Reload this Page >

Your personal food rules.....

Your personal food rules.....

Old Jul 14, 06, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
(Shapiros comes to mind but the sausage is not one of them. At such places hold the "sausage" [sic]
One of my friends I'm visiting lives 5 minutes from Shapiro's in Carmel. Mmmmm...
Old Jul 14, 06, 9:25 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Please, oh please eat a pastrami on light rye for me, a small amount of yellow (not that hideous brown stuff) mustard. Nothing else. Well,maybe a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda.
Old Jul 14, 06, 9:29 pm

Another two for me relating to meat.

1. Ground beef MUST be fully cooked but still juicy
2. Steaks/Prime Rib MUST be hot/warm throughout but still pinkish in the middle and pink around the bone(s).
Old Jul 14, 06, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Please, oh please eat a pastrami on light rye for me, a small amount of yellow (not that hideous brown stuff) mustard. Nothing else. Well,maybe a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda.
Oh, you wouldn't enjoy eating with me then... pastrami on white or wheat, with mayo and onion, and some sweet tea to wash it down. Excellent
Old Jul 14, 06, 9:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
24. "Mustard" means -- and only means -- yellow mustard. No brown, foofified frenchie stuff.

25. Despite the signal culinary achievements of the South (the sausage biscuit, grits, country ham ^ , the hush puppy, fried catfish) there is one place the region is sadly benighted: ice tea is to be served with no sugar. If I wanted it sweet, I would put sugar in it. And, at the other end of the pretentiousness spectrum, mostly found in "fusion" restaurants where the portions are tiny and consist of things that are only marginally food, when I ask for tea I want regular, brown, 'Murican tea -- I don't want hints of raspberry or foofoo fruits.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Oh, you wouldn't enjoy eating with me then... pastrami on white or wheat, with mayo and onion, and some sweet tea to wash it down. Excellent
Sure I would. We can share. I'll eat the pastrami. You eat the other stuff.
Old Jul 14, 06, 9:49 pm

Programs: Alaska, NW, AGR, much love for WN
A couple more things...
Eggs must be thoroughly cooked. And I usually only eat them if I prepare them or watch them being prepared. The little white stringy thing must be removed. (It's a mental thing).
Steaks, or most all beef, must be medium at the most. Deep pink/red, juicy. Mooing is optional.
- Soup of most major kinds must be accompanied by enough crushed crackers to make the soup become solid. it cannot have any moisture left outside the crushed crackers.
Yes, yes, yes.
Old Jul 14, 06, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by govmarley
Eggs must be thoroughly cooked. And I usually only eat them if I prepare them or watch them being prepared. The little white stringy thing must be removed. (It's a mental thing).
That's the egg's umbilical cord. Or something like that.
Old Jul 14, 06, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by indufan
How many places have you been refused to given rare hamburger?
Those places which have said that they won't prepare beef rare are places I leave immediately. I've had that happen just a few times. They clearly buy cheap meat and thus have to have rules about cooking beef through and through otherwise their customers would get sick.
Old Jul 14, 06, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

26. This is the perfect hamburger: first slice bun(s) in half, butter them, apply garlic salt. Put aside to take with you to the grill. Shape ground beef into a thick patty. Cook over a very hot charcoal and hickory chip fire, turning as little as possible to keep outside charred but not burnt-to-a-crisp. The burger is done when it is still red in the middle and charred on the outside and cooked a little ways in from the surface. Remove from grill. Take the buns you have brought with you and place on the grill where the burgers were, buttered-side down. Toast on the grill for no more that 15 seconds. Then assemble burger: bottom bun on which you put a dollop of mustard and -- if feeling adventurous -- a dollop of a good barbecue sauce, then the patty, then unwrap a slice of American processed cheese food that is just taken out of the refrigerator. (Note: this is the only possible acceptable use of this slab o' yellow chemicals. On any other occasion it is nasty. The good news is that if you don't grill too often, a package of 8 wrapped slices will last a year in the fridge). Quickly add good potato chips (no foofoo flavored chips) to the plate. Eat burger immediately. The goal (a la the textural contrast rule) is to experience the difference between the hot burger and the cold cheese.

