Search

Consolidated "Grilling" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:21 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by jfe
...I finally found someone to do the electrical wiring for the built in lights
That thing had lights? Man, I thought it was pretty nice before, but that's da bomb.

But, I'm still a charcoal and work light kind of guy.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 15, 2007, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't ever let Hank Hill know you are choosing charcoal over propane for your grill........I tell you what!

That's my 2c tip.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 9:52 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Cool

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
That thing had lights? Man, I thought it was pretty nice before, but that's da bomb.
It has really nice led blue lights that illuminate the knobs, and a single light inside the grill, which works very nice
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Interesting in that PAM is olive oil in aerosol form...!

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I find the best for cleaning the grill when you're done is to spray the grill (before adding the food) with olive oil! I previously used a spray like PAM, but the olive oil makes cleanup much easier!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Olive oil IMO also adds better flavor than PAM.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:56 pm

Question Moving to a Condo; Have to give up my Weber Gas Grill; What Now?

What might you seasoned veteran grillers suggest if you didn't have a gas grill. We're moving to a condo apartment and unfortunately won't be able to use a gas grill. My only option is an electric grill which can't possibly be as good for burgers, steaks, chicken, and ribs as my old Weber. Can any of you make some suggestions as to how to come close to the gas grill taste using an electric one? Also, if I may ask, any suggestions as to what you might be recommend? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by XFed2001
What might you seasoned veteran grillers suggest if you didn't have a gas grill. We're moving to a condo apartment and unfortunately won't be able to use a gas grill. My only option is an electric grill which can't possibly be as good for burgers, steaks, chicken, and ribs as my old Weber. Can any of you make some suggestions as to how to come close to the gas grill taste using an electric one? Also, if I may ask, any suggestions as to what you might be recommend? Thanks in advance.
A couple of thoughts:

1. Use a good quality dry rub (I use Emeril's Cajun seasoning. I make my own from the recipe on FoodTV & add some summer savory). This works on almost any type of meat, even fish.

2. Buy wood chips & smoke them in the bbq while grilling if the condo association will let you. There is no fire involved so it should be OK IMHO. The chips come in mesquite, alder, hickory, cherry & many other types, so choose whichever you like. Soak them in water beforehand so they smoke slowy to get the best flavor.

I use a LNG grill & the wood chips really make a difference.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Made "beer can chicken" on my WEBER and it was the best chicken I Have ever cooked/tasted/eaten before. Juicy/moist with the right touch of seasonings....

For all you that do not know what beer can chicken is, here goes:

1 full chicken (or cornish hen)
1 6pack dark beer (for cornish hen, get RedBull can, dump red bull, pour in dark beer 3/4 of the way)

rub the bird with olive oil -- get a good coating
dry rub marinade in a plastic bag with whatever you like for 2-3 hrs

pop open beer can, take a good swig and then set it aside. Pour same dry rub into beer can

Slide chicken butt first over the can and place in in aluminum tray (for easier cleaning) and place it in the middle of grill..

cook until thigh juices run clear....drink 5 other beers or more!!!!

Pull off grill and slowly slide chicken off beer can. Throw the beer can and aluminun foil in recycle bin.

ENJOY !!!
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by XFed2001
If for some reason you can't use smoke chips, get some "liquid smoke". They sell it at the grocery usually near the ketchup, worcestshire or BBQ sauces. It comes in a little bottle & is VERY potent. You just need a few drops in your marinade to give a smoky flavor. My condolences on giving up the Weber.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anaggie
Made "beer can chicken" on my WEBER and it was the best chicken I Have ever cooked/tasted/eaten before. Juicy/moist with the right touch of seasonings....

1 6pack dark beer (for cornish hen, get RedBull can, dump red bull, pour in dark beer 3/4 of the way)

pop open beer can, take a good swig and then set it aside. Pour same dry rub into beer can

Slide chicken butt first over the can and place in in aluminum tray (for easier cleaning) and place it in the middle of grill..

Pull off grill and slowly slide chicken off beer can. Throw the beer can and aluminun foil in recycle bin.

ENJOY !!!
Seems a lot easier to pick up one of those cooked chickens from the local grocery store and a 6-pack.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:12 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tomorrow I am going to have an 18 ounce boneless ribeye

Just garlic, salt and pepper, medium rare
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfe
Tomorrow I am going to have an 18 ounce boneless ribeye

Just garlic, salt and pepper, medium rare
And...how was it??
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:02 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UNITED959
And...how was it??
Perfect

I added a little bit of basil butter on top of it

Old Aug 9, 2007, 4:24 am

ENJOY !!!
Thanks for receipe and tips I will try it !
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

..cook until thigh juices run clear....drink 5 other beers or more!!!!

How much beer should we leave in the can before we add the dry rub? Just like one big gulp? Also, what heat should we cook this on med-high? How long does it take for the juices to run clear, 2 hours or so?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.