What's for dinner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:39 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Dinner last night was another batch of Atlantic ling that I caught, prepared as fish tacos.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
seafood Saturday??
Sort of. Cold Asian noodle salad with shrimp - but made at home.

Zazie is one of the few ZERO TIP restaurants in Sf where one cannot tip.
How does this make you feel? Weird not to tip? I'd love to see all restaurants move to no tipping. At places here like Alinea or Next, one buys a ticket that's all-inclusive, so your tip is included in the ticket price. But until more restaurants get there, the non-ticket restaurants that are no-tip still feel strange to me. I have to fight the urge to leave a little extra in cash on the table after I pay the check.

Tonight, my wife is having a couple friends over. I reluctantly agreed to pick up Greek food from one of our local favorites, since they don't deliver. I'm craving gyros now but that might change by this evening .
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Rather eclectic meal including :

Grass fed New Zealand beef , Maine lobster brioche , potato purée , baby Chinese vegetables .. photo of main taken after the steak was consumed along with half of the brioche

Dollop of potato purée , vegetables and part of the Four Seasons Hotel lobster brioche

Blackthorn durian ice cream
Old Jun 28, 2021, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
grilled chicken thighs (Brazil lover style - 40 minutes on grill, turned over 4-5 times)
bbq sauce on the side
Baked potato
roasted beets / carrots
raw organic vegetables

Originally Posted by JBord

How does this make you feel? Weird not to tip? I'd love to see all restaurants move to no tipping. At places here like Alinea or Next, one buys a ticket that's all-inclusive, so your tip is included in the ticket price. But until more restaurants get there, the non-ticket restaurants that are no-tip still feel strange to me. I have to fight the urge to leave a little extra in cash on the table after I pay the check...
Omg I love no-tip places. Or the Michelin places that have a flat 20-22% tip. Saison Sf was 20 and Singlethread healdsburg was 22.
I always otherwise overtip because it’s just brutal business which is why I’m so happy to reduce restaurants in my life. So zero-tip places are perfect for me.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
So zero-tip places are perfect for me.
Oh, me too. I want them badly. Show me what I'll pay in full before I order. I'm just not 100% comfortable with them yet, unless the meal is all paid for in advance, including tip. And I don't care what they include for the tip in their prices, because I can make an informed choice before I even decide to eat there. Competition will keep prices fair.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Burgers and roasted brussels sprouts. Nice simple summer dinner.
corky and JBord like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Omg braslvr grilled chicken thigh tip for the win. 40-45 minutes at LOW with 4-5 turns on the grill. Maybe it took longer than the 40 minutes they mentioned because I brined the thighs and surely didn’t perfectly dry them. Plus at one turn, I discovered that there was zero flame so I restarted the grill :-)

omg omg I love braslvr cooking tip. I learn so much here. My family asked me “what’s Brazil lover’s real name” so I responded “b r a s l v r” :-)

grilled chicken thighs (braslvr)
Baked potatoes
roasted carrots
raw carrots & cucumbers
sautéed beet greens

roasted beets (not eaten - too full but they’ll be a future salad!)

maybe sugar dessert

Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Omg braslvr grilled chicken thigh tip for the win. 40-45 minutes at LOW with 4-5 turns on the grill. Maybe it took longer than the 40 minutes they mentioned because I brined the thighs and surely didn’t perfectly dry them. Plus at one turn, I discovered that there was zero flame so I restarted the grill :-)

omg omg I love braslvr cooking tip. I learn so much here. My family asked me “what’s Brazil lover’s real name” so I responded “b r a s l v r” :-)

grilled chicken thighs (braslvr)
Baked potatoes
roasted carrots
raw carrots & cucumbers
sautéed beet greens

roasted beets (not eaten - too full but they’ll be a future salad!)

maybe sugar dessert

Thanks, glad you liked them. All grills are a bit different and I'm thinking your "low" is a tad lower than mine. 40 minutes on my grill at low yields a definitely darker skin which I like. For me, on your grill, I would try bumping it up to between low and med next time.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
Thanks, glad you liked them. All grills are a bit different and I'm thinking your "low" is a tad lower than mine. 40 minutes on my grill at low yields a definitely darker skin which I like. For me, on your grill, I would try bumping it up to between low and med next time.
thank you!
this was so delicious that I didn’t use much of the Korean bbq sauce I stirred up. Our child ate two thighs with zero sauce.
it’s really nice to now know that I can eat bbq sauce from the jar without needing to cook it. I never realized that it’s a condiment like ketchup or mustard.
I really want to cook these again and sooner than later. Mega yum. Omg.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Cast iron-seared salmon filet over black lentils mixed with sauteed leek, onions, carrots, and celery. Vibrant and healthful.
corky and bensyd like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Trend for the day .. somewhat German

Add more photos later ..

Bratwurst and veal chipolatas

French beans with egg

Veal sausage omelettes

2 attempts with the omelette

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 30, 2021 at 8:28 am
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My moms book club at NOVY, San Francisco CA

assorted mediterranean appetizers for table:
olives & feta
spanikopita
brussels sprouts with bacon

main:
lamb gyro with fries
2 fort point 6.3% villager ipa

dessert:
Easy Breezy froyo
tart nonfat
chocolate custard FULLFAT

I walked the 5,500 steps from home to supper. I got a ride home from another mom in their blue Tesla
I’m so wasted

Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
My moms book club at NOVY, San Francisco CA

assorted mediterranean appetizers for table:
olives & feta
spanikopita
brussels sprouts with bacon

main:
lamb gyro with fries
2 fort point 6.3% villager ipa

dessert:
Easy Breezy froyo
tart nonfat
chocolate custard FULLFAT

I walked the 5,500 steps from home to supper. I got a ride home from another mom in their blue Tesla
I’m so wasted

Now those are some nice looking fries! The gyro looks good too.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Georgia — but not really Georgia — peach cobbler, recipe courtesy Chicago: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...215-story.html
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
Now those are some nice looking fries! The gyro looks good too.
it’s the restaurant that once was pasta pomodoro location in noe valley before the neighborhood became mega popular. During the 80s & 90s I barely knew it and pre-pandemic I was coming there frequently each week.
the food is delicious and fries uber crisp. Love them so much. That said, I last ate there on january 17 2020 with my spouse. Carnt say why we’ve yet to return because I normally would get the chicken gyro. Now that I’ve grilled thighs ala braslvr, I’m not sure if I would ever need to order chicken at any local restaurant for the rest of my life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.