Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
This reminds me of pub lunches in London when most people would partake. In NYC we had a team lunch, and only 3 of us ordered a beer. I made a comment to the effect of "if you have one pint with lunch you get sleepy, if you have two you just function normally."

Unfortunately no one wanted a second pint...

And I know for a fact (mentioned up thread) that Architects enjoy imbibing...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm in! Now all we need is someone to drive our drunk asses home later!
I was working from home when I wrote that, so the prospect of taking off at 12:30 to spend the rest of the day getting sloshed was a) much easier to do and thus b) much more tempting!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:47 pm

Drank with lunch yesterday - 3 hour plus business lunch at Le Calandre with wine pairings, capped by prosecco on both ends
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: Golden Circle, Skywards
I drink with lunch each day, I shouldn't but I do, I can't pass up any cocktails that are offered my way
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:45 am

Drinking on airplanes is the best recipe for a hangover. Heard the cabin of a 747 is drier than the driest desert. Add alcohol to the mix and now you're brain is begging for mercy as it is dehydrated AND pressurized.

Also.. fact: lawyers drink - so who cares if a law student boozes at 11am?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I've had a couple professions in which I drank at lunch and often times breakfast. I used be to an ironworker, local #1 Chicago. If You didn't drink at lunch, it really meant you skipped lunch And just went home. Oftentimes, we, never made it back to work after lunch. Also was a floor trader at the CBOT, and when I was in the bond room, a couple of us used to go down to the bar for a couple of cocktails around 9 o'clock. Just to take the edge off.

Now I pretty much only drink at lunch on Fridays.... Old-age I guess..
Old May 1, 2014, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
When I was younger, and worked 2nd shift 4-midnight, I would always have two beers and a shot of Wild Turkey, with two cheeseburgers for "lunch" around 7:30pm. If I tried that now there is no way I could go back to work.

Nowadays, if I'm at home I'll have a nice glass or two of high end Burgundy with lunch, followed by a brief nap. If I'm at a business lunch we may have wine, but always followed by an espresso and no nap.
When I was working night shift in a Level 1 ER, we would head over to our watering hole after work... Yeah, they served a great cheap breakfast as well as cheap double too, really helped after playing with the gun and knife club victums.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
When I was working night shift in a Level 1 ER, we would head over to our watering hole after work... Yeah, they served a great cheap breakfast as well as cheap double too, really helped after playing with the gun and knife club victums.
Hah! Nobody drinks like ER doctors, but the nurses come close.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Hah! Nobody drinks like ER doctors, but the nurses come close.
^ but we do it responsibility
Old May 8, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Everyone in New Orleans
Old May 9, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Not today, but certainly at tomorrow's brunch cum Baby Shower. The father is a wine importer, so most important memo to self this month: Get driver for M&Z's Baby Shower Brunch Saturday
Old May 10, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: FB Platinum
A few years ago the place I used to work at was right next to an Irish pub. The lunch menu included either a soda, half a pint of beer or wine. I always had half a pint of Guinness with my lunch when over there. Of course the staff knew me, and I barely had to ask for the half pint at all

Now I work at a place that has a canteen, so no more drinks with lunch for me, at least when at HQ
Old May 10, 2014, 9:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was traveling today so I kind of did. I say kind of because it was an Iron City (I'm in Pittsburgh and figured why not?) and I think it had less alcohol in it than my mouthwash.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Drank with lunch yesterday - 3 hour plus business lunch at Le Calandre with wine pairings, capped by prosecco on both ends
As an 18 year old in the 'good ole days' you could return to the office and have a kip on your desk. Sadly I suspect those practices are generally frowned upon.

A retrograde step for civilisation?
Old May 13, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Presently in BKK, I didn't hesitate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.