Reload this Page >

Your personal food rules.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by carpboy
4) Bacon must be floppy
Preach it!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:39 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by BigLar
Hot dogs with mustard only. They must be Wardynski's or Szylyngowski's ... with the skin. And the mustard must be Weber's horseradish mustard (all Buffalo things). Chopped onion is fine. Ketchup on a hot dog is an abomination.

Thinly sliced roast beef with the juice on a Kummelweck roll (another Buffalo thing). Mmmmm. And by the way, au jus means "with juice" ... saying "with au jus" is like saying "I'm stupid"

Need I mention Buffalo wings?
Or a Friday Fish Fry (as you can only get in the western NY area... I'm originally from near Olean).

For those in the CLT area, there is a little hole in the wall up near Lake Norman just off US 21 called "A Taste of Buffalo Pizzaria" that does both Beef on Weck and traditional Buffalo Fish Frys on Fridays only. I can vouch for the fish... a decent Buffalo replacement. Their wings are as good as in Buffalo, too. The owners are retired from the Cheektowaga area.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:46 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Originally Posted by happymob

4) Try anything local. Whether it's pepperoni rolls in West Virginia
As a resident of this state for over 15 years, I agree. They are so simple... yet so good, especially with hot pepper cheese. They even sell these in the convenience stores in the northern part of the state (esp. up I-79).

Speaking of mini-marts... the Sheetz brand in Western PA/Eastern OH/Northern WV/VA have excellent subs, made to order exactly to your liking. They are an excellent substitute for subs I'm used to in Western NY. There is no comparison between Sheetz and Subway (yuck).
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by cblaisd
2. Open faced peanut butter (chunky, please) sandwiches are best served on rye toast (or whole wheat). But the rye toast must be toasted crisply, and then allowed to cool to room temperature before peanut butter is applied. No melted peanut butter allowed! Jelly/jam should NEVER be added to open-faced peanut butter toast.
Thought of this thread this morning. I got involved in a phone call while my bread was toasting and it cooled to room temperature before I could get back to it to apply the peanut butter.

Bread never microwaves well, and I didn't want to further toast my bread (it should be lightly golden brown, thanks!). So, I had throw out that toast and start again to get properly melted peanut butter toast.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:29 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robb
Thought of this thread this morning. I got involved in a phone call while my bread was toasting and it cooled to room temperature before I could get back to it to apply the peanut butter.
You are SO fortunate.

Bread never microwaves well, and I didn't want to further toast my bread (it should be lightly golden brown, thanks!). So, I had throw out that toast and start again to get properly melted peanut butter toast.
Isn't it amazing and thrilling how are differences add to the rich mix that is FlyerTalk?

Even when you're wrong, dead wrong.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
fat free = taste free....so never buy fat free items
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Another amen.

I have a friend who orders a non-fat, no-whip mocha at Starbucks. It would be easier and tastier just get an empty cup and eat it.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:05 pm

Another amen.

I have a friend who orders a non-fat, no-whip mocha at Starbucks. It would be easier and tastier just get an empty cup and eat it.
What is the point? If I go to Starbucks, I want to get spoiled for the $$... not suffer. I can do that at home.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
1. No oysters ever, if in a country where I don't know the word for oyster, find out PDQ. (Eaten twice, been ill for four days twice)
2. No oranges or parsnips ever, they are Satan's own fruit and vegetable.
3. Bacon only to be consumed in the UK & Ireland
4. Sausage only to be consumed at home (where I know the source) or in mainland Europe or if there is a handy bottle of brown sauce.
5. If the beer is so cold it frosts the glass, it's not worth drinking
6. Whatever wine the restaurant is pushing is well worth avoiding
7. If in mainland Europe, don't eat where there are too many people speaking English
8. If in mainland Europe, curry is usually a very bad idea.
9. Alcohol must be taken before consuming McDo's, kebabs or FEBO
10. If someone is barking for a place, it's not worth eating there
11. No dressing on salad (this can cause havoc in the USA)
12. If you don't know what it is, it won't hurt you
13. Fruit should be ripe, especially tomatoes
14. Marmite is the food of the Gods, but try explaining that to Customs sometimes
15. If you are a tea drinker, stick to drinking in countries which understand what tea is.
16. If you are going to eat an ethnic cuisine, pick one which is reasonably represented in that country/area
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:13 am

OK, I'll bite (pun intended!)

