Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Grilling" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Grilling Tuna on Weber

Anyone have any tips for cooking tuna on the grill? I have never cooked tuna before and want to try. From what I have had in restaurants it looks like the hardest part is know when its done. Somewhere between overcooked and sushi.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:48 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by ghia74
Anyone have any tips for cooking tuna on the grill? I have never cooked tuna before and want to try. From what I have had in restaurants it looks like the hardest part is know when its done. Somewhere between overcooked and sushi.
I usually coat mine in olive oil and dust them with a little salt and pepper.

The key to how long to grill does take some practice, unfortunately. Too many variables to give a once-size-fits-all solution, but I have a charcoal grill and I usually buy 1" thick tuna steaks. I also like mine on the medium well side...still just a hint of pink in the center. On my grill, I can accomplish this in 3 - 4 minutes per side, but you have to take into account distance from coals and the heat of the coals, which is often determined by how much charcoal you use and how long you've let it burn down.

When I take them off the grill, I squeeze on some fresh lime or lemon juice and snip a little fresh dill weed over the top as a garnish.

Man. Now, I may have to do this again fairly soon.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I have cooked tuna steaks by making a marinade with spices, rub and oils, plus lemon and lime, and then placing the whole mix with the fish into the same kind of tin foil "boat" I mentioned above with Salmon. letting it grille on a low setting for a while is key. practice with smaller pieces. Ummmmmm! good!

MM
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Lemon slices cooking salmon

For grilling Salmon I always find slicing up a lemon and placing it on the grate with the fish on top keeps the salmon from sticking but also adds some flavor to the fish.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:52 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I have cooked tuna steaks by making a marinade with spices, rub and oils, plus lemon and lime, and then placing the whole mix with the fish into the same kind of tin foil "boat" I mentioned above with Salmon. letting it grille on a low setting for a while is key. practice with smaller pieces. Ummmmmm! good!

MM
Yeah, I'm with you on the tin-foil boat for salmon (although brushed with teriyaki sauce and topped with slices of lemon)...but I like grill marks on my tuna steaks.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Thanks for the tips on the tuna Lurker and Marathon Man. As this is a celebratory dinner for my brother and his new fiancee (its her favorite meal), I think I will do some practice runs before they get here. There is a restaurant in the Intercontinental across the street from my office. They make a tuna burger that is cooked just right. Good to know it is only a few minutes each side as I tend to overcook new things on the grill.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS/MVP, *Wood G
Originally Posted by ghia74
"Done" is the kicker. I have used my charcoal chimney (about 3/4 full when supper hot). Put the cooking grate right on top of the chimney and sear all sides for less than 1 minute. If the tuna is shaped like a box, this will get you a seared out side, and that just warmed middle. If you have steaks, I can't help you.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 3:37 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by tev9999
Reading this thread this morning made start craving grilled swordfish, so I had to stop on the way home. Made a quick rub of pepper, paprika, cajun seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and probably a couple other things from the spice rack.
Could you elaborate a bit on the spice rub? I would like to try it with (pan fried) sword-and other fish sometimes.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by mosburger
Could you elaborate a bit on the spice rub? I would like to try it with (pan fried) sword-and other fish sometimes.
I just grab things from my spice rack and mix them up in a small bowl. I find it is easier to distribute it over the meat by hand instead of trying to sprinkle from individual spice bottles. It was probably roughly equal parts of each spice, but I didn't measure so can't be sure. I did use too much salt, so I would probably skip that next time and salt afterwards if necessary.

Tonight will be chicken kabobs with Italian dressing marinade (because I'm lazy today), green/red peppers, vidalia onion and mushroom caps. After assembly on a skewer brush with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic pepper.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
A couple of thoughts:

1. Use a good quality dry rub (I use Emeril's Cajun seasoning. I make my own from the recipe on FoodTV & add some summer savory). This works on almost any type of meat, even fish.

2. Buy wood chips & smoke them in the bbq while grilling if the condo association will let you. There is no fire involved so it should be OK IMHO. The chips come in mesquite, alder, hickory, cherry & many other types, so choose whichever you like. Soak them in water beforehand so they smoke slowy to get the best flavor.

I use a LNG grill & the wood chips really make a difference.
Thanks for the input
Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by corky
If for some reason you can't use smoke chips, get some "liquid smoke". They sell it at the grocery usually near the ketchup, worcestshire or BBQ sauces. It comes in a little bottle & is VERY potent. You just need a few drops in your marinade to give a smoky flavor. My condolences on giving up the Weber.
My thanks to you too.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:19 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by Motor Mouth
"Done" is the kicker. I have used my charcoal chimney (about 3/4 full when supper hot).
You must watch Good Eats
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:03 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I just grab things from my spice rack and mix them up in a small bowl. I find it is easier to distribute it over the meat by hand instead of trying to sprinkle from individual spice bottles. It was probably roughly equal parts of each spice, but I didn't measure so can't be sure. I did use too much salt, so I would probably skip that next time and salt afterwards if necessary.

Tonight will be chicken kabobs with Italian dressing marinade (because I'm lazy today), green/red peppers, vidalia onion and mushroom caps. After assembly on a skewer brush with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic pepper.
Thanks a lot. I'm still learning about herbs and spices.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
One more: Make sure you turn the gas off when done cooking. Wasted 75% of a tank of propane last week.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
One more: Make sure you turn the gas off when done cooking. Wasted 75% of a tank of propane last week.
At least you had an end to that tank. Mine is hard plumbed into the natural gas line. My wife wondered what I was cooking for breakfast on the grill the next morning....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.