Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
One of the things I find interesting is that the shift in the acceptability of drinking at lunch occurred concurrently with the general degradation of American working conditions: cell phones putting employees on the clock constantly, stagnation of wages/the massive unpaid productivity increase of the American worker, decline of pensions - basically what began in 1990 and accelerated after 2000.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:36 pm

Brokers and traders of stocks and bonds on the W Coast drink like crazy at lunch. Oh course they're all done at 1:30 !
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
How common or socially acceptable it is to drink alcohol with lunch is very much culture dependent. In the US it's frowned upon in most corners of business, so you'll see very few professionals drinking at lunch on weekdays. In other countries where I've worked it's different. For example, workers in CA and the UK are more willing to hoist a pint at lunch and consider it within the bounds of professionalism. In months spent in Asia I've seldom seen drinking at lunch there, but I think that's as much because I've usually eaten lunch at company cafeterias and quick-order lunch counters, where alcohol literally isn't on the menu. We've drank generously at dinner to make up for it.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Went to lunch today with the classmates and it was drinks all around! Our most uptight member of our circle even cracked and had a cigarette when we walked back to the car. It was a nice way for us all to loosen up in the middle of midterm week.
Midterms in law school?

Having a drink at lunch during law school is not that uncommon.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
An alcohol ban where driving is involved seems fair enough, though not sure I see the link between a cut hand and drugs/drink.

During my time living in the US, I found there was a big contradiction between "society" tut-tutting the use of alcohol (though to be fair, this wasn't quite so true in Chicago), whilst the attitudes to drink-driving from my British perspective were circa 1970. I encountered many people who not only thought it acceptable to have half a dozen beers and drive home at night, but were quite prepared to tell everyone what they had done. Do that in the UK and you can expect to get shunned. Probably no coincidence that deaths on UK roads per km driven are a fraction of the carnage on US highways.
While the US does have a higher rate of deaths per km, there are a multitude of other factors that influence it and it's rather smug to attribute it to this one alone.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I can't remember ever drinking at lunch on a workday but by no means would one drink put me under the table. Amazing how some of you feel that having one drink would really put a strain on the rest of your workday.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I can't remember ever drinking at lunch on a workday but by no means would one drink put me under the table. Amazing how some of you feel that having one drink would really put a strain on the rest of your workday.
Everyone has a different tolerance for alcohol, based upon unique biochemistry and their history of alcohol consumption. That is why one person may be unaffected by a drink, while another's productivity would be affected.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Midterms in law school?

Having a drink at lunch during law school is not that uncommon.
Yeah we have a new format here at NC Central. There's a pre-assessment, a midterm, then a final. Grade breakdown varies but it's usually something like:

Assessment: 10%
Midterm: 20%
Final: 70%

My Dad (Cornell '75) thinks they coddle us too much, he informed me "you guys are a special breed aren't you?"
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by thelark
While the US does have a higher rate of deaths per km, there are a multitude of other factors that influence it and it's rather smug to attribute it to this one alone.
Not trying to be smug in the slightest and I wasn't attributing it just to alcohol. I appreciate that there are other factors such as lack of seat-belt use, plus US driving test standards are poor compared to most of the rest of the Western world.

However the sad truth is that alcohol is a major factor in road -traffic deaths. In the US in 2010, drunk driving accounted for 31% of the deaths on US road, a total of 10,228 human beings. By comparison in the UK in 2012, it accounted for 17% of reported deaths. That's 4,637 American lives. Forget the "war or terror", you need a war on drunk-drivers.

And at the same time, the UK's alcohol consumption per capita is 50% higher than the United States.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Not trying to be smug in the slightest and I wasn't attributing it just to alcohol. I appreciate that there are other factors such as lack of seat-belt use, plus US driving test standards are poor compared to most of the rest of the Western world.

However the sad truth is that alcohol is a major factor in road -traffic deaths. In the US in 2010, drunk driving accounted for 31% of the deaths on US road, a total of 10,228 human beings. By comparison in the UK in 2012, it accounted for 17% of reported deaths. That's 4,637 American lives. Forget the "war or terror", you need a war on drunk-drivers.

And at the same time, the UK's alcohol consumption per capita is 50% higher than the United States.
While I don't condone drunk driving in any way whatsoever (I've lost several friends due to others' recklessness), alcohol-related traffic statistics are grossly over-inflated in the US.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by ms1664
A couple of years ago I was visiting a client in the US.
She took me out for lunch, and we started talking about what we liked to eat in restaurants around the world.
Then she said "but in Europe, do you drink at lunch ??". So I replied "well yes some people do, some don't, if you do it nobody really cares, I sometimes have a beer or some wine".
She looked enviously at me and said "oh how I would love to be able to do that here in the US as well".
In a previous job I worked in the London office of a U.S company. Someone from head office came over to train the London team on some new software and our Manager took her and the team out to lunch on the first day.

He ordered 2 bottles of wine between 9 of us. The trainer declined and stuck to water.

3 weeks later there was a rumour going round that the London team were alcoholics that couldn't get through the day without a drink
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I never drink during work at lunchtime - mainly because it makes me sleepy. The practice has declined a lot in the UK anyway. But it's not usually forbidden.

I do find it enjoyably indulgent occasionally to have a wine or beer at lunchtime when on holiday - really gives me that "holiday " feeling.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA; AC; HHonors; SPG; BA
I get to drink on the job! Then again, I am a wine agent.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The place we ended up at today didn't have alcohol But! They let me bring in a six pack I bought at the gas station. Crisis averted!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Isn't the US a more drug (cocaine etc.) oriented culture and society anyway? No wine at lunch but then maybe a chemically enduced energy boost along the day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.