1. I like mushy foods. Bacon must be limp and greasy, toast just barely yellow with lots of butter. Mushy peas in England are great - like thick split pea soup. French fries are best when shoestring thin and limp, with a bit of salt and a spicy barbecue sauce.

2. Most foods simply exist as a vehicle to get the sauce into my mouth, i.e., pasta, fries, etc.

3. Bagels can be crisp on the outside, but must be mushy and soft on the inside. Butter is better than cream cheese, because it increases the mushiness.

4. Any meat must be no more than medium - rare preferred if a good cut, medium-rare is acceptable if tough. Marinade does wonders... try it! Hockey pucks are not food.

5. Must eat each food separately - do not mix on the plate. If they are touching, I will separate them.

6. Must eat a couple mouthfulls of each food to balance the taste throughout the meal. I will most likely finish my least favorite item first, so to have the best tasting item linger on my palate.

7. Ice cream - the more bits and flavors, the better. Caramel, marshmallow, chips, toffee, throw it all in. Add some fudge.

8. Ice cream must also be mushy. I will let it sit until it is. I've even microwaved it a bit if too hard. Some reason for this is my teeth - they ache if I eat something too cold.

9. No ice in my water. No lemon in my water. Just water, thanks - if I had wanted lemonade, I would have asked for it. Even taking it out afterwards leaves a lemon taste on the glass.

10. Eggs over easy, please - just enough run in the yolk to dip the mushy toast in. Once the toast is done, the eggs aren't runny anymore, and can be eaten at leisure, with liberal pepper and a dash of salt.

11. It seems a consensus that condiments should not be on the cheese side of a burger or sandwich - I agree.

12. I'll do yellow mustard if I must, but prefer dijon or other brown mustards, I like the spices. Ketchup must be Heinz and is only good on fries. Only.

13. Grew up on Miracle Whip. The other stuff is nasty.

14. Iced tea is not something I ever drink. Tea should be hot (not scalding!), without sugar or lemon or milk. I live in Florida, so this is difficult to find, sometimes. I've seen one restaurant offer to microwave a glass of their iced tea!! (I turned it down!) The Anglophile in me is screaming.

15. A sandwich is always an acceptable way to serve leftovers. Sandwiches are good.

16. Cold pizza is a perfectly nutritious and delicious breakfast. Please don't ruin it by putting stuff like maple syrup on it (had a friend do this,yuk!)

17. Salad is eaten first when in the US. Other countries have other rules, which I will follow with delight, but serve my salad first here in the US or not at all.

18. If I ask for a Greek Salad with no croutons or bread, why put a scoop of potato salad on the top? Is it not obvious I'm avoiding carbs?

19. No sliced tomatoes if I can help it. Grape or cherry are fine, but the sliced ones look like murder on a platter. ew.

20. I am hungry when I wake up, at noon, and around 6pm. If you have other times in mind for your meal, go eat alone.

21. I love sushi and would eat it every meal if I could afford to. Sashimi, too. Bring it on!

22. The one exception to mushy foods - fried chicken must be crisp. Otherwise I won't touch it.

23. Spices are good, but warn me first. I love spicy stuff, but want to make sure I have sufficient flame-retardant drink on hand.

24. When spreading butter, jam, peanut butter, cream cheese, etc. on anything, it must be as even as possible, and cover the entire slice. No dry spots allowed, no clumps allowed (unless impossible, like thick jam).

25. Garlic bread is always acceptable. It is an exception to rule #2. In this case, garlic bread is the reason and the marinara sauce it is scooping up is simply a tasty garnish. The pasta is optional to this meal.

26. Chowders and stews should be chunky and low on liquid. Soups can be clear/cream soups (like tomato or broth) or can be regular soups. Don't mix the names up, please. The regular soups should have 2 or 3 crackers crumbled in them. The chowders may have some oyster crackers, but the stews shouldn't need them.

27. When I was a child I used to cover all steaks with a blanket of garlic salt so thick the thing was all white. I have since discovered better cuts of steak. No garlic salt, though garlic is more than welcome in the marinade. A-1 is only used if the steak is below par.

28. Corn is the best vegetable, period. Cream corn is a crime against nature.

29. I don't like flaky crusts. Apple pie, cherry pie, etc. are usually victims of this. Give me key lime pie or cheesecake, and I'm a happy camper.

