Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gordo6
See latest posts for updates and discussion.
Print Wikipost

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Did LY have that route once?
Yes. Until 1996. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Al_destinations
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by 2035
Yes. Until 1996. See
Has it been that long? I remember the route well, and the reason I said it's LY's loss is because there have been numerous attempts over the years by the Jewish community in Manchester and Leeds to try and get LY to start the route again but to no avail.

Even discussed here in this old tread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al...rvice-man.html
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by clubman
Has it been that long? I remember the route well, and the reason I said it's LY's loss is because there have been numerous attempts over the years by the Jewish community in Manchester and Leeds to try and get LY to start the route again but to no avail.

Even discussed here in this old tread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al...rvice-man.html
All my friends in Manchester prefer U2, but maybe that's because no one has money anymore!
Old May 10, 2012, 4:31 am

Rumor has it that United asked TLV for a specific slot for ORD-TLV flights and they were rejected.
Old May 10, 2012, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Formerly LY Insider
Rumor has it that United asked TLV for a specific slot for ORD-TLV flights and they were rejected.
Any source? I had heard UA considering SFO-TLV and IAH-TLV, but not ORD-TLV.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by Formerly LY Insider
How does that work exactly? Govt. has to approve every route? Is there no open skies treaty with the US like the one rumored with Europe?
Old May 11, 2012, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYTA
How does that work exactly? Govt. has to approve every route? Is there no open skies treaty with the US like the one rumored with Europe?
Correct, no Open Skies treaty with the US. One in the works with the EU (I believe it's been approved, but hasn't yet been implemented).
Old May 13, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
UA should push hard for IAD.
I bet they were denied slots for ORD because LY wants to get back in that market (which I don't see happening anytime soon)
And acording to ADMTL they expect to have a non stop YUL-TLV service within the next few years.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rafi2k6
UA should push hard for IAD.
I bet they were denied slots for ORD because LY wants to get back in that market (which I don't see happening anytime soon)
And acording to ADMTL they expect to have a non stop YUL-TLV service within the next few years.
UA expects to have YUL-TLV?

I don't think they should push for IAD. I just don't see the traffic. ORD or SFO, OTOH, make a lot of sense
Old May 13, 2012, 3:24 pm

UA expects to have YUL-TLV?

I don't think they should push for IAD. I just don't see the traffic. ORD or SFO, OTOH, make a lot of sense
LOL , sorry I should have clarified that Aéroports De Montréal (ADMTL) expects either AC or LY (presumably) to re-enter the market in the 2-4 year time frame.

As for SFO and ORD, ya I agree. The problem is that being such a long route (read expensive to operate) they'd have to make it work a minimum of 5x p/week to make decent money on it I'd bet.

BTW, any other details on why IAA denied the slot request for ORD?
Old May 13, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL , sorry I should have clarified that Aéroports De Montréal (ADMTL) expects either AC or LY (presumably) to re-enter the market in the 2-4 year time frame.

As for SFO and ORD, ya I agree. The problem is that being such a long route (read expensive to operate) they'd have to make it work a minimum of 5x p/week to make decent money on it I'd bet.

BTW, any other details on why IAA denied the slot request for ORD?
SFO-TLV is a perfect 787 route, though at the rate hi-techs are picking up in Israel, and hi-tech business travel is picking up, that could even be a 777 route.
Old May 13, 2012, 4:38 pm

SFO-TLV is a perfect 787 route, though at the rate hi-techs are picking up in Israel, and hi-tech business travel is picking up, that could even be a 777 route.
That's defiantly true. The only drawback to a 777 flight would be the (probable) 2-5-2 layout. Oh well. Not my problem I'm based in YUL

And what about MIA? MIA could easily support at least a daily B772 during peak months and 5x p/week B763 on off peak.
Old May 14, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
That's defiantly true. The only drawback to a 777 flight would be the (probable) 2-5-2 layout. Oh well. Not my problem I'm based in YUL

And what about MIA? MIA could easily support at least a daily B772 during peak months and 5x p/week B763 on off peak.
Pleeease no!
B763 to MIA would be a disaster!!!
Old May 14, 2012, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA doesn't really use 2-5-2 anymore. The sCO 772s are all 3-3-3, and of the sUA 772s, most are already in IPTE config, which means 3-3-3.

Regarding MIA, you mean as an LY route? LY used to operate that route, and it was one of the most profitable routes - till they disbanded it.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: A3*G
is there a source for that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.