Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:56 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I must admit that I'm a little concerned at Five Guys' expansion. But I had an excellent rendition from their franchise outside of Albany NY the other day, although I do wish they'd season the meat just a little bit more.

My relatively average peanut allergy typically does not extend to peanut oil in moderation, but I don't get the fries at 5G because the portions are just a bit much, and then the oil is not in moderation any more.
While not an absolute, the majority of people with peanut allergies are not allergic to peanut oil. They are usually allergic to the airborne particles, or allergens, from peanuts, which are not present in peanut oil.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP since inception
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
My relatively average peanut allergy typically does not extend to peanut oil in moderation
So are you not affected at all by the large boxes of peanuts along the order line?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:24 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

I tried the hot dog at Five Guys and it was good, but no WOW factor.

The fries at times can be greasy and sometimes they overspice the Cajun fries.

Again, for me it's In and OUt.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by yogi4582
I like the idea of the peanuts while I wait, but I prefer salted and all the ones at my Five Guys are unsalted.

I keep hearing about people with severe peanut allergies - guess those people can never visit a Five Guys?
Funny story about these peanuts...

So I filled up on the large portion of the fries & a burger (my friend helped me with the fries ) and then I saw the peanuts... thought they would be a good thing to have around in the hotel when we were hungry later - so I took the water cup I was utilizing and filled it up with peanuts 'to go'- put it in my pocket in an inner pocket. Get on the Subway (in NYC) and I bend towards my friend, and the peanuts start dropping out

@:-)Moral is, if traveling with peanuts on the subway be sure to use a napkin or something as a lid...

(Yes I cleaned up the peanuts- half survived...)
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
We go to 5 Guys a couple of times a month as a family. As stated, they don't have a WOW factor, but the food is fresh, completed as ordered, and served with a smile. Not many places give you vinegar for your fries, and we appreciate that they do. The kids never complain about going there, and I do like the peanuts. Overall, it is a good experience, and I do not consider them fast food. They just don't seem like a Burger King or Wendy's. They seem more like a neighborhood lunch shop, or something.

BTW, on the peanut allergy issue, the local stores around here have a sign on the door warning people about the presence of peanuts.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Cool

Not trying to send this thread to OMNI/PR but I just read this in a New York Times online article:

Mrs. Obama plans to continue honing her message, her aides say. But she is also eager to get out of the White House and into the city.

Last week, she took her staff to lunch at Five Guys Burgers and Fries, where she had a cheeseburger, French fries and a Coke.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Cholula
Not trying to send this thread to OMNI/PR but I just read this in a New York Times online article:
I wonder if she got the "little"?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Cholula
She dined at the Dupont Circle location. I used to own this location, and the store manager called to tell me about it. He tried to get a picture, but she declined. She said she would be back, and he could have a picture next time.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I had lunch at the Ft. Lauderdale location today - the cook who does the fries remembered me - when he handed me my bag, he said "I cooked the fries until just before they would be burnt". ^^^^^
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: US, SPG, SW
I like there veggie sandwiches, But I would love if they decided to make turkey burgers and veggie burgers.....
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Million miler
Originally Posted by Travelmecrazy
I like there veggie sandwiches, But I would love if they decided to make turkey burgers and veggie burgers.....
I just found the Five Guys at DCA National Airport. Same mushy bun without body as elsewhere. I've asked them to toast it up on the grill, in hopes of giving it some character. They only left it on long enough to barely warm it, not to toast it. I agree that their fries, when cooked until almost over-done, are the best!
Oh, and no peanuts at DCA.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:41 am

Thumbs up

Oh my, I have been (blessed?) to have a few Five Guys around where I live. They are good, and the frys if cooked right are great, love the vinegar. The one I love the most is right next door to a Starbucks. My ice mocha goes well with these. Good idea about grilling the bun, have to ask next time.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:29 am

Been a weekly thing with my mates lately. Kinda love it.
Old May 29, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
President Obama likes it too :-)

http://media.smh.com.au/national/bre...op-547834.html
Old May 29, 2009, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I saw this and thought it was great. I like the way the President interacted with the folks who were already there. I noted that he wasn't signing autographs, with the exception of his server.Great Photo-op^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.