Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner? -- 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor

It just felt a bit bigger and less crowded, and I noticed some products that they don't have at the Touhy location (like Califia almond milk) that they did have at the Golf location.
My wife has an unproven but very possible hypothesis that each location, while having a lot of the same product, also carries products specific to the ethnic makeup of the area it's located. So some might be more Greek goods, some Baltic, Polish, Russian, etc. Her parents immigrated from Eastern Europe as children, and she grew up eating a mix of traditional European and American foods. In particular, she buys a bread from a certain country that she can only find in one FF store. I'm like a kid in the candy store walking through FF, so I haven't tried to figure out which is which .
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I have one of those. I didn't know that was the name of finelly shredded cheese.
Microplane is the name of the tool so it also is used to describe the method. Microplane is a name brand of IMO the best of these rasp type graters and it has become almost generic when referring to rasps and fine graters.
Yahillwe likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:08 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
My wife has an unproven but very possible hypothesis that each location, while having a lot of the same product, also carries products specific to the ethnic makeup of the area it's located. So some might be more Greek goods, some Baltic, Polish, Russian, etc. Her parents immigrated from Eastern Europe as children, and she grew up eating a mix of traditional European and American foods. In particular, she buys a bread from a certain country that she can only find in one FF store. I'm like a kid in the candy store walking through FF, so I haven't tried to figure out which is which .
That is definitely true of the Devon location, and theoretically makes sense because Touhy seems to have a lot of halal stuff. Though I would have expected more Korean stuff at Golf. That said, we were in a bit of a hurry so I did not do a detailed study.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by corky
Avocado and blood orange salad
Turkey lettuce wraps
You respond well to compliments. I feel like this picture is even prettier than previous food you’ve photographed. Well done. 👩‍🍳
corky, chgoeditor and Finkface like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 24, 2022 at 3:00 pm Reason: Removed "quoted" picture www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/2056737-request-your-moderators-concerning-pictures.html
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaVol
You respond well to compliments. I feel like this picture is even prettier than previous food you’ve photographed. Well done. 👩‍🍳

ALL her food pictures are mouth watering, and I am the first to ring her door bell when am back in LA. The rest stand in line please. we will give you the leftovers.
cblaisd, corky and Finkface like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Wow!! Flattery will get you everywhere! thank you---what a nice thing to say. Gosh.

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
ALL her food pictures are mouth watering, and I am the first to ring her door bell when am back in LA. The rest stand in line please. we will give you the leftovers.
Lol..you and Bama are making my day. Thank you, too!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked in the pantry and freezer and some “use by” dates were approaching on food I bought in anticipation of corona- inspired shortages. We already ate the first package of frozen Armour meatballs and decided they might be super balls left over from the 1980’s. The Mezzetta sauce was thin but tasted fine. The green beans are from the garden and the gnocchi had wonderful texture and took on a fragrance and flavor from the sauce and made it their own. Half a crusty loaf came from the freezer and of course shaved Parmesan improves everything.

Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
What's for Dinner

Grilled pork ribs, crab cake and sides.

Greek salad (inspired by a recent trip to Athens). First try, pretty good if I may say so!

corky, BamaVol and lamphs like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:42 pm

Sous vide (pan finished) salmon with broccoli, marinated carrots, wood ear mushrooms, and brown rice.
Mrs. CoffeeTraveler requested salmon for dinner. Came out nicely.
corky, Yahillwe, work2fly and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
Sous vide (pan finished) salmon with broccoli, marinated carrots, wood ear mushrooms, and brown rice.
Mrs. CoffeeTraveler requested salmon for dinner. Came out nicely.
It did!! What is on the salmon?

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 25, 2022 at 11:06 am Reason: Removed "quoted" picture www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/2056737-request-your-moderators-concerning-pictures.html
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by corky
It did!! What is on the salmon?
Trader Joe’s pineapple teriyaki sauce. Just a couple tablespoons added to the pan during the finishing steps.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Leftover bakery pizza:
arizmendi balsamic / walnut white (today)
black jet baking sourdough sausage (Friday)
big mixed salad with BEC croutons

Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What’s for dinner? Probably nothing. I didn’t have a dinner plan and we were out shopping at 1:30 and realized we were hungry.

Our go-to dive bar downtown is owned by a Chicago native who imports all his food from back home.

Italian Beef for me, Chicago dog for Mrs BV. Plus I get her hot peppers. Anyone who doesn’t want to see a half eaten sandwich should look away. I just wanted to show it wasn’t all sweet peppers. Beer and wine not pictured but they brew about 10 beers on the premises.
corky and lamphs like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I do not eat Italian beef sandwiches, but I've lived in Chicago long enough to know that that sandwich looks very dry. It should be dipped!
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I do not eat Italian beef sandwiches, but I've lived in Chicago long enough to know that that sandwich looks very dry. It should be dipped!
It really wasn't dry but I had a styrofoam cup of au jus. Not pictured.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.