can be accessed online with them). It's a Smart Health compliant document which includes a QR code. Israel's portal accepted and approved the document instantly. No need for an image of a CDC card which, I think, must be manually validated and taking longer.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:39 am

Haaretz
"Israel Mulls Reducing COVID Testing at Tel Aviv Airport"

In light of declining COVID rates, some health experts are urging Israel to cut its testing requirement for arriving passengers at Ben-Gurion Airport, one of only few where all travelers are still ordered to take a test"
  • "Health officials plan to assess the situation by the end of the week"
  • "According to ministry officials, in the near future, the ministry will examine various means to partially reduce testing requirements, whether by testing a sample of people entering the country or officially reducing the list of destination countries that require COVID testing upon arrival in Israel."
TOI
"Former COVID czar calls for end to airport tests for arrivals"
  • "Gamzu spoke as Channel 12 reported that the Health Ministry was indeed weighing scrapping the tests for travelers."
  • "“There are far more cases within the country, so why don’t we test everyone all at once?” said the Ichilov Medical Center director. “We are essentially testing healthy people and forcing them to pay for this test out of their own pockets."
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
If I could just add something, I ended up getting covid while I was in Israel. I made the mistake of not immediately going to get a test, so I could get on record that I had had Covid. With that, I would’ve gotten a certificate of recovery and never had to test again for the next 6-12 months. I was scared as a tourist that the police would lock me down, but apparently they have eased that a lot and don’t even patrol for that anymore. Morale of the story: If you feel Covid coming on, go and get a certificate of recovery as it will save you a lot of problems in the end.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by simba8
Haaretz
"Israel Mulls Reducing COVID Testing at Tel Aviv Airport"

In light of declining COVID rates, some health experts are urging Israel to cut its testing requirement for arriving passengers at Ben-Gurion Airport, one of only few where all travelers are still ordered to take a test"
  • "Health officials plan to assess the situation by the end of the week"
  • "According to ministry officials, in the near future, the ministry will examine various means to partially reduce testing requirements, whether by testing a sample of people entering the country or officially reducing the list of destination countries that require COVID testing upon arrival in Israel."
TOI
"Former COVID czar calls for end to airport tests for arrivals"
  • "Gamzu spoke as Channel 12 reported that the Health Ministry was indeed weighing scrapping the tests for travelers."
  • "“There are far more cases within the country, so why don’t we test everyone all at once?” said the Ichilov Medical Center director. “We are essentially testing healthy people and forcing them to pay for this test out of their own pockets."
any news about this?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:32 pm

any news about this?
Decision has been delayed a few weeks, as "Israel detects first cases of new COVID variant BA.5 in incoming passengers - Israel News - Haaretz.com "
Kind've looks bad to cancel the testing that is doing what its suppose to do...
Old May 3, 2022, 6:59 am

any news about this?
From Globes (in HE)
"נטל בלתי סביר": הבדיקות לנוחתים בנתב"ג בדרך לבג"ץ? - גלובס (globes.co.il)
Rough summary/translation: "unreasonable burden": the tests for arrivals at ben gurion airport on the way to the high court of justice?"
A group of businessmen and individuals submitted a letter various parties before submitting a petition on the subject to the high court
  • "it is impossible to hold a state on a ' alert' only so that perhaps one day some variant will be discovered here if any will be discovered,
  • Israel is among the few countries in the world that requires the law to carry out coronavirus tests at the entrance to its borders
  • The ministry of health understands that a change in this mandatory framework will be required even in view of public pressure, and several options are being considered, including eliminating the coronavirus test that tourists are obligated to perform before departure, waiving the quarantine obligation until the answer is received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.