Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Five Guys (the hamburger place)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by anonplz
I know that, actually - with tax, Burger Joint is actually cheaper than 5 Guys.

My point was, even if, say, Smith & Wollensky gave out burgers for free, many people wouldn't go there because the help would sneer, the patrons would laugh, and it's just not a pleasant experience.

Burger Joint is in Le Parker Meridien, so same thing - that's what I was saying. The guys from the mail room might well go to 5 Guys and feel perfectly at home; the Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien? Nope.

But by all means, folks, go and try Burger Joint! I may do that myself at some point.
It is lunch time. I am near neither but it is just as well as I am trying to eat healthy. I think I have some yogurt around
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by anonplz
Probably - I'm sure there are plenty of better burgers, like Peter Lugar's or many of the steakhouses.
As a "recession-busing" move, Ruth's Chris is experimenting with serving a bistro menu (which includes a burger, $13.50 inclusive of fries) in selected locations (West Palm Beach is the closest to my area).
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
As a "recession-busing" move, Ruth's Chris is experimenting with serving a bistro menu (which includes a burger, $13.50 inclusive of fries) in selected locations (West Palm Beach is the closest to my area).
Or even recession-busting. Sorry, but you know someone was going to do it.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous poster: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
The burgers are good, but I prefer mine medium. I usually don't order fries because the smallest order is nearly $3. and too much for one person. No kid size food, either, IIRC.

I wish there was an option for more patties-

As messy as they can get by adding all (or most) toppings... I could go with a litte more protien
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Don't expect her to be honest about this one.
We have another believer! "i didn't think that anything could beat In-N-Out but I must admit, this is better". Second bet won off of her in a week!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Or even recession-busting. Sorry, but you know someone was going to do it.

Maybe they're trying to "bus" the recession right out of town...
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Funny this thread should be bumped to the top. I was at 5 Guys last night for the first time in about a year and had a great burger, aside from a complaint to the manager.

The guy putting toppings on buns was wearing gloves (good), pulled his phone from his pocket and wrote a text message while wearing said gloves (bad), then went back to putting toppings on without changing his gloves (double bad).

I told the manager and she was apologetic and had him change his gloves but he did not remake the affected potentially contaminated buns (the burgers were still on the grill). I'm sure much worse happens in closed kitchens, but it left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not sure if I'll be back for a while.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by phillygold
We have another believer! "i didn't think that anything could beat In-N-Out but I must admit, this is better". Second bet won off of her in a week!
Y'all ought to come to Chicago for a burger do. According to Chicago Magazine, Five Guys is only the 27th best burger in Chicago!

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...rs-in-Chicago/
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN
Am I nuts because I like Five Guys AND In-N-Out? (Just had the latter while in Vegas a few weeks back. Awesome, per usual.)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CousinNick
Am I nuts because I like Five Guys AND In-N-Out? (Just had the latter while in Vegas a few weeks back. Awesome, per usual.)

Nope... for those of us with limited options... its always amazing to stop at either joint
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:35 am

Am I nuts because I like Five Guys AND In-N-Out?
No, that's not the reason.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

No. I would say the reverse. If you like burgers and don't like both I would think there is a problem (or some lack of candor ). Both make a great fast food burger.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:54 am

It is all about the free nuts at five guys.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I lunched today at one of the Five Guys in Annapolis and I am definetly a fan.

I enjoyed the free peanuts, the toppings selections and the cajun fries. Thanks to this thread I knew to order one regular fries for me and my brother and they were more than enough.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:29 pm

Believe it or not, i LOVE LOVE LOVE the soggy bun. It just completes the package of the morphed ball of burger goodness. Fries are great too...just they give you too much. 5 Guys > Fuddruckers > In-n-Out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.