Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
We have no negative comments about those that we have been to have in a number of places. IIRC they do not season their beef before cooking. Service has always been quick and friendly at those locations where we have gone, and one just opened in GNV.

Have not been to In 'n Out although it is on my Bucket List.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
By coincidence I had dinner at the Ft. Lauderdale location earlier tonight. Unfortunately the cook who knows how to properly cook well-done fries was not there, and his substitute didn't cook the fries any longer than a regular, non-well-done order

The soggy bun syndrome seems to occur if you order your burger without tomato and lettuce - with the patties directly against the bun surfaces, the bread inevitably soaks up the juices very quickly.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I had one burger at Five Guys, and it was one of the best burgers I've ever had. I don't remember if I ate any fries. I loved the peanuts, though.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL PM
Have been to Five Guys in four different states; In-N-Out only in L.A. and San Diego. The winner? Five Guys. I love their burgers (don't eat the fries).

The last In-N-Out burger I had lived up to its name - I spent a good deal of time in the hotel bathroom the next morning. I know, I know - TMI.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
I went once. I felt like it was an unremarkable burger. Average at best. Won't go back again anytime soon.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Just opened one by me, not bad.

I haven't read the entire thread so excuse me if mentioned, but if you want a great burger in NYC try Jackson's Hole.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by mlad1101
Just opened one by me, not bad.

I haven't read the entire thread so excuse me if mentioned, but if you want a great burger in NYC try Jackson's Hole.
I think there was a thread on best burgers in NY or best non-chain burgers. I wouldn't put them in either. There are some seriously good non chain burgers in NY such as Burger Joint, Corner Bistro, Fanellis, Shake Shack (or is it Burger Shack?), Blue Smoke and DB Bistro.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I enjoy Five Guys. I don't mind paying a little more just to have a decent burger.

(They recently built a location near me right next to a McDs and across the street also there is a new BK. Looks like some prime competition going on there.)
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*E
a give guys just opened by me... good burger and a reasonable price. did some reading on them, and found out that there meat quality isn't very good, which explains their "well done" policy. still a good tasting burger though.

prefer in-n-out, but none here on the east coast. nothin' beats a burger and milkshake
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by livcheng
a give guys just opened by me... good burger and a reasonable price. did some reading on them, and found out that there meat quality isn't very good, which explains their "well done" policy.
That's why, IMO, the give guys chain will never hold a candle to the Five Guys chain who, in fact, DO use quality beef
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm glad there's one in Tempe, AZ now right up the street from ASU.

Of course I could have used it seven years ago when I was in the dorms and the only walking distance hamburger was Jack in the Box
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC*E
oops, yes, i meant five guys!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by livcheng
oops, yes, i meant five guys!
Just yanking your chain.

Another member referred to the chain as Five Gays yesterday.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Five Guys is just horrible... do they add grease to their food, especially the fries? It makes McD's seem healthy.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:49 pm

Five guys seems to be opening up new stores left and right. Wonder if they will be the Boston Chicken / Krispy Kreme of the 2010s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.