Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Still Drinks With Lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I've never hesitated to drink a glass of wine with lunch, including on weekdays. Depending on the kind of place, I'll have a beer with lunch instead. On Fridays I may order a second if I had a particularly good (or bad) week.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
For me the issue of drinking with lunch is almost moot as I rarely order alcohol in restaurants anymore. I don't like the price markup. It's difficult to enjoy a $9 menu-price bottle of beer knowing that I could buy the whole six-pack at my local grocery store for $7.99 or a $12 shot of single malt Scotch when the liquor store sells the 750mL bottle for $35. Unless I'm in a "damn the prices, I'm going to celebrate" mood I'll enjoy my meal with water, tea, or cola and drink alcohol when I get home.

Last edited by darthbimmer; Mar 13, 2014 at 9:29 pm
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by onobond

One would think that negociations in the afternoon was easy, but everybody generally was too tired...
This is the very reason I avoid any alcohol during lunch unless my decks are cleared for the afternoon. If I am going to have a drink, then I am going to have a drink - Nothing worse than counting down the afternoon hours at work half cut with a small buzz rapidly declining into drowsiness.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm drinking right now!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Not something I make a habit of, but when the company and the situation warrant, I see nothing wrong with the two beer lunch.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Margaritas at a Mexican restaurant always seem appropriate.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by javabytes
Not something I make a habit of, but when the company and the situation warrant, I see nothing wrong with the two beer lunch.
No, two beers would of course be completely fine...

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/picture/d...Beer_Glass.jpg

Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
When I was younger, and worked 2nd shift 4-midnight, I would always have two beers and a shot of Wild Turkey, with two cheeseburgers for "lunch" around 7:30pm. If I tried that now there is no way I could go back to work.

Nowadays, if I'm at home I'll have a nice glass or two of high end Burgundy with lunch, followed by a brief nap. If I'm at a business lunch we may have wine, but always followed by an espresso and no nap.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm drinking right now!
1- You were on vacation.
2- You are going to school and not working.

Gotcha.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
1- You were on vacation.
2- You are going to school and not working.

Gotcha.
1. Admitted
2. Admitted in part and denied in part. I work 48-54 hours a week at night doing a delivery job.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
1. Admitted
2. Admitted in part and denied in part. I work 48-54 hours a week at night doing a delivery job.
Wow and when do you have time to study?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Wow and when do you have time to study?
Between deliveries. I don't sleep much. The good news? Top Third of my class, summer internship lined up, and I'll graduate with zero debt and savings so I won't have to take the job I don't want to pay off all my student loans.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a glass of wine with lunch last Wednesday! A colleague and I decided that we wanted to be slightly naughty (and just normal in Europe).
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Between deliveries. I don't sleep much. The good news? Top Third of my class, summer internship lined up, and I'll graduate with zero debt and savings so I won't have to take the job I don't want to pay off all my student loans.
^. proud of you.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Today beeing a non-working Saturday, we had some fish/seafood tapas for lunch and indulged in a couple of glasses of 2004 Puligny-Montrachet Premier Cru La Garenne. The normally slightly dull Saturday afternoon suddenly isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.