Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I was so inspired that I just had one for lunch. But I had to wave the two pieces of toast briskly in the air for a minute or so to get them to room temperature.

Mmmmm.... Melty peanut butter! I can no longer eat a cold peanut butter sandwich.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I know someone on this board who has the same eating patterns as Nicole Richie
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:35 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
1) Many foods become better when bacon is involved.
and the people said.. AMEN!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:44 am

On French toast, pancakes or waffles, only excellent maple syrup should be used (nothing of the Log Cabin ilk). I bring my own maple syrup with me when I go for breakfast and discretely whip it out of my purse when the pancakes arrive.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
My beef should be bleeding...not mooing but still bleeding. This works for steak, hamburgers, etc.

Chicken should be cooked...I don't want to be able to see through it.

Mayo makes everything better.

Fries should be eaten with Tartar sauce. If Tarter is not available, mayo will do.

Hot dogs are to be eaten with relish and katsup. Mayo is nice too although only if relish is not used.

I do not want to see mustard anywhere near ANY of my food. I don't care if it's yellow, grain, home made, Dijon, honey....it's all gross.

Pickles will also stay away from all my food.

All nuts, nut products and nut byproducts are gross. I don't like peanut butter and cashews are sick.

Sushi is great, sashimi is wonderful, carpaccio is divine. Tofu is great Brussels sprouts are great...lima beans are gross.

My duck shall have crispy skin and be almost cooked though on the inside.

Mashed potatoes must come from a potato, not a box.

Milk shall be 2% or greater. I don't want to be able to read the paper through my glass of milk.

Coffee shall have chicory in it, or shall be espresso...if it says "Foldgers or something of the like, it shall not be consumed.

Bread must not have anything "grainy" in it. I hate bread that has grains in it that get stuck in my teeth.

I know there are more....
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I rarely have a glass of milk, but when I do, it must be Chocolate Milk.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by venice4504

Fries should be eaten with Tartar sauce. If Tarter is not available, mayo will do.
Marry me?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:49 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I could never live with cblaisd.

1. Syrup SHOULD be applied to bacon and sausage.

2. Peanut Butter sandwiches (creamy, please!) should be toasted and melted (although I'm totally good with the no jams/jellies).

3. I mostly got over it, but I was very upset when Subway changed their SOP. I really felt strongly about keeping the bread -> meat -> veggies -> mustard -> bread sequencing. I still die a little inside every time I eat the newer-style Subway tacos where the toppins go upside down and the bread isn't cut all the way through.

4. Like many others have noted, I've gotten very much on the "real food" bandwagon. If it's been processed or added to in a way nature never intended, I rarely eat it anymore. I realize that this negates rule #1, but I still occasionally have such fare and you can be damn sure there's syrup invovled!

I know I have many, many more, but they are escaping me at the moment. I would like to reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone likes peanut butter and pickle sandwich?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I know someone on this board who has the same eating patterns as Nicole Richie
What? One lettuce leaf and ralph it out two minutes later?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Marry me?
Sure, over fries, why not?

Can you keep me in the lifestyle in which I would like to become accustomed to?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
What? One lettuce leaf and ralph it out two minutes later?
Yup, and constantly drinking water. This person also finds "bony looking body" attractive What has our society done to the new generation of spoiled kids?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
If it has any sugar in it (or any of the various hidden sugars like glucose, fructose, etc) I will not eat it (no I am not diabetic.....just health conscious)........

Fried/scrambled eggs "must" have cheese liberally applied...........

The more crunchy peanut butter on that hot 16 grain toast, the better.........

Fresh ground pepper belongs on almost everything except dessert...........
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I might actually be able to out-picky you!

Originally Posted by govmarley
I have a long list, but like I said in the other thread, I'm a picky pants.

--No onions of any color, shape or size. This is the #1 rule.
--Nothing green (desserts/candy excluded, unless it tastes green, if that makes any sense)
--Nothing orange (see exclusion above)
--No pepper/peppers of any color
--Condiments rarely accepted. Ketchup is fine in homemade BBQ sauce. Sometimes mayo/Miracle Whip, but usually only on a BLT (minus the L).
--Tomatoes are usually only acceptable if they are raw. And small, like a grape or cherry tomato. I rarely like red sauces (I think it's the spices, which are usually gross).
--Other food colors are considered on a case by case basis.
--Most, if not all, meats, breads and cheeses are A-ok. And potatoes.
--Corn must be a stand-alone food. It cannot be an ingredient in another dish, like a casserole or a soup. If corn is served, I either eat it all first, or last, so it doesn't touch other foods.
--I love chicken. Yummy!
--I love most breakfast foods.
--No tofu, or sushi. I will eat most fish, but it must be cooked thoroughly.

