What's for dinner? -- 2022 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner? -- 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
When a French Michelin chef whips up a quick lunch.

Pintade (guineafowl) with bergamot lemons, and onions.

Endive with anchovy.

And of course cheese platter.

corky, work2fly and CoffeeTraveler like this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:41 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
When a French Michelin chef whips up a quick lunch.

Pintade (guineafowl) with bergamot lemons, and onions.

Endive with anchovy.

And of course cheese platter.
Looks delicious! We went to Jose Andres's new restaurant, Bar Mar, on Friday and got raw endive topped with anchovies and microplaned Manchego -- it was excellent and definitely something I'd copy to serve at home.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Looks delicious! We went to Jose Andres's new restaurant, Bar Mar, on Friday and got raw endive topped with anchovies and microplaned Manchego -- it was excellent and definitely something I'd copy to serve at home.
What is "microplanes"?

The endive salad was super simple. Dressing was good mustered, red wine vinegar and some water and a bit of pepper. Just excellent home cooked meal.

Another meal I had at his house was chicken in a little bit of vinegar. I still dream of that dish but he can't remember how he did it. It is just wonderful when they whip up a great meal in an hour.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:18 am

What is "microplanes"?
One of the trends in cheese the last few years has been "ribbons" of cheese (think those new age cesaer salads). Microplanes would likely be thinner than a few cm type ribbons (eg, pho rice noodles vs the standard rice noodles or fettuccine vs. pappardelle).
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
One of the trends in cheese the last few years has been "ribbons" of cheese (think those new age cesaer salads). Microplanes would likely be thinner than a few cm type ribbons (eg, pho rice noodles vs the standard rice noodles or fettuccine vs. pappardelle).

You mean like this?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
What is "microplanes"?
It's a grater that produces very finely grated cheese and citrus zest. It can also be used to mince ginger and garlic.

corky, obscure2k and Yahillwe like this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is "microplanes"?

The endive salad was super simple. Dressing was good mustered, red wine vinegar and some water and a bit of pepper. Just excellent home cooked meal.

Another meal I had at his house was chicken in a little bit of vinegar. I still dream of that dish but he can't remember how he did it. It is just wonderful when they whip up a great meal in an hour.
America's Test Kitchen did poulet au vinagre yesterday and it looked really good and like what you are looking for. Unfortunately, I am not a subscriber so can't access the recipe. Wolfgang Puck has one in his Modern French Cooking cookbook (his adds mushrooms). I don't know if it is online. They are both pretty simple...saute chicken and deglaze the pan with red wine vinegar and wine & reduce for the sauce and finish with butter. of course there are lots of other ingredients but that seems to be the gist of it. I guess it is a classic dish from Lyon.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Not really. Microplaned cheese is as light as air. It's not just a thin shaving.

No, for Tete De Moine those rosettes are usually created using a shaver like you see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%AAte_de_Moine

Originally Posted by TWA884
It's a grater that produces very finely grated cheese and citrus zest. It can also be used to mince ginger and garlic.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

The result is as is pictured here: https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food...ol-microplane/
Yahillwe likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor

BTW, I can't remember which Chicagoan turned me on to Fresh Farms, but we took a drive to Abt today and stopped at the Fresh Farms in Niles...our first time at that location and definitely our favorite of the three. If only it wasn't also the furthest of the three! Oh well, we'll just have to kick our kitchen reno plans into higher gear so we have more reasons to go to Abt and Fresh Farms. (I'll post pics in the dinner thread if I remember, but Mr. CE is doing some kind of Korean short rib stew, so we also stopped at Joong Boo in Glenview. I went to H Mart last weekend and was excited to find that they sell onigiri, so was hoping Joong Boo would too but no such luck. That Joong Boo is such an upgrade from the city Kimball location, which I rarely make it to because I usually throw in the towel just trying to pull into the parking lot. We were planning to go to Patel Bros., too, but ended up skipping it. I love that we have such great ethnic grocery stores.)
I think it was me, and you returned the favor with Sitka Shares.
There are technically two stores in Niles, one on Golf and one on Touhy. I think you probably went to the one on Golf, which would also be near Joong Boo and Patel Bros. There is actually one further from you too, as I think you said you're on the north side of the city. There's one in Wheeling, right on the corner of Milwaukee and Dundee. As far as ranking them, I think either of the Niles locations are excellent. The Wheeling location is 3rd. We sometimes go to that one for the produce as it's a few minutes closer for us. They have a nice meat and deli section too, but do NOT have the good seafood or bakery sections. I still consider Fresh Farms the best keep food secret in the Chicago area. I keep saying some day I'm just going to buy a bunch of vegetables there that I've never heard of and figure out how to cook them.

