Grllled flank steak with chimichurri and cumin aïoli
accompanied by
grilled local asparagus
Poutine.

corky, BamaVol and JBord like this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

Dinner at Mammoth Oak Brewery. Brisket tacos and fries, chopped brisket, bbq chicken breast, corn bread, slaw, beans. Hazy IPA all the way from Destihl in Normal, IL.
corky and JBord like this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by BamaVol

Dinner at Mammoth Oak Brewery. Brisket tacos and fries, chopped brisket, bbq chicken breast, corn bread, slaw, beans. Hazy IPA all the way from Destihl in Normal, IL.
Gorgeous. I’m surprised that the brewery offers beer from other places because I assume they only offer their own offerings.
we are lucky to live in a time of more choice for brewery and spirits. I don’t miss the days of cans and bottles at all; I refuse to buy and non-draft beer at a bar or restaurant when I can buy so many choices of beer at a chain supermarket.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Gorgeous. I’m surprised that the brewery offers beer from other places because I assume they only offer their own offerings.
we are lucky to live in a time of more choice for brewery and spirits. I don’t miss the days of cans and bottles at all; I refuse to buy and non-draft beer at a bar or restaurant when I can buy so many choices of beer at a chain supermarket.
It’s called a guest tap and it’s pretty common at breweries I visit.
JBord likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grilled cheese / tomato / salami on sourdough
mixed green salad

dessert - organic cherries and cookies
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Last night - teriyaki marinated tuna steaks and broccolini on the grill. Rice noodles tossed in homemade spicy peanut sauce. A little too much wine. Beautiful weather all weekend, so we watched the Cubs game outside on the patio and then got the grill going.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
It’s called a guest tap and it’s pretty common at breweries I visit.
Exactly. It's fairly common at many breweries and is a nice way to support other breweries.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Last night grilled some sirloin steaks and brussels sprouts, luckily just before the rain hit. Tonight's dinner will be Brats and a green salad.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Exactly. It's fairly common at many breweries and is a nice way to support other breweries.
Mammoth Oak is a small brewery that opened during the pandemic. Guest taps were 50% of the tap array, although on a previous trip were maybe 20%. I figure a start up operation needs a few backup kegs in case something isn’t ready on schedule. And as you say, at most places it’s a way of introducing customers to something they haven’t encountered before and might want to explore. I saw something similar at Salty Oak ( no relation) in Panama City when they were just getting started. Gradually I expect fewer guest taps and more home grown product. But all but the largest seem to have guest taps. I saw none at Sierra Nevada or Abita breweries for example.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:59 pm

Tonight - grilled pepperoni and onion pizza - sorry Corky no pickles. Side salad.

Anyone here have good ideas for seasoning a rib roast (choice not prime if it matters)? One of these days soon I'm going to sous vide the one in my freezer and then probably sear quickly on the grill. But I've only helped someone with an oven-baked rib roast before, never made one on my own.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
Tonight - grilled pepperoni and onion pizza - sorry Corky no pickles. Side salad.

Anyone here have good ideas for seasoning a rib roast (choice not prime if it matters)? One of these days soon I'm going to sous vide the one in my freezer and then probably sear quickly on the grill. But I've only helped someone with an oven-baked rib roast before, never made one on my own.
IMO, a rib roast is such a tasty piece of meat that it needs very little seasoning beyond salt & pepper. I sometimes make slits and stick pieces of garlic in them. Thyme goes well with beef too so maybe rub a little of that on the outside. The smoky flavor from the grill plus the beef will be so good!
Are you too chicken to try some pickles on a little slice? What about honey?
estnet, wrp96 and JBord like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grilled chicken thighs - the bbq sauce probably evaporated in the grill so I need to check our grilling book to better master chicken thighs incl skin. Tasty but the Korean style wasn’t spicy and tasted similar to the bbq style.
baked potato with toppings
sautéed onions with Marsala cooking wine
roasted carrots
raw carrots & celery

Rainier cherries
Girl Scout cookies
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
I cooked my 20th meal out of In Bibi's Kitchen, the great majority of which were big hits. The only issue I have with this East African cuisine cookbook is more than once it suggested adding water to a pots with hot oil!

Switching gears, I have Ina Garten's recipes lined up for the next week+.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by corky
IMO, a rib roast is such a tasty piece of meat that it needs very little seasoning beyond salt & pepper. I sometimes make slits and stick pieces of garlic in them. Thyme goes well with beef too so maybe rub a little of that on the outside. The smoky flavor from the grill plus the beef will be so good!
Are you too chicken to try some pickles on a little slice? What about honey?
Thanks for the ideas! I'll take the advice on keeping it simple. I wonder if garlic would dissolve in a sous vide for 6-7 hours? That might be amazing, so may give that a try.

I've tried honey on a pizza, I don't like it. I HAVE had pickles on a cheeseburger pizza I've made. I'm not against it. I just didn't think it worked on this pizza. And probably no way my wife would have eaten it.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
Thanks for the ideas! I'll take the advice on keeping it simple. I wonder if garlic would dissolve in a sous vide for 6-7 hours? That might be amazing, so may give that a try.

I've tried honey on a pizza, I don't like it. I HAVE had pickles on a cheeseburger pizza I've made. I'm not against it. I just didn't think it worked on this pizza. And probably no way my wife would have eaten it.
I don't think garlic will ever dissolve, but it will soften to a paste and some of the garlicky flavor will probably dissolve. I wonder if garlic flavor compounds are more fat- or water-soluble.
I am not a fan of honey on pizza either but there is a pizza around here (I forget specifics) that includes spicy honey and it's really good.

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I cooked my 20th meal out of In Bibi's Kitchen, the great majority of which were big hits. The only issue I have with this East African cuisine cookbook is more than once it suggested adding water to a pots with hot oil!
I just ordered this cookbook. I'm sure I will leaf through the pretty pictures and cook maybe one thing from it, as I do from just about all cookbooks I buy...

Incidentally, speaking of African food check out the Netflix documentary High on the Hog, about the African roots of US soul food.
corky likes this.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Jun 9, 2021 at 9:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.