Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by braslvr

Then I don't understand why everyone compares them to In-N-Out. From that description, they are a completely different type of burger.
Maybe because they're both so tasty! (And In-N-Out patties aren't really that thin - as in McDonald's thin.)
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Umm. Just had lunch at the Five Guys at DCA. Excellent.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Very good hamburgers and fries, I try to avoid it though due to the mental image of what would happen to my arteries if I indulged as much as I would like to at Five guys.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:53 pm

I have also discovered that Five Guys burgers and fries are a pretty decent hangover therapy.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Umm. Just had lunch at the Five Guys at DCA. Excellent.
There's one in the airport? No fair...

Granted my layover in DCA was outside its operating hours (AS 6 was 2+ hours late getting in past 11 @ night and leaving on 5 @ 9 AM...)

But I digress...
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by braslvr

Then I don't understand why everyone compares them to In-N-Out. From that description, they are a completely different type of burger.
My guess is because they are the same "style". Hand made burgers, hand pulled shakes, fresh buns, and fresh cut fries. But 5G also has a few things that InO doesn't, such as hot dogs, cajun fries, and bacon (not to mention the peanuts). I am sure I am forgetting a few other menu differences, but I try not to go too often.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

There's one in the airport? No fair...

Granted my layover in DCA was outside its operating hours (AS 6 was 2+ hours late getting in past 11 @ night and leaving on 5 @ 9 AM...)

But I digress...
Yep. It is right across from the US Air shuttle gates. I usually take the train to DC. Second choice is Delta shuttle. I wasnt getting the ticket myself this time and they have a contract with US apparently. For a variety of reasons the train didnt work this time and when I arrived Wednesday night I noticed the Five Guys there. Made plans to have lunch there when I returned Friday afternoon. Might make me fly US a bit more on shuttle flights. I suppose I could do DL to DC so I can use the Marine Air Terminal at LGA and then US back so I can eat at Five Guys
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:04 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
The first time I tried Five Guys last fall, I wasn't impressed at all.
I did have Five Guys yesterday for lunch and really enjoyed it, but what annoys me is the ala carte pricing. If I had wanted a burger, fries, and a soda, it'd have been nearly $10. That, to me, is a little too expensive.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by xanthuos
The first time I tried Five Guys last fall, I wasn't impressed at all.
I did have Five Guys yesterday for lunch and really enjoyed it, but what annoys me is the ala carte pricing. If I had wanted a burger, fries, and a soda, it'd have been nearly $10. That, to me, is a little too expensive.
Yes and no. The key is to go with someone. As I said above, the regular sized fries are more than enough for two. And the regular burgers are two patties of meat (a small is one), so it's definitely possible to get a substantial amount of food for well less than $10.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Yes and no. The key is to go with someone. As I said above, the regular sized fries are more than enough for two. And the regular burgers are two patties of meat (a small is one), so it's definitely possible to get a substantial amount of food for well less than $10.
Yea, I threw half of my fries away.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Fries are the best part.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by mktozd
Fries are the best part.
I like the burgers a lot. But yes, the fries are very good but way too much for one person.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I like the burgers a lot. But yes, the fries are very good but way too much for one person.
Well... their large is pushing it (just don't drink too much water with lemon )
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:10 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
USAToday article on Five Guys.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by Darren
No, more or less (they are hand formed, not thick not thin), and no. There are about 20 toppings. You tell them what you want when ordering. T-I is not one of them, at least not in NJ.
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
ALL TOPPINGS FREE:

* Mayo
* Relish*
* Onions*
* Lettuce
* Pickles
* Tomatoes
* Grilled Onions
* Grilled Mushrooms
* Ketchup
* Mustard
* Jalapeno Peppers*
* Green Peppers
* A-1 Sauce*
* Bar-B-Q Sauce*
* Hot Sauce*

* Upon request only

...but if you ordered the ketchup, mayo and relish you can approximate a T-I topping if that is what you are jonesing for and you are at a FGs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.