And yes, the Joong Boo parking lot on Kimball is possibly the worst grocery store parking lot I've ever seen.
BTW, we decided not to renew Sitka. We loved the quality of the fish, but we just didn't need that much. Probably gave away 8 salmon fillets to family. We decided we would just buy what we need at Boston Fish Market. It's comparable to Sitka, maybe slightly more. But we'll probably spend less overall since we'll buy less. Thanks again for the recommendation, we enjoyed it.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I think it was me, and you returned the favor with Sitka Shares.
There are technically two stores in Niles, one on Golf and one on Touhy. I think you probably went to the one on Golf, which would also be near Joong Boo and Patel Bros. There is actually one further from you too, as I think you said you're on the north side of the city. There's one in Wheeling, right on the corner of Milwaukee and Dundee. As far as ranking them, I think either of the Niles locations are excellent. The Wheeling location is 3rd. We sometimes go to that one for the produce as it's a few minutes closer for us. They have a nice meat and deli section too, but do NOT have the good seafood or bakery sections. I still consider Fresh Farms the best keep food secret in the Chicago area. I keep saying some day I'm just going to buy a bunch of vegetables there that I've never heard of and figure out how to cook them.
Thank you again! You may remember that the first one I checked out was the location on Devon, which is to Fresh Farms what the old Devon Patel Bros. is to the new big Patel Bros. -- a whole different world! (I'm referring to the Patel Bros. at Golf & Milwaukee primarily because I haven't been to the new Devon Patel Bros.)

We typically go to the Fresh Farms on Touhy -- I thought that was Lincolnwood but makes sense that it's Niles. I'd and yes, the one we went to yesterday was on Golf and we loved it. It just felt a bit bigger and less crowded, and I noticed some products that they don't have at the Touhy location (like Califia almond milk) that they did have at the Golf location.

And yes, the Joong Boo parking lot on Kimball is possibly the worst grocery store parking lot I've ever seen.
God forbid you approach from the east (north?) -- you could wait all day trying to pull into the parking lot.

BTW, we decided not to renew Sitka. We loved the quality of the fish, but we just didn't need that much. Probably gave away 8 salmon fillets to family. We decided we would just buy what we need at Boston Fish Market. It's comparable to Sitka, maybe slightly more. But we'll probably spend less overall since we'll buy less. Thanks again for the recommendation, we enjoyed it.
We're taking a hiatus, too. Given that we were able to dine out more in 2021, we just didn't eat it as quickly. Like you, I sent family home from Thanksgiving with about 8 portions of salmon. But Mr. CE is making a halibut chowder tonight. We'll revisit it once we've eaten down our supply. Given that Sitka doesn't lock you into a contract, I could see us doing it for a couple months at a time.
JBord likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Avocado and blood orange salad
Turkey lettuce wraps

Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

Why wait for breakfast? Home fries and over easy eggs. Also bacon and veggie sausage. Cranberry juice on the side.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
after a 3:30p luncheon

Trader Joes levain toast with butter

i have this exact microplane stick and Im not producing ribbons - whats my error? All my cheese is short! I love the form factor.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
America's Test Kitchen did poulet au vinagre yesterday and it looked really good and like what you are looking for. Unfortunately, I am not a subscriber so can't access the recipe. Wolfgang Puck has one in his Modern French Cooking cookbook (his adds mushrooms). I don't know if it is online. They are both pretty simple...saute chicken and deglaze the pan with red wine vinegar and wine & reduce for the sauce and finish with butter. of course there are lots of other ingredients but that seems to be the gist of it. I guess it is a classic dish from Lyon.
I checked out those recipes, but nothing like that. I know it is a Lyonnaise dish because that is where he started his career. It was incredible good.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have one of those. I didn't know that was the name of finelly shredded cheese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.