Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
They're springing up all over the place around me in NJ. The burgers are very good, and much better than Mickey D's. I'm so-so about the fries. But I am concerned about the fat content - that juiciness has to come from somewhere

We have a local ice cream parlor that has a small restaurant in the back, and everything is cooked to order AND the oil is at the proper temp to keep the fries from absorbing too much of it. The burger is not juicy (fatty) but it's still very good and freshly prepared.

If you can believe it, I tried In and Out in Vegas and walked away totally unimpressed. Five Guys is far better.

Still I enjoyed it so much that I'm now going to ration it because of it's juiciness
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:51 am

So how does it compare to Shake shack? The best burger I ever had was at Shake shack in Madison Square Park a sunny November afternoon.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
So how does it compare to Shake shack? The best burger I ever had was at Shake shack in Madison Square Park a sunny November afternoon.
I actually commented on this to some FT friends I was visiting in NYC, since I did Shake Shack for dinner and Five Guys for lunch the next day.

Honestly, I was mildly underwhelmed by Shake Shack. Its attraction seems to be that it's a good, down-home burger joint--something you'd see in a small town in the Midwest, maybe--right in the middle of the urban canyon of Manhattan. But honestly, it's not any more special than a typical down-home burger joint you'd run into in a small town in the Midwest--good, but not mind-blowingly awesome.

I actually thought the burger at Five Guys was better than that at Shake Shack, but the ambiance couldn't compare, of course.

Shake Shack has the Danny Meyer name and the park-bench atomosphere going for it, but it's otherwise unimpressive (and IMHO not worth the wait, except for maybe the first time for the novelty).
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by FLLDL
Five guys seems to be opening up new stores left and right. Wonder if they will be the Boston Chicken / Krispy Kreme of the 2010s?
The same was said about Starbucks and look at where they're at.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
The same was said about Starbucks and look at where they're at.
Wasn't said by me (bought SBUX around $5 in late 90s and sold in 2004 before they hit $30)

Starbucks has a lucrative niche and for years they went basically unchallenged in the marketplace in most regions.

5 guys is entering an already crowded market and seem to have minimal advantage over the other players. Competitors down market can offer a better value proposition, while competitors upmarket have additional revenue channels to exploit.

Competition is a good thing, but will be interesting to see how it plays out for them, particular once the novelty/buzz of new locations wears off.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:55 am

I exaggerated somewhat, I should have said that I had my best VALUE burger ever at Shake Shack. To take the top spot I would rather recommend the deluxe burger at Minetta Tavern (NYC). Its the Rolls-Royce of burgers. At $26 however its not something youd swing by to grab for lunch.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by jackal
......(snippagio)....Honestly, I was mildly underwhelmed by Shake Shack. Its attraction seems to be that it's a good, down-home burger joint--something you'd see in a small town in the Midwest, maybe--right in the middle of the urban canyon of Manhattan. But honestly, it's not any more special than a typical down-home burger joint you'd run into in a small town in the Midwest--good, but not mind-blowingly awesome.
Other than replacing your "Midwest" with South/Southwest where the "fixins" on burgers are set by cultural tradition, a good analysis. There was nothing wrong with "Shake Shack", simply that within 10 minutes drive from my home are 2 places with superior burgers (and another couple "just as good").

I see nothing "wrong" with 5 Guys (except meat lacking in flavor at all 3 of the locations I've visited), but would hardly vote to raise the chain to basilica status amont the sacred temples of burgerdom. In defense, however, of 5 Guys and In & Out, I appreciate the attempt to recreate and preserve the classic and traditional hamburger, a culinary marvel which needs little tinkering.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mary2e
They're springing up all over the place around me in NJ. The burgers are very good, and much better than Mickey D's. I'm so-so about the fries. But I am concerned about the fat content - that juiciness has to come from somewhere

We have a local ice cream parlor that has a small restaurant in the back, and everything is cooked to order AND the oil is at the proper temp to keep the fries from absorbing too much of it. The burger is not juicy (fatty) but it's still very good and freshly prepared.

If you can believe it, I tried In and Out in Vegas and walked away totally unimpressed. Five Guys is far better.
Not only do I believe you, but I agree with you.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:22 pm
RVP

Like others who've posted, I'm not sure what I'm missing?

I've eaten at 5-Guys 4 or 5 times, and after each meal I wondered 'so what's the big deal'?

The last time, they didn't even have brown mustard, which is what I prefer on my burger.

I no longer waste my $ on this place. IMO, overated
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:55 pm

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Burger is ok but I really love their dogs.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my last 2 visits (DC and PA)the french fries were limp and the cheeseburgers were greasy. I think their overall quality control has dropped. On a positive note the peanuts were as yummy as ever.

MisterNice
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I exaggerated somewhat, I should have said that I had my best VALUE burger ever at Shake Shack. To take the top spot I would rather recommend the deluxe burger at Minetta Tavern (NYC). Its the Rolls-Royce of burgers. At $26 however its not something youd swing by to grab for lunch.
Speaking of high end burgers. I just had the $41 20 oz Kobe beef burger at Old Homestead in NYC for lunch yesterday. Quite tasty, would recommend for anyone who won't let the price give them a negative opinion before tasting.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
I love Five Guys...gives me something to munch on when I'm dreaming of Kobe or In-N-Out....mmmmmm......In-N-Out

my MR can't get here soon enough
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
I love Five Guys...gives me something to munch on when I'm dreaming of Kobe or In-N-Out....mmmmmm......In-N-Out
+1 ... Five Guys is a good product, but to be honest, I think they won that "best burger" poll because In-n-Out is still a regional chain. They're expanding, just slowly. Hey, it took Chick-fil-A decades to reach PIT, hopefully In-n-Out will get here someday as well.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Give me fuddruckers, you can have your welldone five guys

since I am in a town with both now, I can freely pick.

Fuddruckers let's me have a wheat bun that doesn't get soggy in 5 min or less as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.