--Oddly enough, I like mushrooms. It seems most picky people hate mushrooms, but they are good with me.
Raw tomatoes are a no-go zone. If I forget to specify they're to be excluded from a salad, they are removed along with: olives, green pepper (any other color is fine) or cucumbers. My first encounter with a traditional Turkish breakfast was, shall we say, distressing. All I could eat were the boiled eggs and toast; the coffee was foul, so I was forced to drink tea, which I really dislike before noon.
Bleu cheese is another food in the no-go zone, unless it's finely enough crumbled in a salad.
Button mushrooms are bland and boring, but I eat them.
The only seafood I cannot stand is breaded, fried shrimp -ugh!
I fall squarely in the anti-coriander category; it ruins the dish.
I haven't this color preference, but others in the Forbidden Pantry include:

celery -- makes ordering tuna salad tricky as I would have to pick out every last bit of it. For crunch I use scallions at home.
pineapple -- the coconut in pina coladas keeps the nastiness under control, otherwise forget it!
peaches -- no thanks, not even in pie/cobbler.
strawberries -- only in shortcake. Period.
mangoes -- no thanks, except in chutney.
cauliflower -- yukkos. Keep it away. Far away!

Venice4504 said "Brussels sprouts are great...lima beans are gross" and I couldn't agree more. Lima beans were one of the three foods we were never served as kids; my mom loathes them. The others were Spam (my dad grew to hate it as a kid during WW II) and liver (my folks both dislike it). I agree on milk, but go further in finding 2% in coffee not much better than skim.

robb said: "Syrup SHOULD be applied to bacon and sausage" and my response is "doesn't everyone?" Actually, I used to slather syrup on hash browns as well, but have switched to green tabasco.
I'm probably among the handful of Americans who dislike iced tea.
I tend to mush my food around on the plate (sorry separatists!), but that must be genetic from my New Netherlands stamppot-scarfing ancestors.

A note to restaurateurs on potatoes ... the terms "hash browns" and "home fries" are NOT interchangeable! The former is swell, and the latter is lousy (to paraphrase Lucy Ricardo). Speaking of lousy, how can I forget caraway seed -- I have to ask every single time if the rye bread is seeded or not.

I'm a condiment fiend. I used to only put ketchup on hot dogs, but now I tend towards mustard. Tartar sauce has chopped pickles in it, and I hate cucumbers. Egg salad is best with generous amounts of curry powder and chutney mixed in. Peanut butter should be chunky. In addition to finding strawberry jam nasty, I'll pass on marmalade as well.

I'll drink whiskey but draw the line at Peat Moss Juice .. I mean scotch.

Acceptable pizza toppings -- onion, sausage, pepperoni, anchovies.
Chicken and tomato sauce are a nasty combo.

Most viands are okay; I used to order well-done, but now can tolerate medium. I actually like heart, kidney and liver. You haven't lived until you've tried Sweet n Sour Tongue in Raisin Sauce (or had liver stew for breakfast in India). My meat-y exception would be tripe. I tried andouillette in Paris a few years ago; the first bite was bad, the second was worse, there was no third.

Last, but most important ... absolutely, positively under NO circumstances do I want any broccoli anywhere near me. The smell is absolutely revolting (have I mentioned I like durian?), and the sight of it on my plate is depressing.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hot dogs with mustard only. They must be Wardynski's or Szylyngowski's ... with the skin. And the mustard must be Weber's horseradish mustard (all Buffalo things). Chopped onion is fine. Ketchup on a hot dog is an abomination.

Thinly sliced roast beef with the juice on a Kummelweck roll (another Buffalo thing). Mmmmm. And by the way, au jus means "with juice" ... saying "with au jus" is like saying "I'm stupid"

Need I mention Buffalo wings?

French fries (a popular topic, apparently) -- crispy hot, with the grease still crackling and popping, served in a cone-shaped thing, and doused with white vinegar and liberally salted. Love 'em.

French fries with mayonaise is another abomination that I'm sure is mentioned in Leviticus ... maybe twice. Ugh. You get your french fries in Germany that way, but at least all the fries are exactly the same length, and they are served all lined up parallel on the plate und you vill enjoy them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.