Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
Isn't the US a more drug (cocaine etc.) oriented culture and society anyway? No wine at lunch but then maybe a chemically enduced energy boost along the day?
Cocaine addiction rarely ends well and signs of heavy use are fairly obvious - sweating, fidgeting, unfocused babbling, dilated pupils, runny nose, jaw movement, teeth grinding etc. Cocaine's no fun without alcohol anyway. It just makes you all nervous and paranoid. IMO most would much rather put up with a drunk. Sounds like the perfect way to get fired.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
London Cocktail Week - tequila tasting at 1pm today. It would be rude to turn down an invitation.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't the US a more drug (cocaine etc.) oriented culture and society anyway? No wine at lunch but then maybe a chemically enduced energy boost along the day?
Huh? I don't know anybody who uses cocaine at work. Where did you hear such a thing?

Caffeine is another story entirely.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:11 pm

I enjoy a beer or two over lunch from time to time, but I generally only do this when I have a large gap in the middle of my day and have multiple hours to kill between meetings on the road.

When I was UK-based, a pint or two at the pub for lunch was not at all uncommon, although not a daily occurrence.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Not while I'm working. Quite often on my own time.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Huh? I don't know anybody who uses cocaine at work. Where did you hear such a thing?

Caffeine is another story entirely.
Not meant so seriously, still, cocaine use per capita is highest or second highest globally in the United States, I believe.

Also, at least in certain parts of Europe, I do believe Americans have had the reputation of rather turning to recreational drugs than alcohol as their preferred vice.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
yuck, I can't stand alcohol... some 420 w/lunch is good though
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:15 pm

Not meant so seriously, still, cocaine use per capita is highest or second highest globally in the United States, I believe.

Also, at least in certain parts of Europe, I do believe Americans have had the reputation of rather turning to recreational drugs than alcohol as their preferred vice.
Proximity explains a lot of the high cocaine use IMO ! Speed is probably the bigger problem since it's stronger, cheaper, & harder to kick. No place in Europe has a 1500 mile border with Mexico. For Americans, the big deal right now is pharmaceutical abuse - Viocodin, Xanax, Oxycontin, Ritalin, Adderal etc.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Proximity explains a lot of the high cocaine use IMO ! Speed is probably the bigger problem since it's stronger, cheaper, & harder to kick. No place in Europe has a 1500 mile border with Mexico. For Americans, the big deal right now is pharmaceutical abuse - Viocodin, Xanax, Oxycontin, Ritalin, Adderal etc.
Not trying to ride the high horse, sorry about that. Pharma abuse is a big deal in Europe as well, seen that in my grandparents generation especially...

As for drinking at lunch, in the Europe and US only occasionally and on weekends if not required by business partners or customers. Also, if a friend wants to have wine or beer when having a casual lunch, who am I to say no?

In Asia, it comes with the job now and then. No way you are doing office work after a Chinese or Korean lunch banquet. The former and when with government officials, are the worst. Barely able to recover before dinner.

Agree, that the present US model is good from an effectivity and health point of view, but social drinking has it's merits as well.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
This is my last week at my current job, as I've accepted a position with another firm. It seems that every day this week, someone is taking me out for lunch. Each person is encouraging me to drink with lunch! Why???
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
This is my last week at my current job, as I've accepted a position with another firm. It seems that every day this week, someone is taking me out for lunch. Each person is encouraging me to drink with lunch! Why???
Because YOU can. Maybe they're jealous.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Because YOU can. Maybe they're jealous.
My current employer could still fire me!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
This is my last week at my current job, as I've accepted a position with another firm. It seems that every day this week, someone is taking me out for lunch. Each person is encouraging me to drink with lunch! Why??
They're hoping you'll spill some juicy gossip?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
Originally Posted by mandolino
Nah, they just want you to loosen up and get loose on the dance floor
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by mandolino
LOL, no, probably not. I tried to stay out of office politics.
Originally Posted by CMK10
Nah, they just want you to loosen up and get loose on the dance floor
Trust me, that's the last thing anyone wants to see!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.