Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nkedel
I could ask the same question of most Americans, but why how can you taste anything but condiments with that much on the burger?
The key is in moderation. Balanced amounts of the condiments, that way no one flavor dominates but rather it all combines into a "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" situation.

Also, longer answer...I didn't know meat could have moisture in it until I grew up, moved out and cooked it myself. Mom used to cook burgers until they were crumbly and grey and sucked all water out of your head. I needed all those condiments just to be able to chew and swallow a burger, and they provided the needed moisture to sustain my life until the end of the meal. So I like sloppy, messy burgers as an adult.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:36 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

another-- avoid stevia
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by noodlenoggin
1. My hash browns have to be CRUNCHY. Not crispy, not "lightly golden," but "your cook will think they're burnt and I'll think they're perfect" crunchy.

2. Keep the %$&* salt off my @#$% caramel!

3. M&M's must be lined up by color in a bar-graph before consumption.

4. There is a proper order of condiments/ingredients on a sandwich or burger. It is, from top to bottom:
  • Bun top
  • mayonnaise
  • tomato
  • any other vegetables
  • lettuce
  • cheese
  • meat
  • pickles
  • ketchup
  • mustard
  • bun heel
In this way, the mayo and tomato combine to a runny deliciousness, which is protected by the lettuce. Same lettuce protects the cheese from being soggied by the deliciousness. The meat is then central AND able to melt the cheese if it's a hot sandwich, and below the meat, the tangy ingredients combine into a ketchup/mustard/pickle tang-tastic mess. And the deliciousness is separated from the tang-tastic mess by the meat. This is sandwich/burger perfection, people.
Unless "any other vegetables" is or includes onions, your burger is incomplete. And, in which location would grilled onions go? I think they need to go atop the cheese.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
It can have no more than eight legs.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
1. My hash browns have to be CRUNCHY. Not crispy, not "lightly golden," but "your cook will think they're burnt and I'll think they're perfect" crunchy.

2. Keep the %$&* salt off my @#$% caramel!

3. M&M's must be lined up by color in a bar-graph before consumption.

4. There is a proper order of condiments/ingredients on a sandwich or burger. It is, from top to bottom:
  • Bun top
  • mayonnaise
  • tomato
  • any other vegetables
  • lettuce
  • cheese
  • meat
  • pickles
  • ketchup
  • mustard
  • bun heel
In this way, the mayo and tomato combine to a runny deliciousness, which is protected by the lettuce. Same lettuce protects the cheese from being soggied by the deliciousness. The meat is then central AND able to melt the cheese if it's a hot sandwich, and below the meat, the tangy ingredients combine into a ketchup/mustard/pickle tang-tastic mess. And the deliciousness is separated from the tang-tastic mess by the meat. This is sandwich/burger perfection, people.
1. 100% agree. I flip them over and over until there's nothing soft in the center.

4. Where does the fried egg go?

Originally Posted by yyznomad
It can have no more than eight legs.
I agree but would make an exception if I was invited to Thanksgiving dinner with John Madden.

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 13, 2018 at 7:50 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
There is a proper order of condiments/ingredients on a sandwich or burger. It is, from top to bottom:
  • Bun top
  • mayonnaise
  • tomato
  • any other vegetables
  • lettuce
  • cheese
  • meat
  • pickles
  • ketchup
  • mustard
  • bun heel
I don't like mustard, onions, nor pickles on a burger. I prefer to eat a pickle spear on the side. Also I prefer my burger top to bottom like this:

Standard Toppings
Crown
Mayo
Ketchup
Lettuce
Tomato
Meat
Heel

I would only put cheese (American) on it if it also has Bacon which both would be between the tomato and meat.

However, my favorite burger is a Grilled Mushroom/Swiss burger with a lot of mushrooms and double slice of swiss cheese on top of and under the meat.

BTW, it has to be
Rare with the juices flowing out of it. I know the possibility of getting sick, but in my 50+ years, it has only happened once about 20 years ago, and I was all better after 12 hours and taking some Pepto to move me along.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
At the opposite extreme of these bedecked burgers, there is this thread that could use some updated data points

In the U.S., what does ordering a "plain hamburger" mean where you live?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Unless "any other vegetables" is or includes onions, your burger is incomplete. And, in which location would grilled onions go? I think they need to go atop the cheese.
No sir, you are incorrect. (Yeah, they'd go where they can help melt the cheese into gooeyness)

Originally Posted by BamaVol
4. Where does the fried egg go?
Nowhere. Egg allergies suck butt.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My rule is, "It's okay if you don't like it, but don't say that until you've tried it." I am a picky eater but not a timid eater. I'll try anything once (within reasonable limits). If I like it, great; if I don't, I won't eat it again, and there will be no negotiation on that point.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Larissa123
Does anyone of you has a permanent rule of cooking.... [Removed link that contained malware and banned poster as a spammer.]
​​​​​​
I may be the opposite of you. I don't know about "permanent" but here are a few I live by:

- Unless making massive quantities of something, use a good chef's knife rather than a food processor.
- Own a Le Creuset Dutch oven, use it often, especially to slowly simmer homemade soups and stews rather than a crockpot or pressure cooker.
- Steaks should start in a scalding hot cast iron pan that you put in your oven to finish.

I suppose my gadgets aren't that cool...

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 30, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by JBord
​​​​​​
I may be the opposite of you. I don't know about "permanent" but here are a few I live by:

- Unless making massive quantities of something, use a good chef's knife rather than a food processor.
- Own a Le Creuset Dutch oven, use it often, especially to slowly simmer homemade soups and stews rather than a crockpot or pressure cooker.
- Steaks should start in a scalding hot cast iron pan that you put in your oven to finish.

I suppose my gadgets aren't that cool...
Since so much food prep requires onions (and to a lesser extent green peppers and/or celery and/or carrots), a food processor is a necessity to make the vegetables invisible to my partner.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Jack. Isn’t. Bourbon.
YES! I can't stand being offered Jack Daniels when I ask about bourbon.

One of the reasons I hate flying B6, they have no bourbon on the menu but have Jack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.