Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I do sometimes. But I work for myself. And all my work is over the 'net and mail-order.

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
.. (my choice was "non-alcoholic" beer O'douls (sp? & is this stuff even made anymore))
Yes, they do, and it still sucks. The only halfway drinkable non-alcoholic beers I have ever found are made in Germany. Still not worth the effort/cost.

"Non-alcoholic" beers are still about .5% ETOH since it's a polar molecule like water and it's hard to break those hydrogen bonds. There's a Youtube video of a guy trying to get legally drunk off them. Let's just say it's not something you want to try.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Nov 14, 2013 at 9:24 am
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
It seems to me lunchtime drinking went very politically incorrect in the early 1990s
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
This is my last week at my current job, as I've accepted a position with another firm. It seems that every day this week, someone is taking me out for lunch. Each person is encouraging me to drink with lunch! Why???
They are probably male -you are female. Maybe they are trying to get you between the sheets.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
They are probably male -you are female. Maybe they are trying to get you between the sheets.
LOL, no, these have all been my female co-workers, all of whom are married or divorced.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the UK, a drink with lunch was entirely normal if you were in a pub or a restaurant (the ones near where I work often did lunchtime specials, which included your meal and a beer / glass of wine / mixed drink fro a set price). My old boss and I often had G&T Fridays, where we would have, essentially, a status update meeting over lots of Bombay Sapphire (and his wife would drive us both home that evening, as neither of us drank and drove). One employer provided wine with lunch every day - some days I had a glass, other days I was a diet coke girl, entirely depended on my mood. I have also been know to start the morning, pre 9am, with a large slug of neat liquor, in front of my boss (answers on a postcard as to what that job was!)

When I moved to Canada, I noticed far fewer people drinking at lunch, and also after work. But each of my bosses have been fine with a glass of wine or beer at lunch, and so when we went out for lunches, they and I would have a glass - sometimes others joined us, sometimes they had tap water. There are some people who give you the evil eye tho, so I refrain when they are the ones I am out for lunch with, just to keep the peace.

The French offices of my last company had staff cafeterias that served wine and beer with lunch - it was good food, a glass of wine (all at a discount thanks to the company!) all a short walk from your desk! When I was over there, everyone except our American co-workers enjoyed wine or beer with lunch.

Now, where I work alcohol is respected, but perfectly acceptable. In other words, you will have no issue submitting an expense for a lunch with alcohol, but for all events with alcohol, the importance of not drinking and driving is stressed, to the point we have a car service people can use if they have had a drink.

Last month, 4 of us kicked back in the office on a Friday early afternoon and opened a bottle of red wine - we are all adults, we are all capable of drinking 187.5ml of wine and being able to work - if you know you cannot, you don't imbibe.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thinking strictly about work, and leaving out mai-tai laden afternoons while on vacation, Sunday brunches and other such things...

We have no particular policies about alcohol in the workplace - except ensuring that everyone present is of age.

I did once have to put the kibosh on departmental lunches (really, standing around a counter and eating potluck) where the wine got out of hand. (I wasn't popular for awhile.) The breaking point for me was when it came out at 10am one day. But I'm much more relaxed toward the end of the workday. I usually have a bottle or two stashed in my closet for those moments when it just seems right, which often seems to be about 4pm on Friday after a looooong week. A quick word to my direct reports usually brings them in, we have a glass, chat for awhile and then pack up and go home for the weekend. No harm done!

A big celebration - major project completed, that sort of thing. Will include champagne but will also be toward the end of a workday.

I've never been part of the crowd - long commute and family waiting at home - but there is a fair bunch who regularly stop at a local bar after work. (and probably complain about me. )
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by kipper
LOL, no, these have all been my female co-workers, all of whom are married or divorced.
Cougars?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Cougars?
LOL, no.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Perfect.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I'm in academia, and on Fridays I'm pretty much done for the day by noon. So about once a month I get together with a recently retired colleague and her husband for lunch and we always have a glass or two of wine. Otherwise, I would never drink during the work day.
I do enjoy drinking during lunch if I'm on vacation.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Just had 2 glasses of wine with lunch.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
there is a fair bunch who regularly stop at a local bar after work. (and probably complain about me.
I'm a firm believer in not being present at every staff gathering, so at least they can let off steam and complain about me now and then.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:16 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I'm in the craft beer industry. It's frowned upon to NOT have a drink at lunch (actually, no one cares, but the majority do have a drink at lunch).

And prior to that, I was in advertising... and I worked several alcohol accounts, where it was frowned upon to not sample the clients product during meetings. On Friday after 4pm when we were trying to make last minute deadlines though, the office was an open bar.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mkt
I'm in the craft beer industry. It's frowned upon to NOT have a drink at lunch (actually, no one cares, but the majority do have a drink at lunch).
Y'all hiring?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Y'all hiring?
Seriously!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.