Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your personal food rules.....

Your personal food rules.....

Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by BigLar
And by the way, au jus means "with juice" ... saying "with au jus" is like saying "I'm stupid"

Need I mention Buffalo wings?
Ha Ha -- one of the better lines I've seen lately.

Thanks for reminding me about chicken wings - I loathe them.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:46 pm

Cheese should not be presliced and wrapped individually in plastic packets that, when opened, make the cheese look more like rubber than cheese.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
13. I am really, really, really utterly uninterested in discussing what color order that M&Ms are to be eaten in. They taste exactly the same, whatever their color. But they must be eaten precisely two at a time.
Gotta disagree here. While I'll go with the "precisely two at a time part", color does matter, in terms of aesthetics if not in taste.

M&Ms are to be removed from their wrapper and placed in any convenient container. They are then to be scanned for most prevelant color(s), which will vary from batch to batch. They are then to be eaten in pairs, never two of the same color at the same time, and in such a way so as to wind up with an equal number of each color as early in the consumption process as possible. At this point you can then eat the rest of the Ms in some pattern of your choice, always maintaining the same color balance in the remaining Ms. While I don't bother to count the entire set before I begin, I do try to discover as early as possible if there is an odd number, at which point I eat three in the next batch, never one.

And, I still miss tan, which were my favorite.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Gotta disagree here. While I'll go with the "precisely two at a time part", color does matter, in terms of aesthetics if not in taste.

M&Ms are to be removed from their wrapper and placed in any convenient container. They are then to be scanned for most prevelant color(s), which will vary from batch to batch. They are then to be eaten in pairs, never two of the same color at the same time, and in such a way so as to wind up with an equal number of each color as early in the consumption process as possible. At this point you can then eat the rest of the Ms in some pattern of your choice, always maintaining the same color balance in the remaining Ms. While I don't bother to count the entire set before I begin, I do try to discover as early as possible if there is an odd number, at which point I eat three in the next batch, never one.

Geez, have you ever, ever, ever stepped on a crack?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by Carioca Canuck
Fresh ground pepper belongs on almost everything except dessert...........
Try freshly ground pepper on very sweet & juicy fresh strawberries. Alternately, use a very good quality balsamic vinegar.

Originally Posted by milepig

There are a number of seriously OCD posts on this thread. This is one.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I try to get as many AA IDine meals as I can. Not easy out here in the wild west, but I keep trying.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
I will NEVER change hands to use my knife when dining. The change-over to cut and change back seems like a lot of waste of time and for no apparent reason - food could get cold by then.
Yeah, no kidding. My in-laws can be annoying, but especially so in this case. I 'hear' through the grapevine that it isn't good manners when I don't change hands. I now make a point to NEVER change hands.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by Tennisbum
Is not (OCD). I eat sushi and raw oysters.

Well, maybe a little obsessive.
No necessarily. Take it from me, a person diagnosed w/OCD who throughly enjoys raw oysters and occasional sushi.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
The best breakfast in the world is "porridge with" or in American English, oatmeal with brown sugar and single malt scotch on top. Hold the milk for the kids.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
Cheese should not be presliced and wrapped individually in plastic packets that, when opened, make the cheese look more like rubber than cheese.
it's not the wrapping that makes that cheese look like rubber, it is rubber. Mostly oil and water.

Tillamook makes lovely presliced cheddar separated with sheets of parchment paper.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:52 pm

always eat your vegtables first because they get cold first.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by venice4504
Sure, over fries, why not?

Can you keep me in the lifestyle in which I would like to become accustomed to?
If we're talking fry dipping sauces, you have no idea! But if you're asking if we both put in for an upgrade and I get it, what would I do? Yeah, that's going to be a quickie divorce
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Originally Posted by BigLar
Geez, have you ever, ever, ever stepped on a crack?
Gotcha I actually wolf down Ms so fast that the color all becomes one big blur. I do, however, miss the tan ones.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:17 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
OK, here's my food weirdness:

1) Beef of any thickness must be between rare and medium rare. If possible absolutely scorched on the outside 1/32" is nice.

2) Ground beef is just fine as above. Tartare is a wonderful exception on the rare side. An egg on top and you have a convenient salmonella/E. Coli dispensing package. The risk makes it all the better.

3) Eggs to be cooked sunny-side up, hard and fast so the bottom of the white is crispy and the top of the white not runny, but the yolk must be fully runny and gooey. If you break it in the cooking process it must be abandoned and another one made.

4) Bacon must be floppy. Crispy bacon is worthless if it is to be kept in its entirety.

5) Pork cuts DO NOT get cooked to (whatever). Find the temp that yields a nice texture and flavor. I am good at say 140 or so.

6) If you are BBQ'ing a butt (real 'Q, not that grill stuff), you must get internal to 190 so it pulls all the way through. Pulling the outer 3/4, while still delicious, doesn't count.

7) Never ever shall okra or anything okra-like pass my lips.

8) Except for a few very unusual Belgian styles, no beer shall be allowed in the house that is made with rice and/or corn. Yuengling Lager is the only exception, I call it 'emergency beer'.

9) When cooking, onion slicing must be equatorial. How the pole cutters work with onions is beyond me.

10) Sangrita w/ tequila must be the real tomato stuff, not that cheap sugar red flavored drink, which even in Mexico is what is offered quite often.

11) When dealing with poultry lunch meats or small pieces, it must be fibrous and stringy. If it is shiny and rubbery then I want no parts of it. Bird meat must be in its natural state, not some pressed mass.

12) When getting Mexican-style or Tex-Mex foods, the cheese (w/ a few exceptions) must be real melted cheeses. If it comes in a bucket and get slopped on w/ a ladle I don't want it. 'Stadium nachos' are vile and why anyone that is not part of a captive audience would willingly pay for this stuff is beyond me. I have to ask as well, I have been to too many places where the menu reads "3 melted cheeses" and you get bucket goop. If you see the words "Queso sauce", run away.

13) Olives of any sort are banned. Olive oil is to be encouraged.

14) Taylor Pork Roll is the Food of the Gods and must be eaten with a slice of raw red onion and a dollop of Kelchner's mustard.

15) Ribs are to be barbecued (real, not grilled), and served, dry. Provide sauce(s) on the side.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:27 pm

Hmmm....

1) Exactly 2 hot dogs a year max.

2) Food shouldn't mix on the plate. I'm not so bad as to eat off of trays with walls between the food, but I will all of one item before moving onto the next in order to prevent any mixing.

3) On road trips, I must buy the most disgusting sounding sugary caffeinated beverage available for sale. That can't be healthy.

4) Try anything local. Whether it's pepperoni rolls in West Virginia or cuy in Ecuador.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.