If the occasion and ingredients for such perfection are not at hand, any of these rules can be adapted -- except under no circumstances should the cheese ever be melted on the hamburger while it is cooking.
Old Jul 14, 06, 10:14 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
25. Despite the signal culinary achievements of the South (the sausage biscuit, grits, country ham ^ , the hush puppy, fried catfish) there is one place the region is sadly benighted: ice tea is to be served with no sugar. If I wanted it sweet, I would put sugar in it. And, at the other end of the pretentiousness spectrum, mostly found in "fusion" restaurants where the portions are tiny and consist of things that are only marginally food, when I ask for tea I want regular, brown, 'Murican tea -- I don't want hints of raspberry or foofoo fruits.
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

As a native of the "north", I hate having to specifically ask for "unsweet tea" here south of the Mason-Dixon... (I am now Pavlovian trained and do so even north of it too, by habit) and then half the time, they still give you sweet tea. No sugar, no equal, no pink stuff... perhaps a fresh wedge of lemon is all it needs. Oh, lots of ice too. Iced tea isn't lukewarm tea.

This is a great thread... a few of my food fetishes...

No runny eggs... runny eggs are gross to me.

No white bread. Rye or Italian/French (closest to white I'll do).

I'm doing better on eating beef with pink in it. My wife likes it medium rare, so I had to learn to grill that way for her. I just cook my a bit more now instead of medium well, I'm down to medium. London Broils have very appealing to me in the past year or so, especially if they've been marinated for a couple of days first.

Since figuring out I have a corn allergy, I've totally changed my eating style. No more fast food... not a lot of junk food. Well, exceptions like In-N-Out on the left coast where everything is made fresh.

No powdered cow in my coffee. Milk, real cream or half/half, or powdered milk are acceptable, no non-dairy stuff. Real coffee, real moo in it. Really bothered me around here when Hardees (I can eat some of their breakfast items) changed their coffee creamer to a liquid non-dairy creamer.
Old Jul 14, 06, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by Analise
Those places which have said that they won't prepare beef rare are places I leave immediately. I've had that happen just a few times. They clearly buy cheap meat and thus have to have rules about cooking beef through and through otherwise their customers would get sick.
You know some places require it by law.
Old Jul 14, 06, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Tennisbum
No, no, no. White tuna packed in olive oil (drained) with a lot of freshly ground pepper, a few capers and a little of the lovely, lemony, homemade-tasting Maille mayonnaise that French supermarkets sell in the dairy case.
I could definitely dine with Tennisbum and cblaisd ^
Old Jul 15, 06, 12:54 am

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Oh yeah, I have my own:

1) No raw onion shall ever touch my food or my plate;

2) "New England" or "Boston" (an iteration usually found west of the Continental Divide) clam chowder shall NEVER, EVER contain carrots, pimentos, or any vegetables whose colors are found in the ROY part of the spectrum;

3) Do what you want with your coffee at home but Dunkin Donuts coffee is best light & sweet (i.e., regular);

4) No Miracle Whip, ever (even on fries in Quebec);

5) Sweet & low only for iced tea (dissolves best & has best flavor);

6) When hosting a party, you can never have too much ice;

7) Tostadas are meant to be eaten whole by picking them up with your fingers (like a burger);

8) The less toppings on a pizza, the better;

9) No lemons with my seafood, thank you; and

10) Fried clams are meant to be eaten as "whole belly"; otherwise, what's the point?
Old Jul 15, 06, 1:10 am
Original Poster

27. Biscuits and gravy (another excellent thing given to us by the South) is (are?) to be eaten only when there is sufficient black pepper (about 1/4 of shaker of pepper per biscuit) available to top it.

Originally Posted by MKEbound
...Nothing should be dyed blue.
Except coconut snow cones.

Originally Posted by chuckd
Soup is not a meal, it's a liquid, and should be made with as little water as possible....
Even better: simmer the soup down until it's got virtually no liquid. Remove ucky green and orange things leaving only meat-with-a-hint-of-broth. Put into pastry crust, put a top crust on, and bake. Eat liberally with fresh ground pepper.
Old Jul 15, 06, 3:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by chuckd
No, 165.
OK, and 4' 8" tall?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: