Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by phillygold
I will be dining at one tonight! I have a Californian in town that lost a bet on the Yankees vs Angels series. She is about to lose another bet on 5 Guys vs In-N-Out!!!
Don't expect her to be honest about this one.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:52 am

Five Guys is way overrated.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
They're opening one of these not far from my house... I love In n Out, so we'll see if it competes!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by anonplz
OMG, this place is so freaking good - puts In-n-Out and all the rest to SHAME. My stomach growls just thinking about their cheeseburgers. They are that good. I go to the one on 55th Street in NYC. The fries are good, too, but only while hot, because they are sometimes a little undercooked, but everything is extremely fresh. As burgers go generally, this is not a cheap one, but just about the best value around - I have a menu here actually - Cheeseburger is currently $6.99, regular size fries is $3.29, all toppings are free, and include mayo, relish, mustard onions, tomatoes, green peppers, barbeque sauce, and a couple others, but you have to ask, they won't do it automatically. Is one cheeseburger enough - well, I have a big appetite but even I can't always finish. ^
5 guys is eh. burger joint is better.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'll be going to my first Five Guys this weekend in Salisbury, MD. Are fries or onion rings better as a side?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'll be going to my first Five Guys this weekend in Salisbury, MD. Are fries or onion rings better as a side?
If you like spicy... I recommend the Cajun Fries
Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by CMK10
Are fries or onion rings better as a side?
Fries, order them well-done. Then, ask the cook who is actually cooking the fries to make them REALLY well-done. I did this at the Ft. Lauderdale location this afternoon for lunch, and the fries came out absolutely perfect, with crispy skins UMMMMM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
The burgers are good, but I prefer mine medium. I usually don't order fries because the smallest order is nearly $3. and too much for one person. No kid size food, either, IIRC.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
5 guys make IAD a tolerable connection. IMO opinion they are better than In-n-Out which is pretty damn good anyway.

The Harveys of the US

Last edited by the_happiness_store; Oct 27, 2009 at 8:55 pm Reason: Added Canadian reference
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
That same Ft. Lauderdale location I mentioned earlier just expanded their diet soda options to include Diet Coke, Caffeine-Free Diet Coke and Coke Zero. Nice job, although maybe Diet Sprite might have been a better add than one of the colas?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by thelark
5 guys is eh. burger joint is better.
Probably - I'm sure there are plenty of better burgers, like Peter Lugar's or many of the steakhouses. 5 Guys is for everyone, and Burger Joint is for rich people who want to play like they are slumming.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Probably - I'm sure there are plenty of better burgers, like Peter Lugar's or many of the steakhouses. 5 Guys is for everyone, and Burger Joint is for rich people who want to play like they are slumming.
Or plain folks who pretend to be rich folks who play like they are slumming. (Or tourists looking for a good burger.)
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Or plain folks who pretend to be rich folks who play like they are slumming.
OR, you forgot, those who like to play them on TV. @:-) @:-)
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I dont think the main reason why the comparison to Burger Joint is bogus is because of price. The main problem is that it is inconvenient to go to Burger Joint if you are more than about 10 blocks from that one place. 5 Guys has rather more options.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I dont think the main reason why the comparison to Burger Joint is bogus is because of price. The main problem is that it is inconvenient to go to Burger Joint if you are more than about 10 blocks from that one place. 5 Guys has rather more options.
I know that, actually - with tax, Burger Joint is actually cheaper than 5 Guys.

My point was, even if, say, Smith & Wollensky gave out burgers for free, many people wouldn't go there because the help would sneer, the patrons would laugh, and it's just not a pleasant experience.

Burger Joint is in Le Parker Meridien, so same thing - that's what I was saying. The guys from the mail room might well go to 5 Guys and feel perfectly at home; the Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien? Nope.

But by all means, folks, go and try Burger Joint! I may do that myself at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.