Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm having a steak lunch with my Dad in Chicago today at about 2 PM. The only question is...beer or a martini?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm having a steak lunch with my Dad in Chicago today at about 2 PM. The only question is...beer or a martini?
My vote...beer or a heavy red wine. Martini is probably my favorite cocktail, but not with steak over lunch.

Gibson's again?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
My vote...beer or a heavy red wine. Martini is probably my favorite cocktail, but not with steak over lunch.

Gibson's again?
You know us so well! I think the idea of a draft beer and then a nice Malbec with the steak sounds pretty good.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:41 am

You know us so well! I think the idea of a draft beer and then a nice Malbec with the steak sounds pretty good.
Well, I think there's only about ten people who actively contribute to these threads every day on Dining Buzz, so it isn't difficult! I hope that the Gibson's management is rolling out the red carpet for you - to paraphrase Tony Soprano (in reference to Peter Luger's) - you're building a new wing on the place.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Well, I think there's only about ten people who actively contribute to these threads every day on Dining Buzz, so it isn't difficult! I hope that the Gibson's management is rolling out the red carpet for you - to paraphrase Tony Soprano (in reference to Peter Luger's) - you're building a new wing on the place.
Ha I just watched that episode, where Christopher gets mad he has to pick up the check when they go out. There are a few waitstaff who remember us there which is always nice. And you're right about DiningBuzz! but I like our tight knit cabal.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:46 am

Ha I just watched that episode, where Christopher gets mad he has to pick up the check when they go out. There are a few waitstaff who remember us there which is always nice. And you're right about DiningBuzz! but I like our tight knit cabal.
I'm going to take a wild guess that in real life the waiter doesn't chase Christopher and Paulie outside griping about the tip! Talk about a suicide mission. Enjoy.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Lunchtime drinking is one of life's greatest pleasures.
It implies you're confident or able enough not to have to worry about working in the afternoon.
Ideally it should begin with a sharpener just after noon.Not a fully-fledged drink like a pint of beer but a short,sharp waken-upper that draws a line in the sand between morning and the rest of the day.
The next drink should be a repeat of the same. Perhaps a martini so dry that a gin is poured and the vermouth bottle is just waved in its direction.
Then we're talking. Slide into a restaurant seat, peruse the wine list and dive head-first into the shenanigans.
" Bring me a decent bottle of claret,a couple of your most popular starters,adjourn ordering the main course for a while and keep my glass topped up old bean " is my usual instructions to the waiter.
Between the jigs and the reels it's soon 4pm and lunch is drawing to a close when suddenly you hear the magic words " I know a really nice bar just a short amble from here which does some corking pick-me-ups. "
A couple of hours later you've missed your normal train home and you're being bundled into a taxi because someone has the wizard wheeze of crossing town to another really good bar.
Normally strippers are involved at this stage.Not always.But quite often.
The next thing you know a pal is prodding you in the chest and saying " we're got 20 minutes to make the last train home we've got to move fast. "
There's always a tincture or two on the last train grabbed from the station bar as you're running to the gate and hopefully an understanding wife who awaits you at your home station as you fall into the car gabbling incoherently.
Of course she undresses you and puts you to bed.Good wives always do.
Yup, I still drink with lunch.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Two Goose Island 312s and a Malbec with a big steak for lunch...life is good!
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
It implies you're confident or able enough not to have to worry about working in the afternoon.
Ideally it should begin with a sharpener just after noon.Not a fully-fledged drink like a pint of beer but a short,sharp waken-upper that draws a line in the sand between morning and the rest of the day.
The next drink should be a repeat of the same. Perhaps a martini so dry that a gin is poured and the vermouth bottle is just waved in its direction.
Then we're talking. Slide into a restaurant seat, peruse the wine list and dive head-first into the shenanigans.
" Bring me a decent bottle of claret,a couple of your most popular starters,adjourn ordering the main course for a while and keep my glass topped up old bean " is my usual instructions to the waiter.
Between the jigs and the reels it's soon 4pm and lunch is drawing to a close when suddenly you hear the magic words " I know a really nice bar just a short amble from here which does some corking pick-me-ups. "
A couple of hours later you've missed your normal train home and you're being bundled into a taxi because someone has the wizard wheeze of crossing town to another really good bar.
The next thing you know a pal is prodding you in the chest and saying " we're got 20 minutes to make the last train home we've got to move fast. "
There's always a tincture or two on the last train grabbed from the station bar as you're running to the gate and hopefully an understanding wife who awaits you at your home station as you fall into the car gabbling incoherently.
I don't know anyone who can opine about drinking like you. ^
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I drank with lunch yesterday. Well, ok, lunch was an afterthought to the beer, because we were participating in a beer tour.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
When dealing with some vendors in Asia, since they are more blue collar than white collar, not drinking alcohol during lunch with them is considered offensive to them. However, I will drink out of politeness, meaning when they raise their glass, at that time I will too. My goal is just to be polite, not to get hammered with them.

Outside of those situations, my boss usually drinks some wine with lunch and if I'm out with him, I will have a glass of wine.
If it's with other coworkers, I usually go with a Coke Zero (no alcohol).
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:09 am

I love a lunchtime pint. Whether lunch is involved or not...
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Beautiful! This makes me want to push back from my computer right now (12:30pm) and spend the rest of the day getting sloshed!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well done. The only thing I would change would be to insert that the prime location for such an escapade is Paris.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Beautiful! This makes me want to push back from my computer right now (12:30pm) and spend the rest of the day getting sloshed!
I'm in! Now all we need is someone to drive our drunk asses home later!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.