Reload this Page >

Your personal food rules.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Inspired by the horror of imperialistic, creeping, sausage-polluting syrup
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578694

What are your personal, weird, idiosyncratic "food rules"?

1. Pop Tarts are not to be heated until hot. They are to be only barely warmed. If allowed to heat through, they must cool until only barely warm.

2. Open faced peanut butter (chunky, please) sandwiches are best served on rye toast (or whole wheat). But the rye toast must be toasted crisply, and then allowed to cool to room temperature before peanut butter is applied. No melted peanut butter allowed! Jelly/jam should NEVER be added to open-faced peanut butter toast.

3. There is a reason that God made different chip products in their own bags. Chips of different kinds -- potato chips, tortilla chips, different flavored potato chips, etc. -- must never, after the party, be combined into one bag, and must never, at the party, be combined in one bowl.

4. Tofu? No. Thanks, no.

5. In a salami/pepperoni/etc. and cheese sandwich, or a hamburger, the mustard must be applied to the non-cheese side.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:48 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I general, I prefer eating most foods at room temprature versus hot or cold. I'll often let my dinner sit for an hour or so when I eat at home to accomplish this.

Not a rule though, just a preference
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Overheated Pop-Tart filling burns like sulfuric acid. You will lose all sense of taste for two days.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
If a caveman could eat it I would eat it.

Meat, vegetables and fruit are great. OK so there is the occasional complex carbo hydrate, but still natural unprocessed foods are best.

No foods with a celebrity or cartoon character on the box. By definition those are not good for you!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

eat real foods. No foods containing preservatives, additives, artificial colorings, etc.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No music, please. If I'd wanted to dance, I'd be at a disco.

Don't rush me!

And if you have to ask me if I need anything else, can you save it for after I've finished my meal, please?

Thank you.
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:16 pm

Ketchup does not go on a hot dog. EVER!!!!!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Meat goes on a pizza, vegetables go in a salad.
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

A BLT has to be on toasted bread (anything but rye) and accompanied by a real Coca Cola (not Diet).
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Ketchup does not go on a hot dog. EVER!!!!!
Originally Posted by redbeard911
Meat goes on a pizza, vegetables go in a salad.
Let all the people say Amen!!

Originally Posted by richard
eat real foods. No foods containing preservatives, additives, artificial colorings, etc.
Note to self: before dining at richard's, make sure there is someplace to buy food with taste on the way home
fatmenace likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Let all the people say Amen!!
Amen, Amen, Amen.

Mayonnaise on a cheeseburger needs to be on the hamburger side and not the cheese or bun side. And never, ever Miracle Whip.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
I general, I prefer eating most foods at room temprature versus hot or cold. I'll often let my dinner sit for an hour or so when I eat at home to accomplish this.
Interesting. I take my steak directly off the grill and onto a plate and eat it ASAP. Hell, if I am cooking a quarter of it will be gone while it is still on the grill.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
...2. Open faced peanut butter (chunky, please) sandwiches are best served on rye toast (or whole wheat). But the rye toast must be toasted crisply, and then allowed to cool to room temperature before peanut butter is applied.....
I was so inspired that I just had one for lunch. But I had to wave the two pieces of toast briskly in the air for a minute or so to get them to room temperature.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:35 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by indufan
...And never, ever Miracle Whip.
LOL. When I was growing up Miracle Whip was used instead of mayonnaise. I didn't have real mayonnaise until I left home and went to college. Man, I hated real mayonnaise with a passion for the longest time, but recently seem to have developed a preference for it on or in certain things.

I don't have many eccentricities when it comes to food, but I'll keep reading and see if I'm only kidding myself.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

6. There are only two things that ketchup is good for: using it with lemon juice to make an emergency sauce for dipping shrimp, and putting it in my homemade barbecue sauce.

7. If ice cream doesn't have some sort of textural contrast (nuts, chocolate chips, etc.) then it's not worth bothering.

8. NO, I don't want my pecan pie heated. Or my apple pie. Or my cherry pie. Or my mac nut pie. No. Apple crisp or blueberry crisp (with approximately three times the "crisp" part more than the recipe says) is acceptable warm with ice cream, but not hot. Room temperature is better than hot.

9. The waffle should be crisp. "Like this, sir?" No, please have the cook make it CRISP. CRISP.

10. While crisp bacon is better than no bacon at all, just-done limp bacon (insert own joke here) is perfect. Even better when cooked over charcoal. Not nearly so good when microwaved.

11. A nicely-done hush puppy is to have a hint of onion. There's a reason it's not known as an onion puppy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.