Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I have reps in Quebec...

...who usually have a few beers at lunch pretty much every time we go out.
I also have a distributor in Winnipeg who likes his liquid lunches.
When I used to do international sales, both Denmark and the UK had a decent amount of lunch time tipplers.
In the US though it might as well be the 1920's.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:59 am
uk1
Suspended

I built a business that revolved around lunch. Clients were loosened of their signature over lunch. Clients were nurtured over lunch. Excuses were made over lunch. Lunch often started early and ended in the early hours of the following day. Everyone is happy and gets happier over lunch.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Attended a conference hosted by Airbus in Toulouse last year, with delegates from airlines all over the world. Come lunch time, and this being in France, there was of course a nice white for the starter, a red for the main and something sweet for the dessert. 75% of the participants happily dived in, most of the US contingent looked on in amazement and asked for water.

I'm fine with a beer or two for lunch, don't mind sharing a bottle of wine either if we are 2 or 3. In fact, I couldn't imagine going out for a nice lunch in business hours and not have a drink to go with it; one is not an un-cultured barbarian!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:14 am
Suspended

There's only one thing that beats a long boozy lunch and that's a long boozy lunch followed by late afternoon hotel sex.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by CMK10
No, but a lot of jobs I worked at required driving, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, outside sales, then a City Job as a 911 Operator. At the last one I cut my hand unloading a box one day and I had to immediately go take a drug and alcohol test.
An alcohol ban where driving is involved seems fair enough, though not sure I see the link between a cut hand and drugs/drink.

During my time living in the US, I found there was a big contradiction between "society" tut-tutting the use of alcohol (though to be fair, this wasn't quite so true in Chicago), whilst the attitudes to drink-driving from my British perspective were circa 1970. I encountered many people who not only thought it acceptable to have half a dozen beers and drive home at night, but were quite prepared to tell everyone what they had done. Do that in the UK and you can expect to get shunned. Probably no coincidence that deaths on UK roads per km driven are a fraction of the carnage on US highways.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
An alcohol ban where driving is involved seems fair enough, though not sure I see the link between a cut hand and drugs/drink.

During my time living in the US, I found there was a big contradiction between "society" tut-tutting the use of alcohol (though to be fair, this wasn't quite so true in Chicago), whilst the attitudes to drink-driving from my British perspective were circa 1970. I encountered many people who not only thought it acceptable to have half a dozen beers and drive home at night, but were quite prepared to tell everyone what they had done. Do that in the UK and you can expect to get shunned. Probably no coincidence that deaths on UK roads per km driven are a fraction of the carnage on US highways.
A good number of US employers have a policy that, if you sustain an injury or are involved in an accident at work, you MUST have a drug/alcohol test performed shortly after the incident.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
There's only one thing that beats a long boozy lunch and that's a long boozy lunch followed by late afternoon hotel sex.
My dream job.....
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:14 pm

My standard interview technique

Back when I was a boss I'd take a candidate to lunch. I order a brew to set the tone/permission. Then I'd see if he orders 1. a double bourbon, 2. a beer, or 3. demurs. For 1 and 3 I'd look closely at the veins in his nose.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:37 pm
Suspended

People often forget that the Three Martini Lunch used to be tax deductible in the US until various government curmudgeons, including Jimmy Carter in the 1976 Presidential election campaign, hastened its demise claiming poor people were subsidising the rich's drinking habits.

After the election his opponent, incumbent President Gerald R Ford, in a 1978 speech to the National Restaurant Association, responded with: "The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency. Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at the same time?"
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It really depends on what I have for lunch.

Sometimes I'll have a beer or a tea other times a glass of wine. The wine however makes me tired especially if I have a large glass so best avoided if I've got things to do in the afternoon. I'm self employed though so I can do what I want.

Don't ever recall drinking at lunchtime when I had a normal job and quite rightly so.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Went to lunch today with the classmates and it was drinks all around! Our most uptight member of our circle even cracked and had a cigarette when we walked back to the car. It was a nice way for us all to loosen up in the middle of midterm week.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by stut
While I don't drink, I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a colleague, client or vendor having a drink with lunch. I work for a company where free beer/wine flows in the office whenever there's cause for celebration, anyway. In fact, there's a few countries where I've worked where I wouldn't be especially shocked about colleagues having a drink with breakfast.

However, a colleague being drunk during the working day? Ah, now that's a different matter.
I agree with this. There's a major difference between a drink with lunch and drunk. In my academic life a glass or two of wine with lunch at a conference is standard. In my non-academic life at my previous workplace we occasionally had Irish coffee at 10am. Current employer takes a harsher line, but a drink at lunch is still ok if off the premises and clocked out (I don't think anyone does drink at lunch but then we are rather a long walk from the nearest pub). Mind you if I did turn up drunk (as a one off) I wouldn't be sacked unless I made a nuisance of myself.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Attended a conference hosted by Airbus in Toulouse last year, with delegates from airlines all over the world. Come lunch time, and this being in France, there was of course a nice white for the starter, a red for the main and something sweet for the dessert. 75% of the participants happily dived in
Nothing special about that. When I started working in the mid-80s, when sealing a contract at lunch, we even had a separate white for fish, between the starter and the main course, and of course a different red for cheese. A few people also had an Armagnac with the cigar or over coffee.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I'm not one to drink at lunch, because as others have said, I think it would sap the energy I need to get through the afternoon.

Earlier in my career, I would have been afraid of what other people would think, but looking back on it, I don't think a drink or two with a plate of food would have caused problems.

Usually it's not the drinking that gets people in trouble, it's what they do after they've been drinking

I've not been, but I understand French truck drivers have it made when it comes to drinking at lunch...I hope to join a few on my next trip there.

Last edited by work2fly; Oct 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i drink a lot. more than most. drinking knocks off that edge. maybe only 20% maybe only 10%. i do no drink when dealing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.