Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Grilling" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Grilling" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
...We saved about 100...
If you'd like to mail me some, some fish steaks and I could put them to good use

I used many of the tips on this thread for July 4
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=178

Yum.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Seems a good day for a bump

Any new grilling tips or success stories from your Fourth of July grilling?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Seems a good day for a bump

Any new grilling tips or success stories from your Fourth of July grilling?
Since it took me 7 years to get through one tank of LP, I'll think I'll pass, even though the tequilla-lime chicken was yummy.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:27 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by opus17
Since it took me 7 years to get through one tank of LP, I'll think I'll pass, even though the tequilla-lime chicken was yummy.
I use one a month
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Cleaning

Here is a good tip for cleaning the grill:

We have a NG Weber. After we finish with what we are grilling, we cover the grill with aluminum foil crank everything to high and close the grill. Wait about 10-12 minutes, come back turn everything off and throw the foil in the garbarge. Just scrape the remains with your simple brush. It works wonders!

I don't do this everytime I grill. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks depending on your use.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: AS/MVP, *Wood G
If you want to smoke meats, there is no need for a smoker. A Weber Kettle style grill works just fine (and uses less charcoal).

Make a small charcoal fire on one side of the grill. Add a few chunks of soked hickory/mesquite/apple wood. Place meat (pork/beef ribs, Italian sausage, pork loin, whole chickens, chicken leg quarters, whatever) on grill everywhere but over the the fire. Put a disposable aluminum drip pan under the meat with some wine, onion skins, and garlic skins in it. Turn the meat often, add wood chips and charcoal as necessary. If you want wet-style or KC style, begin basting meat with a good barbecue sauce to which you've added corn oil (or make your own) about halfway through the cooking process. If you want "dry style" make sure your smoking temperature is low and the your drip pan never dry, and put another pan of wine/skins/water directly over the fire.
I have the Kettle and a monster with the offset firebox. I like the Kettle better for many reasons, including the less charcoal thing. It is easier to control, easier to clean up, heats faster, takes up less room, etc. However, when grilling for the whole block, the monster is the only way to go! One thing about the Kettle, if you can find them (got mine at Home Depot), get the rails to keep the coals against the sides. They let you pile the coals up better to keep them buring (less/no straglers lying off by them selves).

One thing I have been doing with my pork ribs is spraying them directly with apple juice throughout the cooking time up until about 45 minutes prior to when I think they will be done. This allows the crust to dry out if going for dry and leaves enough time to let the sauce dig in a little if going KC. I tend to like more sauce on the side than cooked into the meat.

Make your own rubs. I have found some I like in store/online, but who knows how long they have been sitting around? I buy fresh spices in quantity I know I can use in a few months. Plus, I can easily tweak them for personal tastes.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by jfe
I use one a month
That is exactly why I converted my gasser to natural gas. It gets plenty hot for the things I cook on it.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:31 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by Motor Mouth
That is exactly why I converted my gasser to natural gas. It gets plenty hot for the things I cook on it.
I didn't want to take the chance of finding someone to hook up the natural gas line to my house. I've owned my grill over a year, and I finally found someone to do the electrical wiring for the built in lights
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:54 am

...One thing about the Kettle, if you can find them (got mine at Home Depot), get the rails to keep the coals against the sides. They let you pile the coals up better to keep them buring (less/no straglers lying off by them selves).
I just use a couple of bricks, or big lava rocks.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I find the best for cleaning the grill when you're done is to spray the grill (before adding the food) with olive oil! I previously used a spray like PAM, but the olive oil makes cleanup much easier!
Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you know if there is any way to tell if my grill can be converted from propane to natural gas? And who would I get to do it? I have no way of contacting the company that made the grill.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
For marinading - get a couple family packs of chicken or steaks, etc. and separate the meat into portions to fit whatever your needs are.

Prepare whatever your favorite marinade is, and combine the marinade and meat in zip-lock or even air seeled food storage bags. put into the freezer and then before work, just take out whatever you'd like, and as it thaws, the meat will be marinating and you'll have a nicely marinated piece of meat by the time you get home.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: US,HH
My favorite is rotisserie prime rib and it is super easy to make.

Take a spray bottle filled with water and spray the roast.
Sprinkle liberally with garlic powder. Don't use garlic salt it will be too salty.
Spray roast with water again and coat with crushed black pepper. Spray one more time and coat with rosemary.

You really need to put each of the 3 spices on pretty thick. It makes a great crust on the roast and the flavor goes all the way through.

The grill should be on high or around 450 or so. Put the roast on the rotisserie and spin away for 30 minutes. Turn the grill to low, it should be around 250 degrees. You may need to crack open the cover if the grill won't come down to this temp. Keep spinning away until internal temp reads 135 degrees for rare. How long this takes depending on the size of the roast, usually not more than an hour or so.

Let the prime rib sit for 20 to 30 minutes as it will continue to cook while sitting, raising another 5 degrees or so.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:24 am

I just use a couple of bricks, or big lava rocks.
I had a brick (yep, used the wrong kind) blow apart. Bought the rails after that, and I use them to stack my charcoal basket in my offset smoker (low standard grate gets suffocated by ash, the rails allow me to raise the coals, increase time before cleaning on a long smoke).

Lava rock, good idea!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by jfe
I didn't want to take the chance of finding someone to hook up the natural gas line to my house. I've owned my grill over a year, and I finally found someone to do the electrical wiring for the built in lights
My wife's good firend is married to a gas contractor. Cost me a phone call and a pizza. If I had to call and pay retail, I'd probably still do it.

Now I just need an electrician. Running the power for the rotis and lights is not difficult, just a hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.