Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
A lunch during the week when I am working? No. Never. With lunch on a weekend? A weekday while on vacation or a day off? Hell yeah. I'll even drink at breakfast those days.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
There was a time when I was drinking with lunch every weekday. Usually just a beer, but sometimes a whiskey&coke. I think it's just part of internet company culture. Now, I work from home, which means less drinking, since the booze is on my own dime and not the company's.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Been observing the French at lunch for many weeks over the past 2 years and past 3 weeks (nowhere near Paris or any major business centres, mostly in rural areas, white and blue collar workers). There's drinking at lunch, only if it's on a Sunday or if you're retired but generally, there's very little drinking by those who are working on a work day unless the drink is included. Even when it is included (and it's decent if not quite good), you'll see a fair bit of the 1/4 l a person left undrunk. We feel quite conspicuous by finishing all our wine, if not having wine at all.

In Spain, when a choice of a bottle of wine or a bottle of mineral water is offered, more often than not, we noticed that the preferred choice was water at least with younger white collar (presumably) workers.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:42 pm

I remember reading that the German workers brought over to South Carolina to get the BMW SUV factory up and running, went on a short strike because they didn't get their normal 4 beer allowance w/lunch. I think they gave them more $$ instead.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: AC*E, Accor Platinum, Hilton Silver
In marketing/advertising industry it's pretty common. Not quite Mad Men style, but a beer or two over lunch is nothing rare.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:27 am

Sometimes.

I used to work at a firm where half if the partners were of a certain religion common in Utah. It was unheard of and we hardly ever dis happy hour either.

Then I worked for another firm where religious undertones were less prevalent. It was a situational. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Exercising proper professional judgment.

Now I work for myself. I have a drink during lunch almost everyday. My clients pay me for performance and they get it. Never been an issue.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Depends on the situation - during work, usually no unless its a business meeting over lunch that kind of situation. On holiday or at home, I have done and will do so.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Bar in Office

I think the taboo against drinking during office hours is changing.

There are companies that are adding on campus pubs as a way to promote after hours collaboration. I've actually suggested it a time or two at my office and lets just say it wasn't dismissed as un-doable. We already have happy hours and parties on a pretty regular basis here.

With many companies (especially on the West Coast) moving to work life integration (as opposed to pretending work life balance exists), I think its a concept that could grow.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I think, in "Not The West Coast" (of the USA, I presume) it's a concept that never went away.

It's just that people judge more often that it's better not to.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:03 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by dawk
In marketing/advertising industry it's pretty common. Not quite Mad Men style, but a beer or two over lunch is nothing rare.

That's the industry I previously worked in. I remember the Friday rush trying to make deadlines. At 5:01 PM, bottles appeared on desks.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
If I'm traveling and working alone, e.g. in a hotel lobby, sure I don't mind one or two drinks before the evening. Helps pass the time. With others, it depends. If it's just me and staff, I would never offer it, and would be surprised if anyone ordered one. With my management, or my clients, I just follow their lead and will happily sip a drink if they order one first.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Apparently, at my new company's Christmas luncheon, it is common practice to drink.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:42 am

I'm working on a graveyard shift. My close friends are on the day shift. Sadly, those Friday booze night became just the usual Friday dinner out night with alcohol on the side.

My shift starts 12am, need to be at work by 11:30pm or so. Drank several times on a Friday before going to work and boy I say, it's enjoyable!

I am working as a phone operator and boy oh boy, believe me what they say is true: "The greatest stories does not start with a salad, but with alcohol!"

Cheers!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Doing business in France often means doing luncheons with customers for 2½-3½ hours comprising:
1. an aperitif
2. a glass of first course wine
3(+4?). one or two glasses of main course wine
4(5?). desert wine and on many occasions
5(6?). a digestif with the coffee.

One would think that negociations in the afternoon was easy, but everybody generally was too tired...
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:56 pm

I regularly have wine or beer with lunch when dining out. I don't see why I shouldn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.