Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Maybe you can explain it to me, but I've never seen the appeal for chap chye. To me, it's just over-boiled cabbage/glass noodles/few other ingredients. Am I missing something?
Ordered in Bangkok (little bit upriver from the Millennium Hilton), it was assorted offal. Never acquired the taste for a lot of Chinese dishes (despite having a Nonya grandmother).
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Maybe you can explain it to me, but I've never seen the appeal for chap chye. To me, it's just over-boiled cabbage/glass noodles/few other ingredients. Am I missing something?
You probably were served a watered down version ? Not by a Peranakan , likely pseudo chap chye which arguably is way better than chop suey
A real pity as the stock should be rich & thick . We add pork ribs & prawns to have a even fuller robust soup . Should not be over boiled ‼️ but tender .
One look at the dish , we know whether to bother to try it .
Peranakan cooking takes skill , very intricate & laborious - wait till a bibik gets at you . If potential mother in law asks you to cook for her , likely sleepless nights .
The one we had was lemak which means we added coconut milk & other spices - more like perhaps a Nonya laksa gravy

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 7, 2021 at 4:08 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shared July birthday dinner with a friend at Eddie V's. It was a personal best--the most I have ever paid for a restaurant meal (not compared to some of you).lol
Cosmopolitans
Shared filet mignon
Double lobster tails

potatoes au gratin. Sauteed spinach
Flambe Bananas Foster Butter Cake
Austin Hope Paso Robles Cabernet

Last edited by corky; Jul 7, 2021 at 11:19 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We still have a fridge full of leftovers, so tonight it’s a choice of sliced cold Turkey breast or a hot dog on a bun. There’s a half watermelon leftover from Monday and I’ll probably grill asparagus on the side.

With that cleaned out, I’m thinking of grilling a pork loin tomorrow, with mashed potatoes and broccoli on the side. Seasoning for the pork still undecided, but I need to trim the rosemary and have enough garlic to stuff the roast.
wrp96 and JBord like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Leftovers from last night's taco salad as ground beef tacos on flour tortillas tonight.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
You probably were served a watered down version ? Not by a Peranakan , likely pseudo chap chye which arguably is way better than chop suey
A real pity as the stock should be rich & thick . We add pork ribs & prawns to have a even fuller robust soup . Should not be over boiled ‼️ but tender .
One look at the dish , we know whether to bother to try it .
Peranakan cooking takes skill , very intricate & laborious - wait till a bibik gets at you . If potential mother in law asks you to cook for her , likely sleepless nights .
The one we had was lemak which means we added coconut milk & other spices - more like perhaps a Nonya laksa gravy
I don't think so. Granted I've never had nonya chap chye. But chap chye has never appealed to me. Neither has economic bee hoon. I'm all for thick stocks (well, as long as it's not pigs or chicken feet/hock, those don't appeal to me either). I love me a good thick laksa soup (although next trip there I want to see what laksa pasta is all about... it's been showing up in a few food shows in the last year or so). That and a few other things...

Victor's Veggie satay and otak (friends like it)
A good rojak
Orluak
Hokkien Mee

(Taking suggestions)

I'd try to make rojak here but can't find any hae ko in Toronto (trust me, I've tried). Maybe I'll make orluak... At least I can get the ingredients here.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:38 pm

I don't think so. Granted I've never had nonya chap chye. But chap chye has never appealed to me. Neither has economic bee hoon. I'm all for thick stocks (well, as long as it's not pigs or chicken feet/hock, those don't appeal to me either). I love me a good thick laksa soup (although next trip there I want to see what laksa pasta is all about... it's been showing up in a few food shows in the last year or so). That and a few other things...

Victor's Veggie satay and otak (friends like it)
A good rojak
Orluak
Hokkien Mee

(Taking suggestions)

I'd try to make rojak here but can't find any hae ko in Toronto (trust me, I've tried). Maybe I'll make orluak... At least I can get the ingredients here.

