FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:59 am
davidcamp6

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by simba8
US and Europe flight have changed an approach: why are the checks and isolations for those entering israel still here?‎

Article is in hebrew- I couldnt find the english version- but relevant section is this:

(translation from google): The obligation to check upon entry into Israel burdens not only the vacation costs, but also due to the isolation required until an answer is received, which robs vacation days of tourists who come to visit on time. Standard test results should be provided within 13 hours, while a quick test (priced at NIS 85 by prior arrangement) provides a result within four hours - but this option, which was supposed to take effect before Passover, will finally only take effect in May.

Are the Ministry of Health planning to give up performing the tests on the arrivals? Ben Gurion Airport CEO Shmuel Zakai, who also serves as the corona projector at Ben Gurion Airport, estimates that this obligation will not be abolished.

Discussions about the need for inspections also raise the issue of the reliability of Israeli passengers, so that if the obligation to inspect entry into the country is passed on to passengers (before departure, as it was in the past and today only applies to tourists), past experience shows that many will find a way around this obligation. In general, it is the mindset that it is better to leave the control of the tests in the hands of the state, and not in the hands of the passenger.

Moreover, some of the reasons for the congestion at Ben Gurion Airport are due to the withdrawal of 45 counters, which were expropriated in favor of the corona testing complex located in the terminal area.

2 quick comments:
1.The testing was supposed to move outside to a tent, but as the article points out this hasnt happened yet- but given the Passover congestion is likely a preview of high season (June- Oct) my guess is that something will have to change.
2. PCR arrival testing I get, but i wish they would either remove the pre-departure test or include rapid antigen ilike they did back in back in November, as all these tests costs add up.
But the key to a pre departure test is that it reduces the chance to infect other travellers and it is a good indicator that you wont end up positive upon arrival. If they dropped the pre departure test I would still do one in order to decide if I wanted to abort the trip because of a positive, I don't want to end up in a corona hotel.