30. I don't like flaky breads, either. If I bite into it and am all of a sudden wearing most of the crust, it fails. This mess is one reason why I like mushy breads. The crust can be crisp without being flaky - but regardless, the inside must be soft and mushy. Yeast rolls are especially good at this.

31. No cooked peas unless they stand alone as a side dish with pearl onions. No cracker crusts. No cooked tuna fish from a can. This means tuna noodle casserole is RIGHT OUT!

I think that's it

Boy, wouldn't a shrink have a field day with these lists???
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Post of the Day!

Another amen.

The answer is 'yes'.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:41 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I love Tofu.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
1. Pizza must be crunchy. It needs to be able to be tossed into a pond and skip along the water. Yes, I like crunchy pizza.

2. Garlic bread, also needs to be crunchy.

3. Bacon = soft, no exceptions.

4. I can't stand overgrilled steaks. I much perfer steaks made on a pan fryer. They're juicer and if seasoned appropriately, taste much much better.

5. Grilled chicken is too dry, see above.

6. If the tomato isn't cooked, please don't put it near me. I'm allergic.

7. Burritos require hotsauce, no exceptions. No Salsa either, see above.

8. "wraps" don't exist. Bread please, toasted, crunchy.

9. Soups need to be more meat and noodles vs. broth. I just like the substance.

10. Popcorn, light only.. I can't stand the 'butter migraine' I get from that 'movie theatre' batter stuff they sell in stores. Also at the theatre, I only get regular, unbuttered popcorn.

11. No fried rice, ever. I like the taste, but the fact that one small serving equals, in a decent restaurant, can be as much as 1400 calories, i'll take a pass.

12. Curry is the spice and seasoning of Gods, please take note.

13. If the sausage is not steaming from the middle, it's undercooked. I don't care how black the outside looks.

14. No black-exterior sausages, ever.

15. Pizza and red peppers go together like coca-cola and carbonation. I do not know one w/o the other.

16. One exception to the toasted bread rule - peanut butter and Jelly. I can't stand hot peanut butter.

17. none of those green onion thingies on my Fettuccini Alfredo. If I wanted green stuff, I'd order a salad.

18. Curly or seasoned fries over regular fries, any day of the week, any minute of the day.

19. Burgers should be plain, no lettuce, no ketchup.. nothing. Just meat and cheese. I never got used to eating burgers the other way, my dad taught me well
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Personal food rules? With my screen name "kaukau", just keep bringing it!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:55 pm

I've been a happy (and yes, food loving and craving) vegetarian for a little over a year now. I don't do it at all for health reasons, though I do feel a whole lot better now. I've been exposed to so much more variety since making the switch.

- Nothing from the animal kingdom. I'm not against eating meat, but there are so many problems with where most of it comes from that it's just easier to avoid it entirely. I don't have to wonder or investigate where it came from and what the welfare of the animals was like. If I had access to a place like Polyface Farms (http://www.polyfacefarms.com) or had the time and patience to go fishing, I might still eat some meat occasionally. Since I avoid avoid it entirely, I know there's less suffering, more "pigs being pigs", animals eating what their stomachs have evolved to digest, far less environmental damage, etc. Factory farming which is where most meat originates is a nasty industry for both the animals and the environment.

- Locally grown food when practical.

- Fresh food when practical. Though I'm guilty of eating plenty of Amy's frozen meals (http://www.amyskitchen.com) when I'm short on time.

- No eggs or egg-based dishes like quiches. I still eat some dishes where egg is a minor ingredient like most desserts.

- Soy over dairy most of the time. I've actually preferred soy milk since I started drinking it. Try vanilla Silk on your cereal and you might be pleasantly surprised. I still eat some cheese on pizza, goat cheese on salads, have some smoothies with whey protein, some fake cheese with casein, etc.

- I don't like onions. I must love onion flavor because I love lots of soups and Indian dishes where it's the #1 or #2 ingredient, but I still avoid them when possible. Especially when they're raw.

- Celery is just as bad as onions. Fortunately that's a pretty easy ingredient to avoid.

- If you claim that you can't stand tofu, you probably haven't had it prepared properly. Please don't let your one experience with tofu be Tofurkey. It's awful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.