Perhaps pm me , & will not confuse other folks who have no inkling what we are on about 😂 ; though should not connect you with relatives & friends in Toronto as they are not on FT
Or come for the Singapore DO in January

We had a poh piah ( take out “ do / wrap it “ yourself and roast chicken from Spring Court ) party ‼️

The poh piah skins / wraps & some of the fillings

Some other ingredients

The condiments and home made fried wantons

How the poh piah should look before consumption

Roast chicken , keropok & Nonya chap chye lemak

Wanton soup with baby kai lan

Putu piring cake

The cake slices showing the gula melaka

More photos , possibly , later .. added

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 14, 2021 at 3:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Dinner at the bar with our local pub. Our favorite servers/bartenders were supervising new hires so we all got to spend time chatting. Only two others sitting inside -- one bought drinks for Mr CE because he was playing Grateful Dead on the jukebox. (Whenever anyone asks the staff who is playing stuff on the jukebox, they always look to see if we're there, because we play great music.) They other guy walked in wearing a Lightenings jersey and asked if they were planning to put the game on. (Mr CE was born and raised in Montreal.) We have him grief but he was cool.

Fried cheese curds
Sausage, green pepper and onion pizza for him

Dill pickle, ham and bacon pizza for me
Bourbon for him

Beers for me (Side Door sour, Maplewood NEIPA)
corky, wrp96 and JBord like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Perhaps pm me , & will not confuse other folks who have no inkling what we are on about 😂 ; though should not connect you with relatives & friends in Toronto as they are not on FT
Or come for the Singapore DO in January
I think these posts are great! Please keep the discussion going :-)
I don’t cook much Singapore / Malay food and I love the Chinese food & bbq threads; I learned much about baking last year, even if I’m barely baking now.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Dinner at the bar with our local pub. Our favorite servers/bartenders were supervising new hires so we all got to spend time chatting. Only two others sitting inside -- one bought drinks for Mr CE because he was playing Grateful Dead on the jukebox. (Whenever anyone asks the staff who is playing stuff on the jukebox, they always look to see if we're there, because we play great music.) They other guy walked in wearing a Lightenings jersey and asked if they were planning to put the game on. (Mr CE was born and raised in Montreal.) We have him grief but he was cool.

Fried cheese curds
Sausage, green pepper and onion pizza for him

Dill pickle, ham and bacon pizza for me
Bourbon for him

Beers for me (Side Door sour, Maplewood NEIPA)
Your pizza sounds great! Mr. CE's...not so much.
Finkface likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Spaghetti with Rao’s marinara & ks meatballs
spaghetti with pecorino; Ks meatballs
artichoke

Gayles cookies for dessert
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by corky
Your pizza sounds great! Mr. CE's...not so much.
It was only a mushroom away from Chicago's iconic tavern pizza! You can't fault someone for going with a classic. But I'm still thinking about whether I could drink a bourbon with pizza. Mixed with a Coke maybe. IMO, the two beverages that go best with pizza are Coke and beer.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:10 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
It was only a mushroom away from Chicago's iconic tavern pizza! You can't fault someone for going with a classic. But I'm still thinking about whether I could drink a bourbon with pizza. Mixed with a Coke maybe. IMO, the two beverages that go best with pizza are Coke and beer.
It's entirely possible that it had mushroom on it as well -- I can't eat bell peppers, so I never pay too much attention to the exact toppings on his pizza. This one is supposed to be an Impossible Sausage pizza, but they make it "possible" for him.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
It's entirely possible that it had mushroom on it as well -- I can't eat bell peppers, so I never pay too much attention to the exact toppings on his pizza. This one is supposed to be an Impossible Sausage pizza, but they make it "possible" for him.
Lol...I think I've written it before, but Mr. CE sounds like my kind of guy!
chgoeditor likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
I think these posts are great! Please keep the discussion going :-)
I don’t cook much Singapore / Malay food and I love the Chinese food & bbq threads; I learned much about baking last year, even if I’m barely baking now.
Sure , gaobest , will try . At least you cook .. my forte is eating
Discovered this forum last year , possibly during the throes of the pandemic when travel was curtailed . Very pleased that this forum exists !

Think FT ‘ s systems improved or my ability to figure out how to post photos too .
Trying to recall if I posted the kueh bingka with cheese photo - & if I did , which thread ?? Sort this out in a few hours .
Added photo ( s ) to this 👇🏻 post 5143 :
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33386414-post5143.html

Had some of what we might have forgotten to serve other night , from Habibi -San ‘ s , & some of the extra dessert from Chalkfarm .
Modern new twist to kueh bingka ( tapioca cake )

Habibi -San ‘ s Magra Lamb

Truffle brie

Kueh bingka with cheese topping

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 14, 2021 at 3:42 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.