Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Cholula
Personally I think Five Guys kicks In-N-Out from here to eternity.

But all this thread and the many threads on burger chains proves is that we can't all agree on the best chain.

And that's a good thing in my book.

Otherwise we'd have to beat our way in the door with a baseball bat.

This way we all get what we like best and none of us is inconvenienced.
Well, since the nearest In and Out is about 2000 miles from here and the nearest Five Guys was 3 blocks, it is an academic question. Not that there is anything wrong with that, since Im a professor and all that, but that doesnt provide the burger. And it was very good, and the fries were excellent.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Well, since the nearest In and Out is about 2000 miles from here and the nearest Five Guys was 3 blocks, it is an academic question. Not that there is anything wrong with that, since Im a professor and all that, but that doesnt provide the burger. And it was very good, and the fries were excellent.
We always crave what we can't get, burgers or not.

But I just got a Buy One, Get One Free Carl's Jr. $6 Burger coupon in the mail today.

Gonna take advantage of that one for sure.

Not a huge fan of Carl's Jr. but I'm certainly a fan of a BOGO coupon.

And I'm seeing a lot more of these deep discounts as times get tougher.

What's that saying??

"When the times get tough, the burger chain coupons start flowing".

Or something like that.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2M, Delta Flying Col., US Air Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Pres.Cir.
Originally Posted by astanley
I like the signage. Cheap, effective, works. The franchise is about as no-frills as they come; I'm sick of the over-marketed "experience" and "differentiation" that so many franchises are rife with.

Cheers,

-Andrew
There's overkill and then there's subliminal. And then there's terrible. I'd cast them into #3.

You're right...it is cheap. But I'll respectfully disagree...it doesn't work. You want your customers to have a good experience overall. Going to 5GB&F makes you feel like you've walked into a government cheese store.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I just found out there's a Five Guys a few blocks away from my place. I like it better than In N Out. The bun is definitely tastier (sweeter?). I also find the meat at In N Out to be a bit on the salty side. Five Guys has all the toppings I like too. Not to mention the massive amount of fries they give you. As a matter of fact, I'm reheating last night's extra fries in my toaster over right now.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:27 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by Condition One
...Not to mention the massive amount of fries they give you. As a matter of fact, I'm reheating last night's extra fries in my toaster over right now.
Wow, your 5 Guys gives fries away?

Mine makes me pay for them , they're expensive, and they don't offer a reasonably sized (and proportionatly cheaper) portion.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I feel like the meat could use a bit more seasoning. Sometimes the taste of the burgers is on the bland side.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Catman
HarleyCat and everyone... at this time there are THREE Five Guys eateries in Manhattan..

From the Five Guys website (because as a Journalism major attribution is very important )

496 LaGuardia Street, New York, NY 10010
(This is the one in Greenwich Village)

43 W 55TH Street, New York, NY 10019

296 Bleecker Street, New York, NY 10014
(This is the one by Christopher Street on the corner across from Bleecker Street pizza which according to Food Network is the best pizza in NYC.)

Oh one more thing about Five GUys: their "gear" (clothes/t-shirts) are OK but In and Out comes up with some very nice back shirt designs and a new shirt yearly. I also got as a birthday gift an In and Out Aloha Shirt (which I believe they don't make anymore.)

GOing OT: some have wanted a Five Guys get together. Well post it on COMMUNITY (and if you can come to HOboken I can jiggle my work schedule and stop in.)
Thanks! I rarely get into the city anymore and did not know there were three locations.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by gre
Wow, your 5 Guys gives fries away?

Mine makes me pay for them , they're expensive, and they don't offer a reasonably sized (and proportionatly cheaper) portion.
Fine with me they aren't very good anyway, I like thin fries when I eat them, which is almost never
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by mrviognier
The company has benefitted from enormous growth over the past few years...and it's precisely one of the reasons it may fail in the long run. An unattractive In-And-Out wannabe with terrible signage. Here's my bet: these folks will run the same route as Krispy Kreme: big buzz, big growth, oversaturation & customer burnout.
From my limited experience, ^.

The large number of "Best (name the food item) in X City" local-magazine articles plastered all over the walls, as another poster mentioned, are a warning sign, IMO. Five Guys reminds me of Maid-Rite and Fuddruckers--once the novelty of a slightly different (and admittedly good) way of serving ground beef has worn off, I don't have much reason to go back.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:13 pm

Decent burger but I prefer Ted's in Meriden Ct. ^
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
This thread reminds me how much I miss Five Guys. My favorite store was on Hwy 1, near the 495.

My favorite? The mini Bacon Cheesburger. With fries, of course.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I got off at the wrong subway stop in NYC two weeks ago... we went up and looked around a bit and... voila! A Five Guys in NYC I was soo happy as I had been deprived of those cajun fries for almost a year... mmm... got a large!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by harpodamann
Decent burger but I prefer Ted's in Meriden Ct. ^
Is that the place that steams the burgers? Surprisingly good, and way
better than any Five Guys I've ever been at (most of which are fine).
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:56 am

Count me in as another 5 Guys fan. I first tried them about a year and a half ago when a co-worker introduced me to the place. The burgers are tasty, but what I really like are all the toppings you can get on them. The fries are also quite good, even if there's way too many of them. I usually try to split an order of fries with a friend when I'm there.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: Choice Privileges Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National EA, Avis First, HHonors Silver, Delta Skymiles
Here in Florence, Five Guys shares a mall outparcel with Moe's and Shane's-that's some serious gastronomical pleasure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.