Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 747FC
What kind of reputation do you want in the legal community? Will drinking alcohol at lunch on a school day add to your character and fitness resume?
Really? Before I first did this I: (1) checked the student handbook; (2) consulted a professor to see if it was something that was either prohibited or frowned upon...it isn't.

What's going to happen to me? "Sorry Mr. CMK10, your grades and resume are impressive, however, we heard this rumor that during your 1L year you'd once a week have a beer at 12:30 PM so no job for you"?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by CMK10
What's going to happen to me? "Sorry Mr. CMK10, your grades and resume are impressive, however, we heard this rumor that during your 1L year you'd once a week have a beer at 12:30 PM so no job for you"?
Exactly. No employer worth working for is going to do this.

I don't drink at lunch in a professional setting unless I'm traveling to a place where it is common and the person I'm meeting with orders some for themselves. And in that case, I only have one.

A student environment is quite different.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:28 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
No, no drinking with lunch, unless on vaca & I find that becoming less & less, not that I don't love a glass of wine or beer with my lunch but I usually don't like the effects a drink has on me later in the day.

As far as business, in the early 90s I had a client that would sit & drink 3 vodka doubles at lunch, nothing to eat. I was young & fell into his pressure to drink with him (my choice was "non-alcoholic" beer O'douls (sp? & is this stuff even made anymore)) I would eat. I told my boss about it and he knew the client & his habits. He was ok with me having a single O'douls with lunch if at lunch with this client alone.

Now at business dinners, one glass of wine. Two if I'm with a client I have a great relationship with.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siaa380
I think it comes down to the enviroment you are in. While you are in school socializing is absolutely necessary to help build your professional network. I am in buisness school and I have heard my peers having meetings with professors and company executives in bars. It helps eliminate some of the tension in the meeting. If in your group having a drink with lunch is normal then by all means partake. It shows that you care about the others by following the standard that the group has set.

Once you have finished school and in a corporate environment it comes down to the policies and norms of your organization. Obviously coming to work noticeably intoxicated will land you in trouble anywhere but some organizations are okay with a social drink at lunch. I have visited offices of respected organizations where alcohol was available in the break room

Finally when meeting a client you have to be aware of their company policy on alchol as they may not be able to partake. It's best to err on the side of safety when you do not know as you don't want to be the only one with a drink and appear like an alcholic or make your client feel pressured to drink when they aren't allowed.
It's ironic that, today, I bring up the subject of being a federal government employee. (I guess I'll be posting more because I now have a lot of time on my hands.)

I have always believed, as a government employee -- military or civil servant -- that you are on the clock 24/7. Perception is just as important as reality, which is why I have never had a glass of wine at lunchtime during the work week, even at scheduled social events. While a glass of wine or other alcoholic drink at lunch is acceptable in lots of situations here and overseas, the perception from the smell on one's breath lasts far beyond lunch. As a former commander and a current civilian boss, unless I was at the same lunch with someone and knew they had a drink, I was always left with the question of: "Was it just lunch or is there an issue?"

Having said this, I don't care what anyone else does at lunch and I am respectful of other customs and courtesies overseas. But, at least here in the U.S., perception is everything, and is worth considering before you order a beer for lunch.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
While I don't drink, I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a colleague, client or vendor having a drink with lunch. I work for a company where free beer/wine flows in the office whenever there's cause for celebration, anyway. In fact, there's a few countries where I've worked where I wouldn't be especially shocked about colleagues having a drink with breakfast.

However, a colleague being drunk during the working day? Ah, now that's a different matter.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:54 am
uk1
Suspended

Wrong way round. I have lunch with my wine.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:18 pm

I was common back in the day in Ireland and England for the Beer delivery truck driver to sit down with each and every pub owner and have a pint of beer he delivered.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Perception is just as important as reality, which is why I have never had a glass of wine at lunchtime during the work week, even at scheduled social events.
I totally agree with you, you never know who you might run into at any time of day. I like to think of myself of a brand and the way I act reflects my brands values. When someone knows that you work for a certain company you are reflecting your companys brand as well. Imagine running into a client that you have a great relationship at a bar and you are plastered out of your mind. Even though the relationship is good the next time you meet he/she is going to have that in the back of their mind.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There is a horrible vein of smugness running right through this thread.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:31 pm

I guess the question could be how much alcohol impairs an individuals judgment and how much impact their judgment has on the rest of their day - work or otherwise. I was on vacation in India last year and at lunch (on Wednesday) this Surgeon puts down a couple of beers since he was "done with surgery but only consulting at 5pm till 8pm" There was nothing appropriate to say at that point so I drank my beer
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm 28 now and during my 7 years in the working world drinking at lunch was .... a firable offense.
Fireable? Were you an airline pilot?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Alaska, American
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It's ironic that, today, I bring up the subject of being a federal government employee. (I guess I'll be posting more because I now have a lot of time on my hands.)

I have always believed, as a government employee -- military or civil servant -- that you are on the clock 24/7. Perception is just as important as reality, which is why I have never had a glass of wine at lunchtime during the work week, even at scheduled social events. While a glass of wine or other alcoholic drink at lunch is acceptable in lots of situations here and overseas, the perception from the smell on one's breath lasts far beyond lunch. As a former commander and a current civilian boss, unless I was at the same lunch with someone and knew they had a drink, I was always left with the question of: "Was it just lunch or is there an issue?"

Having said this, I don't care what anyone else does at lunch and I am respectful of other customs and courtesies overseas. But, at least here in the U.S., perception is everything, and is worth considering before you order a beer for lunch.
Heh, I also work for the US government. We are exempt from furlough (not "excepted" but "exempt") because we have money left over from last year or some such thing, so we are working ... This Friday, all day, is our unit's annual Oktoberfest. There's a beer making contest. There are even designated drivers for Oktoberfest ... Our mid-week, mid-day Christmas party has a cash bar. Our mid-week, mid-day summer luau has alcohol ...

I'm not saying that drinking at lunch is a regular occurrence around my office - it isn't - but there are situations where it is completely appropriate, and no one bats an eye.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Bagette
Heh, I also work for the US government. We are exempt from furlough (not "excepted" but "exempt") because we have money left over from last year or some such thing, so we are working ... This Friday, all day, is our unit's annual Oktoberfest. There's a beer making contest. There are even designated drivers for Oktoberfest ... Our mid-week, mid-day Christmas party has a cash bar. Our mid-week, mid-day summer luau has alcohol ...

I'm not saying that drinking at lunch is a regular occurrence around my office - it isn't - but there are situations where it is completely appropriate, and no one bats an eye.
Wow, with the rest of the gov shut down over money woes, I would think you should cancel that. Some reporter could really embarrass you guys.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Alaska, American
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Wow, with the rest of the gov shut down over money woes, I would think you should cancel that. Some reporter could really embarrass you guys.
I don't disagree! ... But honestly, MOST of the government ISN'T shutdown. The press and the president are just trying to make this seem like the end of the world, when really it isn't. But that's just my opinion, and probably not on topic for this forum.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA,UA,CX
Drinking at lunch time

I have been working in hospitality in Europe and in the USA. I have seen many conventions, training seminars, the lot in Orlando and Boston. In 11 years not even 1 lunch had wine, while at night they got wasted. In Italy, every single lunch had wines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.