Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Grilling" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:41 pm

Two words: Brick Chicken.

1) marinate boneless chicken breast

2) preheat grill

3) put brick on top of chicken while cooking (wimps (like me) will cover brick w/aluminum foil)

4) 5 - 7 minutes each side (YMMV based on grill temp)

5) Juiciest chix you ever had
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If you want to smoke meats, there is no need for a smoker. A Weber Kettle style grill works just fine (and uses less charcoal).

Make a small charcoal fire on one side of the grill. Add a few chunks of soked hickory/mesquite/apple wood. Place meat (pork/beef ribs, Italian sausage, pork loin, whole chickens, chicken leg quarters, whatever) on grill everywhere but over the the fire. Put a disposable aluminum drip pan under the meat with some wine, onion skins, and garlic skins in it. Turn the meat often, add wood chips and charcoal as necessary. If you want wet-style or KC style, begin basting meat with a good barbecue sauce to which you've added corn oil (or make your own) about halfway through the cooking process. If you want "dry style" make sure your smoking temperature is low and the your drip pan never dry, and put another pan of wine/skins/water directly over the fire.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:49 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Get a digital probe thermometer. An awesome tool to not over cook chicken or pork. Just grill until you reach the proper internal temperature. ^

(Alton Brown first turned me on to these)
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Bacon cooked over charcoal is incredibly good.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
grilling tips
Do not grill naked.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:51 pm

Grilled fish is yummy, done in foil its steamed not grilled. It cooks very fast. Salmon is my favorite.

You only need an many briquets as it takes to make a single layer over your briquet grate. Pile and light, spread before cooking.

I like to bake potatos on the grill, put them in then add the rest of your meal later so everything finishs together. They are perfect.

I've smoked cheese in my Weber Smokey Joe using indirect heat and hickory chips. Both Cheddar and Mozarella.

Try not to use too many wood chips or mesquite blocks when grilling, some neighbors don't like smoke going in their windows. They get very upset. That whole second hand smoke thing.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:55 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Cool

Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER
I guess I don't understand the 'searing unit' concept. Is it electric?
My grill has a searing unit, it's an infrared unit that heats it beyond of that the regular burner of what the burners can

http://www.lynxprofessionalgrills.com/prosear.php

Makes a nice crust sealing in all the juices
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:10 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
A great marinade

This marinade is the closest I've come to the teriyaki sirloins that were popular when I was growing up (late 70's, early 80's). Some pointers:
  • The recipe as-is makes a lot so you can halve the portions;
  • Set some marinade aside BEFORE putting the meat in so you can dip later;and
  • The longer you marinade, the better. I try for 24 hours at least.

Enjoy:

3.5 C. Pineapple Juice
1 C. Soy Sauce
1 C. Dry Sherry
1/2 C. Red Wine Vinegar
3/4 C. Sugar
2 tsp. Garlic, minced fine
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:55 pm

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
Don't be afraid to grill fruit. Pineapple and peaches are just a few that we enjoy at our house.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:16 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Make good use of that cover! It keeps the inside of the grill much hotter and you'll get a furter convection this way. I grill nearly everything covered.
I hope don't cover your steaks! What a waste of a good piece of meat!!

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
That is excellent advice. I can't stand when my wife brings home 95% lean ground beef for burgers. Even 90%.

85% is a happy medium... enough fat for flavor and moist burgers, but not so much that flare ups are a major problem.
What most people don't realize is that 90-95% lean is just a bill of goods. Most of the fat in less-lean grinds will escape upon cooking anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:35 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
OK, this has been a very interesting thread...so far

Do you mean grilling or do you mean BBQ?

BBQ is the process of cooking low & slow. Cooking brisket, ribs, chicken, etc. over many hours, produces phenomenal results. I find 8-10 hours for brisket, 4-6 hours for ribs & 3-4 hours for chicken to work best. Use smoke of your favorite wood (hickory, mesquite, cherry, etc.) early in the process. You will want to soak the chips in water for a couple of hours before adding them to the grill. Grilling allows your to add sauce many times later in the cooking to ad more flavor. Cooking longer can increase the taste. It's up to individual preference.

A temperature of 200 degrees F is about right. Low temperature is the key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grilling is cooking food fast. High heat & a short cooking time. This is best for steaks, fish, dogs, burger, brats, etc. Anything you want to cook (and consume) fast.

Both have their place & both produce excellent results, although they are quite different.

Bottom line...do what tastes best to you. We're all different.

YMMV ^ :-: :-:
Old Jun 29, 2006, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
...Do you mean grilling or do you mean BBQ?...
Sadly, in the San Francisco Bay area, these tend to get used as synonyms.

The horror, the horror.

All of your tips are right-on ^
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:33 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOB W

Do you mean grilling or do you mean BBQ?

BBQ is the process of cooking low & slow.

Grilling is cooking food fast. High heat & a short cooking time.
AMEN ! ^
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I don't understand the 'searing unit' concept. Is it electric? How is it different than my method - heat the grill on high to burn off excess 'stuff', clean/scrape, then throw the meat on for a good sear, then turn the heat down for final cooking?

I guess I could also just heat up my cast iron skillet, sear the meat, then throw it on the grill.

Please explain.
The searing unit use to only be an option on very high end grills (3-4k) as it had a patent which recently expired. The key is they burn HOT...MUCH MUCH hotter then the flames in your grill so they trap the juices much better.

Its the same principal as heating up the grill on high just more effective.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't understand the foil-pack method for grilling fish or vegs. Why bother? Just cook it in the oven or on the cooktop.

Why bother? I'd much rather be out on the patio cooking then inside. And it may be just my mind but it still tastes better when on the grill (must be those left over wood chips in there)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.