Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I was wrong, the wagyu is for another night. As for the fries, I will follow the directions on the back of the bag.
I have discovered (thanks to my neighbor telling me) that the key to crispy tater tots (and I assume fries) is to buy the ones labeled "extra crispy". I never noticed them before.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have discovered (thanks to my neighbor telling me) that the key to crispy tater tots (and I assume fries) is to buy the ones labeled "extra crispy". I never noticed them before.
Thanks for the tip. Deeper coating of oil? I’ve tried leaving the regular ones in the oven longer but they’re only marginally crisper.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Thanks for the tip. Deeper coating of oil? I’ve tried leaving the regular ones in the oven longer but they’re only marginally crisper.
I don't know what they do to them, but the "extra crispy" ones really are extra crispy.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I don't know what they do to them, but the "extra crispy" ones really are extra crispy.
Not sure if tots are the same, but frozen fries usually come with directions for the oven or to fry in oil. A couple years ago my oven was broken, so I tried using vegetable oil in a stainless steel pan on the stovetop. They were super crispy and not oily at all. I think it's kind of the same effect as double-frying, even though the second fry is direct from frozen. I've never achieved the same crispiness in the oven, even with the extra crispy.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
My keys to achieving crispy fried foods:
1) Invest in a good thermometer to measure/regulate oil temps.
2) Don’t overcrowd your pan or deep fryer. This is the biggest mistake most folks make. Adding more chicken/shrimp etc screws up the oil ambient temperature.
3) For all foods, don’t disturb them while frying!
4) Double dip. Start off with your flour mixture. Then dip into your egg/milk wash. Then dip in your flour mixture.
5) Speaking of flour mixture, my other ingredients vary based upon the taste that I want to achieve, and total cooking time. Shrimp cooks quickly. So, I gravitate towards panko breadcrumbs. Mainly because panko burns easily. Chicken takes longer to fry. Italian seasoned breadcrumbs or corn meal ( or a combo) works well.
I hope that this helps!
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:22 pm

Grilled chicken thighs marinated in a lime-jalapeno-cilantro-chipotle mix. Either beans or salad on the side.
There's a chance this turns into tacos in the next two hours when I start the grill.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turkey burgers on the grill, baked beans and Pringles. For the grandchildren.
JBord likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
We were lazy today... Rotisserie chicken and corn on the cob.
corky and JBord like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I was supposed to go out with a friend, but she canceled at the last minute. Honestly, I'm not upset, other than I had to scramble to figure out what I was getting for dinner. I ended up picking up Qdoba simply because it was easy and I haven't had it in months.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A BIG (Elaine Benes type) pink salad. Pink because I made a vinaigrette from fresh strawberries and I also added pickled red onions I made on Sunday and those are bright pink.
BamaVol and JBord like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Home smoked 11 hours pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw. Photo taken at about 8 hours.
estnet, corky, work2fly and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
A BIG (Elaine Benes type) pink salad. Pink because I made a vinaigrette from fresh strawberries and I also added pickled red onions I made on Sunday and those are bright pink.
Do you have a recipe for your strawberry vinaigrette? I’d like to try one.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have a recipe for your strawberry vinaigrette? I’d like to try one.
Not really a recipe but in the blender I tossed about 6 ripe strawberries, maybe 1 tbs honey, a couple tbs apple cider vinegar, and blended it well. Salt & pepper. With blender running I slowly added about 5-6 tbs olive oil. All to taste. I felt mine was a little tart so maybe I would use a different, milder vinegar ....maybe white balsamic.
It was pinker...don't know why it didn't photograph right.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:27 am

Turkey burgers on the grill, baked beans and Pringles. For the grandchildren.
Second sentence unnecessary, I would have enjoyed that meal!

Originally Posted by corky
That's an interesting combo, I wouldn't have thought the strawberries and onions would play nice together.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
That's an interesting combo, I wouldn't have thought the strawberries and onions would play nice together.
The red onions are super mild when pickled. Salad also had blue cheese, dried cranberries and slivered almonds.
One of my favorite combos is spinach salad with raspberry dressing and that has bacon and red onions. There I think the raw red onions can be a bit harsh unlike pickled ones.
estnet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.