Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
red onions sautéed in Gruet sparkling white
Tell me more about this please. I've pickled red onions for tacos but never sauteed in wine. Are you cooking in oil or butter then adding the wine and letting it cook off?
What is the resulting flavor?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Hard or Soft Shells? I love the Dinosaur tortilla holders.
Amazon! For Christmas one year, I sent my sister dinosaur taco holders and Nessie ladles/spoons/pasta servers.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Hard or Soft Shells? I love the Dinosaur tortilla holders.
Both! Thank you. They’re SO CUTE
i reheated 4 hard shells in the toaster oven at Warm.
I heated 3 soft flour tortillas.
my spouse and I ate hard. The lovebirds ate soft.

Originally Posted by JBord
Tell me more about this please. I've pickled red onions for tacos but never sauteed in wine. Are you cooking in oil or butter then adding the wine and letting it cook off?
What is the resulting flavor?
I cook the red onions in olive oil & some salt. Then (after they’re nearly fully cooked) I add the old chilled wine. And indeed I let it cook off.

Old because the bottle sat in our cabinet for over a decade and in another cabinet for longer. Chilled because I opened it a month or 2 ago for cooking and then I put it in the fridge, using it periodically for more cooking.
it tastes great and I use this method for cooking any onions. Maybe a newer wine would be better. I eat the onions as part of the meal and I rarely eat the onions on their own. I definitely sauté onions when grilling steak.

Last edited by gaobest; Jun 3, 2021 at 11:09 am
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest

I cook the red onions in olive oil & some salt. Then (after they’re nearly fully cooked) I add the old chilled wine. And indeed I let it cook off.

Old because the bottle sat in our cabinet for over a decade and in another cabinet for longer. Chilled because I opened it a month or 2 ago for cooking and then I put it in the fridge, using it periodically for more cooking.
it tastes great and I use this method for cooking any onions. Maybe a newer wine would be better. I eat the onions as part of the meal and I rarely eat the onions on their own. I definitely sauté onions when grilling steak.
I think the question remains why are you using the wine at all. Most people just saute the onions in oil and are done with it. Considering that you have said that you don't like the flavor of wine, why are you adding the wine step (especially since a wine that has been open for a couple months likely tastes more like vinegar than wine)? Just add a splash of vinegar if that is what you are going for.
phillygold likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky
I think the question remains why are you using the wine at all. Most people just saute the onions in oil and are done with it. Considering that you have said that you don't like the flavor of wine, why are you adding the wine step (especially since a wine that has been open for a couple months likely tastes more like vinegar than wine)? Just add a splash of vinegar if that is what you are going for.
My thought too, is this really just a white wine vinegar?
But I don't have a problem with it if it's just a way to add some acid rather than throwing away a bad wine. I was just trying to figure out the flavor, and I suspect it's kind of like a less-potent, faux-pickled onion. I'd probably try using it as the pickling liquid and skip the sauté step. But that usually requires at least a few hours to soak in.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
When I caramelize onions, I add a splash of red wine vinegar which sounds similar.
BamaVol likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t dislike the taste of wine. I love wine. Drink it socially on a regular basis - I think I had a glass in February??

Originally Posted by JBord
My thought too, is this really just a white wine vinegar?
But I don't have a problem with it if it's just a way to add some acid rather than throwing away a bad wine. I was just trying to figure out the flavor, and I suspect it's kind of like a less-potent, faux-pickled onion. I'd probably try using it as the pickling liquid and skip the sauté step. But that usually requires at least a few hours to soak in.
i used sparkling white wine from GRUET (New Mexico) - I’m sure it’s become a vinegar by now.
the pickling sounds good.
if I ever use up my existing wine inventory, I promise you that I won’t be buying more wine to use for cooking. In fact I prefer to not buy any wine!

Originally Posted by wrp96
When I caramelize onions, I add a splash of red wine vinegar which sounds similar.
That sounds great. I use red wine vinegar for my beloved oil & vinegar salad dressing!!!!!
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:24 pm

This. Why add wine, and if you are adding wine, why add really old wine?
corky likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
This. Why add wine, and if you are adding wine, why add really old wine?
If he’s like me, it’s because he’s too frugal to throw something away.
JBord likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Plus what else do I do with that wine? Maybe one day I do a taste test of sautéed onions. With and without wine.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I sat at the bar of my local pub and ate dinner for the first time in 15 months!! Such a nice change that we weren't even annoyed the jukebox was broken. Goat cheese, mushroom and caramelized onion pizza for the win.

(We had to show our vcard to eat inside.)
corky, Yahillwe and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Tonight, I didn't feel like cooking on my day off after I finally got my first shot of the Moderna Vaccine. My wife said let's have Chinese, and was told get Shrimp W/Lobster Sauce. Well, I know she really doesn't like Shrimp, so I actually got Seafood S'oong, which is a combination of Shrimp, Imitation Crab Meat and Small Scallops in Lobster Sauce with Pork Fried Rice and Egg Rolls. It was soooooo good!!!!!

Now I just finished it off with 3 Pepperidge Farm Thin & Crispy Toffee Milk Chocolate Cookies. My left arm is so hurting right now.
chgoeditor likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
InstaPot Pork Carnitas, with Plant Plower Califlower wraps along with Fresh n' Nova garlic sauce (I'm obsessed with this sauce also know as Toum) and Broccoli with butter.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Tonight, I didn't feel like cooking on my day off after I finally got my first shot of the Moderna Vaccine. My wife said let's have Chinese, and was told get Shrimp W/Lobster Sauce .. with Pork Fried Rice and Egg Rolls. It was soooooo good!!!!!

Now I just finished it off with 3 Pepperidge Farm Thin & Crispy Toffee Milk Chocolate Cookies. My left arm is so hurting right now.
Hope your arm does not remain sore for long , usually a day or so ..

Ours was a mix of take out and home cooked

From left , crispy batter bits , Indonesian style “ ayam penyet “ ( flattened or smashed chicken ) & then the home cooked steamed beancurd with pork floss , modified Nonya chap chye lemak ( our recipe ) and another attempt at wanton which shape has to be improved upon
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm frugal, but at some point, you need to throw things out because they lose the taste they are supposed to have or spoil.
corky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.