Consolidated "Grilling" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Grilling" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
One of my favorite things to grill is chicken kabobs. I used to use the old standby, Italian dressing, as a marinade. However, this can sometimes result in dry chicken. Recently I've been using a yogurt/olive oil based marinade that I got from Cook's Country magazine. The yogurt really seems to give the chicken a good flavor and results in unfailingly moist chicken.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: AS/MVP, *Wood G
Originally Posted by jfe
Perfect

I added a little bit of basil butter on top of it

Ribeye, mmmmmmmmm.

I have heard that a big blob of butter put on right at the end of cooking is the thing to do. Do you do the butter thing regularly?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
If doing burgers, it is best to think thick. They lose some girth when they cook and you don't want to end up with little White Castle BS burgers.
costco has a great pack of non frozen thick ones. they also have great frozen steak burgers too.

Also, for fish, I like to put a big piece of salmon into a tin foil boat and fill that with spices. You can buy those oven bags or make a boat out of any tin foil.

lastly, did people know that in new england, it's called a cookout and not a BBQ?

MM
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Seems a lot easier to pick up one of those cooked chickens from the local grocery store and a 6-pack.
does not taste as good and it defeats the whole purpose of this thread !!!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Howie721
How much beer should we leave in the can before we add the dry rub? Just like one big gulp? Also, what heat should we cook this on med-high? How long does it take for the juices to run clear, 2 hours or so?

Thanks!
I use cornish hens since they taste better and I leave about 1/2 to 3/4 of the can...for a chicken leave a bit more than 3/4 full, and for a bigger chicken get the "tall boys'

cokk this on med-high in the center of your grill - cover down

for a hen, it takes 20-30 mins and if you have meat thermometer, wait till it reads poultry but stick that thermometer in deep in the thigh !!!!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by andyandy
One of my favorite things to grill is chicken kabobs. I used to use the old standby, Italian dressing, as a marinade. However, this can sometimes result in dry chicken. Recently I've been using a yogurt/olive oil based marinade that I got from Cook's Country magazine. The yogurt really seems to give the chicken a good flavor and results in unfailingly moist chicken.
try this next if you like spicy chicken kebabs...\

go to your local ethnic store and buy tandoori marnade...mix with yogurt and leave overnight...cook next day....

let us know how it turns out....
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Motor Mouth
Ribeye, mmmmmmmmm.

I have heard that a big blob of butter put on right at the end of cooking is the thing to do. Do you do the butter thing regularly?
Here's a trick I learned at one of the better restaurants in the French Quarter in NO. It's been so long ago that I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but.....

Right before you take your steak off of the grill, take some finely grated horseradish & smear it over the top side of the steak. It should almost melt into the meat & disappear. Most excellent flavor!!!

The first time I tried it, I had to be convinced to let the chef do it. They promised me another steak if I didn't like it. I did not ask for another steak.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by anaggie
yes, MOD have that poster removed. hehehehe
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
Here's a trick I learned at one of the better restaurants in the French Quarter in NO. It's been so long ago that I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but.....

Right before you take your steak off of the grill, take some finely grated horseradish & smear it over the top side of the steak. It should almost melt into the meat & disappear. Most excellent flavor!!!

The first time I tried it, I had to be convinced to let the chef do it. They promised me another steak if I didn't like it. I did not ask for another steak.
OK. I have heard this enough times, gotta try it. Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie
I don't know, I have (in the early years) grilled some rather questionable quality stuff. Although, I can guarantee I had more fun grilling bad food than I ever did buying "good" food!!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Motor Mouth
OK. I have heard this enough times, gotta try it. Thanks!
here is another tip....when you melt the butter, mash some fresh garlic/chives and melt it with that....HMMMMMM !!!

Add some Jalapenos if you want to give it a kick !!!

but remember to take the butter as soon you take the steak off the grill....
Old Aug 9, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Reading this thread this morning made start craving grilled swordfish, so I had to stop on the way home. Made a quick rub of pepper, paprika, cajun seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and probably a couple other things from the spice rack. Basted both sides with olive oil and sprinkled rub. Basted grill with olive oil to prevent sticking. About seven minutes on each side (about 3/4" thick) over a medium grill. Came out excellent, but I did use a little too much salt.

I need to learn to measure stuff so I can later duplicate things that come out good.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I agree with the poster who recommended Weber Grills, I have a weber that Ive had for 10 years and is going strong still. One thing nice about the webers is that for about 80-100 bucks you can replace the grates, flavorizer bars and the grill is good as new IMO.
Once a year (usually in the spring) I take my grill to the car wash (do it yourself kind) spray a whole can of oven cleaner on it blast it with the pressure hose, works great.

My brother in law just gave away his 1000 dollar Jenn-air because it didnt cook as well as his 400 dollar weber
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
One of the best secret grilling weapons I have, I discovered when I use to work at Morton's....certain steaks they would tenderize by using this product called the jaccard meat tenderizer...

Works like a charm by using these piercing forks to tenderize the meat without damaging it, therefore giving your marinades better absorbing power into the meat and as an added bonus, it also decreases cooking time!^

Check it out for yourself at

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ywords=jaccard
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:40 pm

dry steak rub: season salt/lemon pepper/garlic powder equal parts mixed. this works for me every time and doesnt overwhelm the taste of the steak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.