Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
I'd imagine if enough people complained they'd actually do something about it, no?
I'm not sure the buns are particularly bad, but some days the bun is horrifically squished.

To be honest, I'm not sure the overall increase in cost and vendor complexity (trying to maintain a consistent experience) would have net benefit to most consumers. There is a play that they could start sourcing from local bakeries only, but that cuts against their franchise strategy.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who has had FG 2x since returning from Europe
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:58 pm
formerly bbrantley

I like Five Guys, but it doesn't hold a candle to In-N-Out or any number of other burgers I've tried. Even the Fuddruckers in IAD is pretty comparable if not tastier (except for the fries, of course). It's still good enough that I'll make an extra effort to get to it versus something generic. 8.5 out of 10?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
the only thing I liked at the local Fudd's is the Ostrich Burger.

--Russ
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:41 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

If anything... the hot dog at Five Guys is pretty good (although I get looks from the customers when I order it.)

The Hoboken staff is pretty friendly and has fun dancing to the music. Hopeflly if any other FT-ers want to go let me know.

The staff in Hoboken has gotten to know me only because several clients have taken me here (and I don't argue with choice of place if a client wants to take me out.) I can't have them fly to California for In and Out (although most clients know of and miss and LOVE that place.)

And almost everytime I order a hot dog. It's like when I go to the dreaded White Castle... I order fish.

I am proud to be different!
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
I tried it once and didn't like it. It's overpriced fast-food, and the fries are soggy.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:27 am

White Castle - yuk
Fuddruckers - yuk

I like 5 Guys though. Not the best I've ever had by any means but it does the trick sometimes. I get the little hamburger and some fries. Yum.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Really good for an airport though.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by Catman
The Hoboken staff is pretty friendly and has fun dancing to the music. Hopeflly if any other FT-ers want to go let me know.
lets make it happen!
Old Nov 15, 2008, 8:45 pm

Tried because of posts here: good, not great.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2M, Delta Flying Col., US Air Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Pres.Cir.
The company has benefitted from enormous growth over the past few years...and it's precisely one of the reasons it may fail in the long run. An unattractive In-And-Out wannabe with terrible signage. Here's my bet: these folks will run the same route as Krispy Kreme: big buzz, big growth, oversaturation & customer burnout.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:45 pm

Anyone thinks that they are as good as Inn and Out?
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:14 am

The *NEW* Five Guys in lovely Madison, New Jersey (my home town) is scheduled to open today! Morbid obesity here I come!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Ive had them a couple times. I would say they are pretty good. Not as good as In and Out but definitely a decent burger. Im actually planning on going to the one in Dupont Circle tonight for dinner. Im sure it will be better than any burger I could get at this hotel and a third the price.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by mrviognier
The company has benefitted from enormous growth over the past few years...and it's precisely one of the reasons it may fail in the long run. An unattractive In-And-Out wannabe with terrible signage. Here's my bet: these folks will run the same route as Krispy Kreme: big buzz, big growth, oversaturation & customer burnout.
I like the signage. Cheap, effective, works. The franchise is about as no-frills as they come; I'm sick of the over-marketed "experience" and "differentiation" that so many franchises are rife with.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Personally I think Five Guys kicks In-N-Out from here to eternity.

But all this thread and the many threads on burger chains proves is that we can't all agree on the best chain.

And that's a good thing in my book.

Otherwise we'd have to beat our way in the door with a baseball bat.

This way we all get what we like best and none of us is inconvenienced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.